Dragon & Snake

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If he isn't making it up, that's one LONG form...there is a northern Shao-lin form by that name, but this wasn't it.

OP
Seabrook

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
interersting any idea what system it came from

He is my former kung fu instructor, and he calls it the Black Dragon System of Kung Fu.

OP
Seabrook

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know about the Black Dragon system of Kung Fu?

Also, what did everyone think of the actual form?

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very beautiful to watch, Kung-Fu. He has nice control. I "saw" many applications in his movement, but must admit a few were lost on me... but then I'm not a Kung-Fu guy and I didn't really spend a lot of time analyzing what he was doing either. I enjoyed it.

pstar said:
...that's one LONG form...

You've never seen American Kenpo forms I take it. Parker Long 4 for instance..... that's a long form...pun intended. LOL

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
Does anyone know about the Black Dragon system of Kung Fu?

Nada...

Seabrook said:
Also, what did everyone think of the actual form?

Too karate-ish in movement, too tense in action, no sense of what was happening or why, just random movements put together. Honestly much more than that & my comments would be considered rude & inflammatory. I'm sure he's very good at whatever it is he does & can use it to defend himself adequeately, but I'm not seeing much CMA there.

Snake & Dragon for CMAs have always been espousing qi & the development & refinement of with fluid, supple techniques & deliveries. There are always exceptions to the rules, but as a whole, Snake & Dragon are "softer" and "meaner" because of it than what I saw in that video clip.

OP
Seabrook

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
celtic_crippler said:
You've never seen American Kenpo forms I take it. Parker Long 4 for instance..... that's a long form...pun intended. LOL

Very true CC.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
celtic_crippler said:

Long Four is pretty long, that's true, but compared to some of the Chinese stuff, it isn't especially long. There is a version of Fu/Hok (Tiger/Crane) that can take up to about 4 minutes, done full speed and power. Not every lineage of Hung Gar uses this particular version, but even the shorter versions can go over two minutes. I've seen a lot of other CHinese stuff that is quite a bit longer, and more physically demanding than Long Four. I'd say that kind of thing is more common in the Chinese arts than any others.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Long Four is pretty long, that's true, but compared to some of the Chinese stuff, it isn't especially long. There is a version of Fu/Hok (Tiger/Crane) that can take up to about 4 minutes, done full speed and power. Not every lineage of Hung Gar uses this particular version, but even the shorter versions can go over two minutes. I've seen a lot of other CHinese stuff that is quite a bit longer, and more physically demanding than Long Four. I'd say that kind of thing is more common in the Chinese arts than any others.

I've got one in CLF that takes about that long at full bore... 350+ plus stance changes alone. The trick is, it's considered an intermediate set!!! ;)

It all depends on what the set is trying to impart & how many different ways to set up & blend move to move, action to action... not just random hands thrown in with no linking of the body, hands & feet.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
clfsean said:
I've got one in CLF that takes about that long at full bore... 350+ plus stance changes alone. The trick is, it's considered an intermediate set!!! ;)

It all depends on what the set is trying to impart & how many different ways to set up & blend move to move, action to action... not just random hands thrown in with no linking of the body, hands & feet.

Yah, these things are gruelling. It's like running distance sprints, half mile or full mile. Too short to justify jogging it, but long enough that it's really hard to keep the pace up thru to the end, but ya gotta sprint.

One of my sets from Tibetan White Crane takes close to two full mintues, and it really kicks yer butt. It was actually considered a beginner set, designed to weed out those who weren't really committed to training. Back in the 1950s it was broken in half and turned into two separate sets, to make it easier for beginners, but I still prefer to do it as one long set.

OP
Seabrook

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:

Very true. The Tiger and Crane (Fu Hok Surng Ying) version that I know takes about 4 minutes full power.....man is it exhausting!

Latest Discussions