Dojo location etiquette

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok, a Chevron, a Shell, and an Arco on the same corner.
Perhaps different property owners. If it was the same landlord, they’d most likely have a problem with it. If I own a property and a guy wants to open a gas station on it, I don’t care what’s across the street, next door nor anywhere else. Not my property, not my gas station, not my problem. My only concern is getting my rent money.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don’t know the ins and outs of retail leases, but for a big box stand-alone store (not inside a traditional mall), it may be the norm. That doesn’t mean no one can lease the building for 10 years after they vacate it; it means the landlord can’t lease it to a direct competitor. So if I own a building I lease to Home Depot, there could very well be a clause that I can’t lease it to Lowe’s for a period after Home Depot vacates it. Anyone else but HD and the like.
Yeah, I dunno if it’s the norm, but it sure as hell seems onerous to me. I would not rent space to them in the first place, if they would not remove that clause. If I’m the landlord, I write the lease.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I dunno if it’s the norm, but it sure as hell seems onerous to me. I would not rent space to them in the first place, if they would not remove that clause. If I’m the landlord, I write the lease.
I agree. But then again, if they want that clause, charge them enough for rent for it to be a non-issue. By the number of Circuit City stores there were, it was worth it. People built or altered buildings to their specs for them. I’m quite sure they made it worthwhile.

If I’m going to build you a MA studio to your specs and can’t rent it to another MA school for 10 years after you’re gone (but I can rent it to anyone else), I’m going to charge you far more than the going rate in order to protect myself.

Not only that, but having a big chain store is an anchor store - it makes it far more appealing to smaller stores for the rest of your property.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From the landlord's perspective, they put competing businesses in those places all the time (two shoe stores, two clothing stores, etc.), so he might not understand the extra strain this could cause for a new/struggling school.
I can see a "mild" argument that a MA school is considered a service industry instead of a retail store. I don't know it that really holds water but there is much more commonality in the retail model so duplication is, well common.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of bigger businesses will have that clause - Target and Walmart, Home Depot and Lowe’s, etc. Circuit City even had the clause that they couldn’t lease to another electronics store like Best Buy for I think it was 10 years AFTER they vacated. No idea how that’s enforceable as they’re out of business, but someone somewhere was enforcing it because there were several that remained unoccupied for quite some time, and a local building owner was forced into honoring it. And I remember Circuit City wanting to move into a new development a long time ago but couldn’t because there was a Tweeter already in the plaza. They went in within a month of Tweeter closing. Yeah, I knew a guy who worked for Circuit City.
Larger businesses like that are desirable enough to negotiate that kind of contract. I doubt many smaller shops can manage it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a lot of cases, those businesses are the draw - the anchors. If you have that big business drawing traffic, you can more easily fill the smaller spaces, and even the other big spaces. It's a risk-reward decision.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see a "mild" argument that a MA school is considered a service industry instead of a retail store. I don't know it that really holds water but there is much more commonality in the retail model so duplication is, well common.
That's a reasonable argument, and one that could probably be made with a reasonable landlord. Without that argument being made, I can't see why most landlords would balk at renting to the other MA place - those landlords are used to dealing in the retail space, so are likely to think of it like a retail business.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree. But then again, if they want that clause, charge them enough for rent for it to be a non-issue. By the number of Circuit City stores there were, it was worth it. People built or altered buildings to their specs for them. I’m quite sure they made it worthwhile.

If I’m going to build you a MA studio to your specs and can’t rent it to another MA school for 10 years after you’re gone (but I can rent it to anyone else), I’m going to charge you far more than the going rate in order to protect myself.

Not only that, but having a big chain store is an anchor store - it makes it far more appealing to smaller stores for the rest of your property.
Good points, but I guess I am simply at a loss to understand what possible advantage this kind of clause would do the business. It almost comes across as vindictive, a punishment to the landlord if the big box moves or goes out of business. I suppose it acts to suppress the expansion of a direct competitor, but once they have gone out of business or decided to move elsewhere, I just don’t see the justification for it. Ten years? Holy crap. I would insert a clause to charge them 12 years rent after they vacate, even if I was able to rent to a non-competitor in the meantime.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good points, but I guess I am simply at a loss to understand what possible advantage this kind of clause would do the business. It almost comes across as vindictive, a punishment to the landlord if the big box moves or goes out of business. I suppose it acts to suppress the expansion of a direct competitor, but once they have gone out of business or decided to move elsewhere, I just don’t see the justification for it. Ten years? Holy crap. I would insert a clause to charge them 12 years rent after they vacate, even if I was able to rent to a non-competitor in the meantime.
It is specifically to avoid giving a helping hand to the competition if they decide to leave a location. So, Best Buy might decide to move a mile away, and don't want to turn over their well-known location to a competitor who would benefit from all the folk who'd drive there (forgetting Best Buy had moved) and just decide to shop at whatever store is there.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Update; the guy posted on fb that the bjj owner came over and introduced himself and the other tkd (or kenpo as pointed out idk I haven't even looked might've got them confused but whatever) guy said that he said to the bjj instructor that it was extremely disrespectful and then the bjj guy said that he hoped that it could benefit all students and the guy responded that he'd been there for years and did just fine without him...

Now to me that's just totally arrogant. The bjj guy came over trying to be nice and he just acts like that...there's no need for it in my opinion. It's not disrespectful at all. The guys trying to run a business he probably doesn't even know who this guy is because they're from different styles. That just shows the ego of a lot of martial artists. The comments are even worse with one person saying that the bjj guy should've come over and asked him permission to open his club....umm no just no...it's none of the TKD guys business if a dude from a totally different style opens a school. It's just plain ego and arrogance on display.

I spent a few years living and training in jersey in the Chanel islands (long time ago now currently living in New York for those interested) but I. Jersey the biggest place was an old fort that's now a huge sport venue and literally in about 100 yards of each other is 4 different martial art clubs. You could take 30 steps and walk past each of them. 2 kenpo schools, a shotokan club and a bjj club and each do business just fine. And in that same building there's also a taekwondo club, a shito-Ryu club, a boxing club and a Muay Thai club all in the same complex and they all do just fine and no one is "disrespected" by the other.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Update; the guy posted on fb that the bjj owner came over and introduced himself and the other tkd (or kenpo as pointed out idk I haven't even looked might've got them confused but whatever) guy said that he said to the bjj instructor that it was extremely disrespectful and then the bjj guy said that he hoped that it could benefit all students and the guy responded that he'd been there for years and did just fine without him...

Now to me that's just totally arrogant. The bjj guy came over trying to be nice and he just acts like that...there's no need for it in my opinion. It's not disrespectful at all. The guys trying to run a business he probably doesn't even know who this guy is because they're from different styles. That just shows the ego of a lot of martial artists. The comments are even worse with one person saying that the bjj guy should've come over and asked him permission to open his club....umm no just no...it's none of the TKD guys business if a dude from a totally different style opens a school. It's just plain ego and arrogance on display.

I spent a few years living and training in jersey in the Chanel islands (long time ago now currently living in New York for those interested) but I. Jersey the biggest place was an old fort that's now a huge sport venue and literally in about 100 yards of each other is 4 different martial art clubs. You could take 30 steps and walk past each of them. 2 kenpo schools, a shotokan club and a bjj club and each do business just fine. And in that same building there's also a taekwondo club, a shito-Ryu club, a boxing club and a Muay Thai club all in the same complex and they all do just fine and no one is "disrespected" by the other.
Just from this one update, the bjj guy has class and the tkd/kenpo guy doesnt. If i saw this on fb, id be much more likely to join the bjj school, and might even leave the tkd/kenpo one.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Larger businesses like that are desirable enough to negotiate that kind of contract. I doubt many smaller shops can manage it.

According to our real estate broker, exclusivity clauses are common among specialized service businesses, and less common among small shops and restaurants.

We wanted to move into a certain spot here in our town, but it was technically part of the same shopping complex that one of our competitors was in (it kind of zig zags around with multiple different buildings), and that competitor had an exclusivity clause. So even though they had multiple open spots, and were looking for tenants, and we wanted to rent from them, we couldn't. This same shopping complex has 2 phone stores and 2 hair salons, so I didn't think it would be an issue, but.... it was.

It probably depends party on supply and demand. At the time that that competitor moved there, he was the only martial arts school in town and had been in business for years, so he probably had a strong negotiating position to demand that clause. Hair salons, on the other hand, are a dime a dozen, so the landlord was probably in a position to go "if you demand that, I'll just get a different salon".

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just a quick note people: this is not made to have a go at the instructor in question. I saw the post and all the comments and it just made me interested in what the people hear think. That's why I'm not naming names. There's no need for that I was just using that story as context. I don't wish to offend anyone or slander anyone's business. Again I will not be using names out here in public or anywhere. I'm interested in the discussion that's all and it seems to have been a good discussion so far

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's a reasonable argument, and one that could probably be made with a reasonable landlord. Without that argument being made, I can't see why most landlords would balk at renting to the other MA place - those landlords are used to dealing in the retail space, so are likely to think of it like a retail business.
I do not have a non-compete in my lease agreements. I seldom have space available. But I do not lease to startup businesses either.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
According to our real estate broker, exclusivity clauses are common among specialized service businesses, and less common among small shops and restaurants.

We wanted to move into a certain spot here in our town, but it was technically part of the same shopping complex that one of our competitors was in (it kind of zig zags around with multiple different buildings), and that competitor had an exclusivity clause. So even though they had multiple open spots, and were looking for tenants, and we wanted to rent from them, we couldn't. This same shopping complex has 2 phone stores and 2 hair salons, so I didn't think it would be an issue, but.... it was.

It probably depends party on supply and demand. At the time that that competitor moved there, he was the only martial arts school in town and had been in business for years, so he probably had a strong negotiating position to demand that clause. Hair salons, on the other hand, are a dime a dozen, so the landlord was probably in a position to go "if you demand that, I'll just get a different salon".
Or the MA teacher thought it was wise to include that in his demands, where as the hair salon people didn’t think of it.

My brother in law has exclusivity in his lease for his barber shop. It wasn’t in the lease offered to him by the landlord; he had to negotiate it and they drew up a new lease.

As for the cell phone stores, I see them practically next door all the time. Maybe that’s part of their business model somehow.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The BJJ studio in which I've been teaching my aikido/aikijutsu fun & games has not one, but two TKD schools in the same business park. It's never been a problem, and everyone gets along well. No clue why the slam-comments. But, people are interesting.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Whatever old world, traditional ettiquitte we think should apply regarding opening in proximity to another school doesn't apply in a mall, in my opinion.

Latest Discussions