Duke Football Sucks!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
...at least, according to Duke U.:

Judge: Duke football indeed stinks

The News & Observer reported that the school avoided paying the University of Louisville $450,000 for opting out of three football games. Duke lawyers essentially had argued that the Blue Devils were so bad any Division I team could have replaced them on the Cardinals' schedule.

Louisville's breach of contract suit, filed in Franklin County (Ky.) Circuit Court, was dismissed by Judge Phillip J. Shepherd on Thursday. The contract had called for a penalty of $150,000 per game to be assessed if a date with a "team of similar stature" could not be scheduled in the event of a cancellation.

According to the Louisville Courier-Journal, the judge's summary included the following:

"At oral argument, Duke (with a candor perhaps more attributable to good legal strategy than to institutional modesty) persuasively asserted that this is a threshold that could not be any lower."

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Surely Duke could not be any worse than my old alma mater, Columbia University, which at one point broke a record for an Ivy League losing streak with something like thirty or more lost games in a row (and this in probably the weakest NAACP league in the country), before accidentally winning one... we were so disappointed when that happened! There we were, on our way to true immortality... :D

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was at Brown we'd go to the football games. When Dartmouth came they'd chant:

What's the color of money? Green!
What's the color of ****? Brown!

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was at Brown we'd go to the football games. When Dartmouth came they'd chant:

What's the color of money? Green!
What's the color of ****? Brown!

That's Dartmouth for you, eh?

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah. If I read one more letter to the editor in the NY Times about their problems with alumni control of the board etc. then I may just lose control.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah. If I read one more letter to the editor in the NY Times about their problems with alumni control of the board etc. then I may just lose control.

No question in my mind, they're the most reactionary, backward-looking, snot-elitest of the Ivies. People talk about Princeton that way (or used to), but for my money, Dartmouth beats the hell of everyone else in the Good Old (19th Century Mindset) Boy competition....

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I myself since I live in WEST VIRGINIA I am a huge WVU fan. they should have been in the national championship last year