Dripping Faucets Will Keep Pipes From Freezing

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have always let our faucets drip in the coldest of weather. We learned the hard way what happens when you don't. Frozen pipes suck.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you know how I keep my pipes from freezing? I moved to a warmer climate... problem solved. LOL

In all reality this does work well. A little extra on your water bill at the end of the month is certainally going to be cheaper than having to get a plumber to come out and fix busted pipes.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've always heard that, but never had busted pipes. At my old apartment, the pipes in my kitchen sink would freeze because they were on the outside wall. I had to open the cabinet doors and other stuff. It always happened at the start of winter, because I forgot to take care of the problem before it happened.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's another - if your sink is not a pedastal and is encased by a vanity, leave the vanity doors under the sink open - this allows the heat in the room to enter around the pipes.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's another - if your sink is not a pedastal and is encased by a vanity, leave the vanity doors under the sink open - this allows the heat in the room to enter around the pipes.

Just be careful if you get up in the middle of the night to get a drink... it's no fun replacing cabinate doors...

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also talk to your water department if you plan on doing this. All of them that I have dealt with will give you a break on water usage if you let them know ahead of time. Plus if you live in an area that gets cold enough to worry about this problem, the local water department will have a wealth of information about how to avoid freeze-ups. Our local water department will come by and ask us to keep the faucets drizzling when it is going to get really cold to keep their water mains from freezing also (they are buried at a depth of 8 feet, but will still freeze at times.)

Latest Discussions