Drugs, sports and the Olympics.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
i guess this is kind ofa spinoff of the drugs and legalization thread, but maybe not too. But I been wondering about this ever since I took an antibiotic called clindamycin for treating strep throat in 2009, had an allergic reaction to it, and then had to take medicine to treat side effects of the allergy. Some of the medicine I took had steroids in it (which are ok if you have something that requires them by a doc and i got people in my familyjoking about me getting muscles like arnold hehe) but My question was, if an athlete got sick and some of the drugs prescribed to them had steroids in it or something else 'illegal' would he or she still be able to compete, would they get stripped of a medal, or would it be allowed because they were having it by prescription/permission from a doctor?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think even with a doctor's note you are plum out of luck.

But the system has gone into ridiculous levels. Tests are so sensitive already, they can detect traces that are well below any active amounts, curative or otherwise.

Naturally everybody plays dumb when the test comes back hot, but reportedly one competitor was sidelined when her horse tested positive for capsaiacine (spelling, I know) that was supposedly transferred from a broom in the barn.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The steroids that are forbidden are different than what you would be prescribed for a rash, or even for asthma (I read recently that some really surprising percentage of Olympic athletes have asthma, which made my 10 year old feel a lot better about his inhaler.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't really think that cortisone, for example, would show up in a test for performance-enhancing drugs. Or if it did appear, that it would be a problem. Anabolic steroids are more what they're looking for.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The steroids that are forbidden are different than what you would be prescribed for a rash, or even for asthma (I read recently that some really surprising percentage of Olympic athletes have asthma, which made my 10 year old feel a lot better about his inhaler.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't really think that cortisone, for example, would show up in a test for performance-enhancing drugs. Or if it did appear, that it would be a problem. Anabolic steroids are more what they're looking for.

I am not sure if there is a difference between animal and human competitors, but capsaiacine (spp, I still have not looked it up, I know) is not a steroid.
I keep forgetting why it was banned, it's a popular arthritis treatment.

There are a number of drugs banned that act as masking agents for performance enhancing drugs. Not all sports rely on steroids, there is the deal of nasal drops, that closely resembled adrenalin, and who knows what all.

I asked a cousin of mine about it, she rides competitively and let me in on how sensitive the tests are these days. Give the horse a dose of cough medication, you are out of competition for at least 3 weeks...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think a lot of children who have asthma are encouraged to go into sport as it improves their condition. I have two children who use an inhaler in my TSD class, ones 10 and the other 12. The inhalers are always within easy reach for them and they just get on with training, nobody takes any notice.

I want to know why pseudo-ephedrine which is banned because it's suppose to be perfromance enhancing ie gives people a 'buzz' send me to sleep! If I take any cold remedy with it in I have to go to bed and take it, I'm asleep in minutes, thats good of course but very odd.

OP
Blade96

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
i was wondering though if the athlete would still be allowed to participate if they had a note from their doctor saying that their medicine had some steroid in it.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think a lot of children who have asthma are encouraged to go into sport as it improves their condition. I have two children who use an inhaler in my TSD class, ones 10 and the other 12. The inhalers are always within easy reach for them and they just get on with training, nobody takes any notice.

I want to know why pseudo-ephedrine which is banned because it's suppose to be perfromance enhancing ie gives people a 'buzz' send me to sleep! If I take any cold remedy with it in I have to go to bed and take it, I'm asleep in minutes, thats good of course but very odd.

My son has only had to use his rescue inhaler maybe twice during classes; both times when environmental allergens were very high.

Psuedoephedrine does give most people a "speedy" buzz, but hey, codeine used to make me hyperactive (when I was a child). I don't know what causes it, but it's called "paradoxical effect."

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son has only had to use his rescue inhaler maybe twice during classes; both times when environmental allergens were very high.

Psuedoephedrine does give most people a "speedy" buzz, but hey, codeine used to make me hyperactive (when I was a child). I don't know what causes it, but it's called "paradoxical effect."

Codeine is something else that makes me fall asleep rapidly!

We have a lot of damp weather here, not so much rain but a very damp atmosphere and that seems to start the kids off needing their inhaler.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
i was wondering though if the athlete would still be allowed to participate if they had a note from their doctor saying that their medicine had some steroid in it.

There are different types of steriods, and they have different functions in the body. Anabolic steroids are what athletes use/abuse to try and increase their performance by increasing testosterone levels in the body well above natural levels. Coritcosteroids are used in the treatment of inflamation and some other uses, asthma medications and cortisol shots fall into this category.

Corticosteroids are NOT banned in NCAA competitions, so you would not need a doctor's note for taking them.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/domi/genrel/auto_pdf/ncaa-banned-substance-list.pdf

Here is the banned list for Olympic competitions:
http://www.wada-ama.org/en/World-An...rds/Prohibited-List/The-2011-Prohibited-List/

Here is an article that talks about a case of an asthma inhaler etc.
http://www.wired.com/playbook/2010/12/salbutamol-doping/

Here is a more recent event with an inhaler
http://tvnz.co.nz/othersports-news/aussie-banned-wrong-asthma-inhaler-3741064

OP
Blade96

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok so it says glococorticosteroids are banned i have no idea if mine was one of them or just a corticosteroid but again i wonder anabolic steroids are a copy of testosterone and the steroids i had were most probably to reduce the inflammation from the fissure i suffered so if someone had a condition where they had some anabolic steroids medically maybe they needed extra testosterone or something, and they had a note from their hospitals or doctors, they wouldnt be allowed to compete because they had a anabolic steroid in them with permission from their doc?

Just a question i was wondering. i might be totally wrong but hey. My questions. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok so it says glococorticosteroids are banned i have no idea if mine was one of them or just a corticosteroid but again i wonder anabolic steroids are a copy of testosterone and the steroids i had were most probably to reduce the inflammation from the fissure i suffered so if someone had a condition where they had some anabolic steroids medically maybe they needed extra testosterone or something, and they had a note from their hospitals or doctors, they wouldnt be allowed to compete because they had a anabolic steroid in them with permission from their doc?

Just a question i was wondering. i might be totally wrong but hey. My questions. :)

Blade dear, did you take a breath when you wrote all that sentence? :)

I don't think anabolic steroids are allowed under any circumstances, I think you'd have to wait until they had passed out of your system.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I am not aware of any conditions which would require an anabolic steroid for treatment; even if there were some legitimate reasons to take these, there are far too many crooked doctors and crooked governments willing to "write the note" for Olympic gold. This is why the bans are in place in the first place, and why the testers are an independent body not beholden to any nation.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am not aware of any conditions which would require an anabolic steroid for treatment; even if there were some legitimate reasons to take these, there are far too many crooked doctors and crooked governments willing to "write the note" for Olympic gold. This is why the bans are in place in the first place, and why the testers are an independent body not beholden to any nation.

Dont shoot me if I got this wrong:
But anabolic steroids are used in geriatric medicine. Not to help build muscle, but to help prevent muscle loss...
But then again, if you need them, I don't think you'll be a candidate for the Olympics....

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dont shoot me if I got this wrong:
But anabolic steroids are used in geriatric medicine. Not to help build muscle, but to help prevent muscle loss...
But then again, if you need them, I don't think you'll be a candidate for the Olympics....

Here's what Wikipedia has to say on medical uses of anabolic steroids (FWIW)

Medical uses

Bone marrow stimulation: For decades, anabolic steroids were the mainstay of therapy for hypoplastic anemias due to leukemia or kidney failure, especially aplastic anemia.[77] Anabolic steroids have largely been replaced in this setting by synthetic protein hormones (such as epoetin alfa) that selectively stimulate growth of blood cell precursors.

Growth stimulation: Anabolic steroids can be used by pediatric endocrinologists to treat children with growth failure.[78] However, the availability of synthetic growth hormone, which has fewer side effects, makes this a secondary treatment.

Stimulation of appetite and preservation and increase of muscle mass: Anabolic steroids have been given to people with chronic wasting conditions such as cancer and AIDS.[79][80]

Induction of male puberty: Androgens are given to many boys distressed about extreme delay of puberty. Testosterone is now nearly the only androgen used for this purpose and has been shown to increase height, weight, and fat-free mass in boys with delayed puberty.[81]

Testosterone enanthate has frequently been used as a male contraceptive and it is thought that in the near future it could be used as a safe, reliable, and reversible male contraceptive.[50][82]

Anabolic steroids have been found in some studies to increase lean body mass and prevent bone loss in elderly men.[83][84][85] However, a 2006 placebo-controlled trial of low-dose testosterone supplementation in elderly men with low levels of testosterone found no benefit on body composition, physical performance, insulin sensitivity, or quality of life.[86]

Used in hormone replacement therapy for men with low levels of testosterone and is also effective in improving libido for elderly males.[87][88][89][90]

Used to treat Gender Identity Disorder by producing secondary male characteristics, such as a deeper voice, increased bone and muscle mass, facial hair, increased levels of red blood cells and clitoral enlargement in female-to-male patients.[91]

Most of these "legitimate" uses of anabolic steroids, many of which have been replaced with better therapies, would tend to preclude you from being an Olympic contender (except maybe in Curling).

OP
Blade96

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
hmmmm. so even with a doctor's note, they would still haveto wait until they got better to compete in the olympics?

Latest Discussions