East Germany, then and now...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally have something to post on the photography thread. This is a look at East Germany just after the fall of the wall, and then at the beginning of this century. There is some political stuff leading up to the photos, but since this is the photo thread, ignore it and check out the photos...actually, I just linked to the spiegal article that just has the photos...

http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-59943.html

If you are interested in a political piece on the photos, you have to go to the study, the photos are also on display there. In the original article the author describes his visit to East Germany before the wall fell.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great article Bill, and stunning photos.

This is the sort of thing I love to photograph myself. These are some photos I took of the Boott Cotton Mills as they were being restored to a residential/multi-use complex. Boarding House Park (so named, because the building behind it was a boarding house that lodged mill workers) has outdoor concert in the summer :)

Click on any of the photos for a larger size.

Lowell 2 327 by Sikaranista, on Flickr

Renovations In Progress by Sikaranista, on Flickr

Boarding House Park by Sikaranista, on Flickr

Lowell 2 324 by Sikaranista, on Flickr

SnyderD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Big fan of black and white photos...so these are just wonderful to me. Thanks for posting them.