Saber Form

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's not a traditional form and the techniques are poorly done. I've seen this guy before - looks like he thinks a lot of himself. He may be the only one.

OP
Seabrook

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
pstarr said:
It's not a traditional form and the techniques are poorly done.

He is my former kung fu instructor from 1990-1995.

You say that the techniques were poorly done - how so?

Also, do you have any clips of yourself? I'm not being judgemental; I just am looking for some detail in the information provided and to see WHY you think he moves poorly.

I think the form was awesome.

OP
Seabrook

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
idonnou said:
kinda slow..otherwise is good

That is a heavy saber, and some moves are meant to be done with gracefulness over sheer power and speed.

OP
Seabrook

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
That was a guy?

Hardly the type of comment I would expect from a MartialTalk administrator.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
He is my former kung fu instructor from 1990-1995.

You say that the techniques were poorly done - how so?

Also, do you have any clips of yourself? I'm not being judgemental; I just am looking for some detail in the information provided and to see WHY you think he moves poorly.

I think the form was awesome.

The set is bogus.

Here's a Praying Mantis set... Yan Qing Dao.
This is a teacher from Taiwan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEMirBgcC0A

Here's another Praying Mantis set ... Moi Fa Dao.
This is a student.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJmznS8eVv4

Here's a Jet Li clip from WAY back in the day doing Wushu Dao.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP34fE-WLPc

Xingyi Dao.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU0RhruNwdc

Look at how they all play the sword differently but there are certain characteristics used by all of them that are the same.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
That is a heavy saber, and some moves are meant to be done with gracefulness over sheer power and speed.

Actually with the dao, speed & power are preferred since it's a single edged weapon meant for hacking & chopping as opposed to finesse type attackes such as poking & slicing like with a gim.

If the blade is heavy enough anything could be done slowly to build strength & balance with the weapon, but the blade should do the work for you by momentum, strength, power, etc....

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A number of the postures he perform don't exist in any other broadsword form I've ever seen - and I've seen a lot of them. His "coil right" and return to fighting postures or making a cut is incorrect as the spine of the blade should actually touch the back of the left shoulder when the coil is executed, positioning of the free hand is out of whack in many places...

No, I don't have any clips of myself. But I am sure if your clip was viewed by other traditional Chinese stylists who have trained extensively with the broadsword, you'll get much the same response.

I'm not trying to put him down - I'm just making some observations.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sifu Starr is correct in all his observations. There are basic skills & techniques that he doesn't demonstrate or perform correctly.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Clfsean- the sets you provided are absolutely authentic and good examples of broadsword sets that are found in traditional systems. Thanks!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I gotta agree. I am no broadsword expert, but I do train the Flying Crane Broadsword from Tibetan White Crane, and the Chen Tai Chi Broadsword.

The postures and flow of the form seemed odd for broadsword. The Dao is the tiger: fast, ferocious, hacking and slashing with less concern for finesse. It is also fluid and quick. The original film just didn't seem like it had that. It was broken up in odd ways, didn't have the flow, and used strange techniques, like a two-handed grip on the hilt. That would be very unusual for broadsword.

I don't know enough to say with authoritiy that this is no good, but it is certainly an odd set at the least.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I wasn't sure that he was trying to use a two-handed grip...it sure looked like it. The dao is a single-handed weapon and is never gripped with both hands (on the grip) as this would really foul up it's maneuverability, and maneuverability is key to effective use of this weapon.

One of the features of the Chinese broadsword is that it is whipped in very close to the body (the spine of the blade often touches the body) and then cuts out quickly and returns back close to the body as a preparation for another cut or defensive gesture. In the film, it isn't being whipped in to the body properly-

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It can see that he put work into the form.

But the Da Dow is not a 2 handed weapon.

And I agree that the Chinese broadsword is whipped in very close to the body and the spine of the blade does touches the body on occasion, although it can be painful, so I do not recommend it... not that I would know from experience :)

And I do Tai Chi sets with a very heavy bladed Da Dow and it can be hard to handle if you are not use to it. And there are some fairly fast moves in 1 on the Yang Style Da Dow forms that I do.

But I also use to do Chen style Da Dow and Shaolin with light blades and then I got my heavey blade and although it took some getting use to I like it much much better.

As for it's hacking a slashing ability... A brass water pipe in my basement paid the price.... well actually.... I did.... The plumber loved the story. And the Da Dow didn't feel a thing.

This is one of the reasons why I no longer train Shaolin. :)

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
Hardly the type of comment I would expect from a MartialTalk administrator.
First let me address this. I'm still a member of this site and as such will post as one. I appologize if my comments offended you. In the future if your posting videos of your teachers or friends and truly want no negative feedback, you may want to mention you know them and respect them and ask for only positive posts regarding the video. I honestly couldn't really tell from the FXs on the video and all. If you feel I have broken any rules you should be all means use the RTM feature and have the staff look at the post.

As far as the form goes, many here have commented correctly. The form is using a braodsword meant for one hand and intended for speed and cutting. If you think that sword is heavy try a two-handed broadsword. The presentation of this particular form lacked proper stances, balance, and in my opinion had absolutely no application to it. It looked like a combination of pieces of sword techniques from many systems thrown together without thought for proper body alignment, weapons alignment, balance, or application. As a presentation I will admit it has entertainment value, its obvious he has worked his flexability and such, but it doesn't look anything like true CMA to me. I'm not trying to down his skill or teaching ability, but you asked for our opinions of that video and I have given mine.

For what its worth.
7sm

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree.

In viewing the video again, I noticed that he changes the weapon into his left hand for a time and then puts it back in his right hand. In traditional dao forms this is never done.