Dream come true!!

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've told my story once before somewhere here, but nowhere near indepth, so I just want to relay something to you and the lesson I learned about my personal journey just last night.
In 1993 I was 17. I was alone, scared and unsure of the future. I had had a dispute with my step father the previous year that had resulted in me being kick out on my ***. I found a job and rented a bedsit in Leeds.
I had been training in traditional Jujutsu and Aikido for a number of years and I had been training with an EPAK brown belt at the end of every Aiki lesson. My instructors knew that I was struggling, so they covered the cost of training on the condition that I set up the tatami before practice and cleaned them after use.
I was sitting on the bed of my bedsit one night when I looked up and saw that the ceiling was bulging. I moved the bed out of the way of the bulge and at around 0300 the ceiling bulge collapsed. The landlord didn't care. It was at that time that I really wanted out. I knew that Martial Arts was all I wanted to do, so I wrote to many prominant Masters of Jujutsu, Aikido and Kenpo. I waited for replies, just a sign that the people I respected the most cared. Only one guy wrote back, Larry Tatum. He sent me an autographed book, a patch and a two page handwritten letter, giving me advice on life and learning the arts.
I asked my Kenpo instructor how I could go about learning Kenpo fulltime. He said that I could move to Southern California, but I had no money, no visa and noway of survivng once I got there. His next idea was that I go to live in Dublin. He knew that I wouldn't need a visa to live there and that I could get there cheap on the bus. He told me that Dublin had the largest Kenpo community in Europe and that I would be able to find a fulltime school there.
Anyway, I saved 350 pounds and got the bus/ferry to Dublin. I didn't know anyone there, but stayed in a hostel on Gardner street for a few weeks, before landing a job at a small hotel working nights.
I went to numerous Kenpo schools and eventually settled at Professor Shay McNamee's place on Leeson street. I worked throughout the night and throughout the day I would train EPAK with Professor McNamee, Arnis with Paul Cox (when he wasn't jet setting) and on occasion Kickboxing with Mugendo's Richie Carton. In my latter years in Dublin, I trainined with Massan Ghorbani in Hapkido in Bray Co Wicklow.
Anyway, I always wanted to learn Kenpo in the States, so one day I found a copy of the Panther productions catalogue. There was four or five kenpo guys who had adverts in it, so I asked a friend of mine to check them out on the internet (I had no idea how to even turn on a PC at the time).
I saw Steve Spry's website and it mentioned Jujutsu, Aikido and Lua along with Kenpo. Because of my love for Jujutsu, I thought I would check it out on a training vacation. Well, what was originally a training vacation became a permanant move.
I left Spry's in May of '07, I believe when he closed the studio to pursue other passions and since then I have been training with friends in a non commercial environment.
I came back from OSUT at Fort Benning in Feb of this year and have felt the itch to begin training again and so I called Mr Tatum. He invited me to his studio for class last night and so I went.
I felt like a little child again! I couldn't believe that I'd at last realized my dream of training with Larry Tatum and what's more, I have been given the chance of becoming a personal student of his.
The letter he wrote all those years ago, has made such a huge impact on my life. Because of that one small act of kindness, I live in Southern California, just a stones throw from the beach, I can train in the art that I love with who I believe is the world's premier master, I have rubbed shoulders with heads of states and some of the most famous and influential people in the world and the most important thing of all, I met, fell in love and married my beautiful wife.
The most important lesson I have learned from Larry Tatum is this: To be a little more kind, for who knows what an impact a small act of kindness may have on the life of someone who needs it.

Thank you Grandmaster Tatum

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It is these kinds of stories that warm my heart and beleive in the human spirit...
Begood,
kenpojoe

i've told my story once before somewhere here, but nowhere near indepth, so i just want to relay something to you and the lesson i learned about my personal journey just last night.
In 1993 i was 17. I was alone, scared and unsure of the future. I had had a dispute with my step father the previous year that had resulted in me being kick out on my ***. I found a job and rented a bedsit in leeds.
I had been training in traditional jujutsu and aikido for a number of years and i had been training with an epak brown belt at the end of every aiki lesson. My instructors knew that i was struggling, so they covered the cost of training on the condition that i set up the tatami before practice and cleaned them after use.
I was sitting on the bed of my bedsit one night when i looked up and saw that the ceiling was bulging. I moved the bed out of the way of the bulge and at around 0300 the ceiling bulge collapsed. The landlord didn't care. It was at that time that i really wanted out. I knew that martial arts was all i wanted to do, so i wrote to many prominant masters of jujutsu, aikido and kenpo. I waited for replies, just a sign that the people i respected the most cared. Only one guy wrote back, larry tatum. He sent me an autographed book, a patch and a two page handwritten letter, giving me advice on life and learning the arts.
I asked my kenpo instructor how i could go about learning kenpo fulltime. He said that i could move to southern california, but i had no money, no visa and noway of survivng once i got there. His next idea was that i go to live in dublin. He knew that i wouldn't need a visa to live there and that i could get there cheap on the bus. He told me that dublin had the largest kenpo community in europe and that i would be able to find a fulltime school there.
Anyway, i saved 350 pounds and got the bus/ferry to dublin. I didn't know anyone there, but stayed in a hostel on gardner street for a few weeks, before landing a job at a small hotel working nights.
I went to numerous kenpo schools and eventually settled at professor shay mcnamee's place on leeson street. I worked throughout the night and throughout the day i would train epak with professor mcnamee, arnis with paul cox (when he wasn't jet setting) and on occasion kickboxing with mugendo's richie carton. In my latter years in dublin, i trainined with massan ghorbani in hapkido in bray co wicklow.
Anyway, i always wanted to learn kenpo in the states, so one day i found a copy of the panther productions catalogue. There was four or five kenpo guys who had adverts in it, so i asked a friend of mine to check them out on the internet (i had no idea how to even turn on a pc at the time).
I saw steve spry's website and it mentioned jujutsu, aikido and lua along with kenpo. Because of my love for jujutsu, i thought i would check it out on a training vacation. Well, what was originally a training vacation became a permanant move.
I left spry's in may of '07, i believe when he closed the studio to pursue other passions and since then i have been training with friends in a non commercial environment.
I came back from osut at fort benning in feb of this year and have felt the itch to begin training again and so i called mr tatum. He invited me to his studio for class last night and so i went.
I felt like a little child again! I couldn't believe that i'd at last realized my dream of training with larry tatum and what's more, i have been given the chance of becoming a personal student of his.
The letter he wrote all those years ago, has made such a huge impact on my life. Because of that one small act of kindness, i live in southern california, just a stones throw from the beach, i can train in the art that i love with who i believe is the world's premier master, i have rubbed shoulders with heads of states and some of the most famous and influential people in the world and the most important thing of all, i met, fell in love and married my beautiful wife.
The most important lesson i have learned from larry tatum is this: To be a little more kind, for who knows what an impact a small act of kindness may have on the life of someone who needs it.

Thank you grandmaster tatum

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's awesome. :asian:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was just what I needed to hear in a week where I seriously needed a lift with regard to the human spirit and the river of life in which we bob along, seemingly helpless to change where it is taking us.

Cheers YL.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great story.
I am happy that you have achived one of your goals in life and that life has beed good to you.
May you study and learn forever
sheldon

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Great story, thank you for sharing!

a side note...I really need to organize a Southern California Martial Talk Gathering!

Grace and Peace,

Chris

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing and for reminding me to always take the time to share kindness.

Latest Discussions