Downgraded and Feeling Good

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Love this video. I just dumped Windows Vista over the weekend and went back to XP. And what do you know? All my software works now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm with you all the way. Just bought a new laptop which had the big piece of clunky crap installed. It was quickly replaced with XP and all is good.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ironically I was just in a meeting today with the director, one of our developers and the guy responsible for buying software whom the developer had convinced we NEED to keep up with the times and buy vista.

After a brief discussion as to the advantages the director asked me what I thought to which I responded “Vista Sucks” meeting over… we are not buying Vista

OP
Gordon Nore

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had a feeling something was really amiss. My laptop is a Sony Vaio, which came with XP. I jumped on the bandwagon too soon and upgraded to Vista. It was the first time I've ever upgraded Windows on my computer -- I've always used whatever version was loaded on the HD.

Vaio kept promising a special CD on its website that would correct the Vista problems. They kept pushing back the release date. I gave up looking at the updates.

I had a couple of video editing programs that wouldn't work on Vista -- couldn't even capture video. Another program, called Inspiration, wouldn't work either. It's a graphic organizer that I use a lot when creating lessons for students, for my online course assignments, etc.

Error messages all the time. It was a nightmare. So I went out and bought a twenty gig external vault, which connects via USB, moved all my files and started from scratch.

XP works like a charm.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
XP works nice but Vista has way to many holes in it for me to upgrade now. All my friends in the computer business hate vista and have warned me about letting them figure out the problems first before I upgrade.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just want a viable Linux alternative to PhotoShop CS2, and CorelDraw X3. Once I find those, I'm ash canning Microsoft right off the computer, and going Linux all the way.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll go back to 2k before going to Vista.

I've got 2 mac's in a box here hat if need be I'll start learning how to use.

Course we aren't alone in disliking Vista.

A survey by King Research has found that Ninety percent of IT professionals have concerns using Vista, with compatibility, stability and cost being their key reasons. Interestingly, forty four percent of companies surveyed are considering switching to non-Windows operating systems, and nine percent of those have already started moving to their selected alternative. "The concerns about Vista specified by participants were overwhelmingly related to stability. Stability in general was frequently cited, as well as compatibility with the business software that would need to run on Vista," said Diane Hagglund of King Research.
From Slashdot.org

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not a tech guy (though I sort of masquerade as one at work; in the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king... and I was dumb enough to let my boss find out that I'm not limited to the barest use of the installed programs.)

But I'd swear that we did this before with Microsoft.

In fact, I'd swear we did it at least twice. First, with Windows 2000. Then with XP.

Why the hell does Microsoft keep releasing stuff that's not ready, doesn't do half of what it was supposed to, or makes marginal "improvement" with huge cost or complications?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why the hell does Microsoft keep releasing stuff that's not ready, doesn't do half of what it was supposed to, or makes marginal "improvement" with huge cost or complications?

It's all about the $

Don't buy any microsoft OS until the first service pack. Service Pack seems to stand for "We will fix some of our blatantly obvious screwups"

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
It's all about the $

Don't buy any microsoft OS until the first service pack. Service Pack seems to stand for "We will fix some of our blatantly obvious screwups"

Second service pack for me, hell, my work GIS machine is a Windows 2K that I won't let anyone touch, the thing works, don't mess with it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's all about the $

I guess the better question is why the hell do so many of us tolerate that sort of behavior...

I'm sure many of us have seen the car manufacturer's description of how cars would be, if made by Microsoft. Stopping randomly for no reason, requiring you to prove that you actually bought the car from a licensed dealer, etc.

I'm honestly too chicken to try Linux or some of the other OS out there; they all seem to require more than a little technical knowhow, and I know just enough to be able to actually work with the IT people and actually be useful, or to have one IT guy in particular lose me after 3 words, because I actually understand enough for him to think I understand more, if you get what I mean.

I don't know... sometimes I wonder if lots of software companies aren't just reinventing things that work just fine solely to force people to upgrade...

ejaazi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've got an iMac. Way better than Microsoft. You can also run Windows on it if you want to.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've got an iMac. Way better than Microsoft. You can also run Windows on it if you want to.
As long as you don't mind limited software (especially for gamers, Myst doesn't cut it anymore), an inability to customize/upgrade internal hardware, and oh yeah, that big price thing.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I don’t know what it is but every time I hear Vista…. .I am thinking Millennium Edition….

And I was forced into Mac training a few months back (a lot of it). Although I like Macs after that I just do not have the time to keep up with them and besides Steve Jobs claims to have no interest in Enterprise so.....

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why do they call it an "upgrade" if it doesn't work as well?

Ubuntu. Mac.

Latest Discussions