Dojang Ninjas

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
How many BB instructors have had a wantabe "ninja" come to class and take a class or just watch a class, How did you deal with these bozo's? You know the type, a know it all.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How many BB instructors have had a wantabe "ninja" come to class and take a class or just watch a class, How did you deal with these bozo's? You know the type, a know it all.

Generally if an adult comes in to watch a class we tell them they have to get in and try it out (they really can't tell what it is like until they really do it). Usually these types try to talk a lot, and we try to answer their questions, but keep the class moving so we don't get trapped into the long conversations ("I know to do it like this" or "Now, I've heard it should be done like this because of this"- those typers are the worst!). Generally after one class they see what they THINK they know they really don't, and they find out that training is a lot harder than what they have read or watched, and they either never come back, or (hopefully) they become open minded students. Luckily never had a problem with someone like this coming back again and again with the same "ninja" attitude.

OP
B

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think the Ninja in the parants section is the hardest to deal with trying not to embrass the ninja dad when talking to there child! about what Dad was teaching them. All the best in the arts

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
aw geez, I have seen people who stop in and have some belt in some mystical art that even jedi's would be envious of. Neither here nor there, however....the worst is the "Why do you do it this way, the way we did at my last place was like this."

The runner up is the "I am a champion whatever and this isn't the best, I am just here for conditioning." Neither of the above mentioned last long.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A place I used to train at had a "house rules" sign that was visible to the folks in the peanut gallery.

The rules were basically...don't make noise. Don't talk, interrupt, or use a cell phone...and if you have children watching, they must be kept quiet and under control.

It then concluded with the line that said in large type something like "By doing this you help all of our students have a great class. Thanks for your cooperation".

At least for the times when students are on the mat, that is something that really needs to be reinforced...the commitment of giving everyone a great class. :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Too many of them over these years but we still get em from time to time.

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
The runner up is the "I am a champion whatever and this isn't the best, I am just here for conditioning." Neither of the above mentioned last long.
Just people feeling insecure about themselves I guess. Having to make a show of experience even if there isn't any. You're right too...those are the ones that don't make it past the first class as they realize there is actually a LOT of work (read blood, sweat, tears and more sweat) that goes into MA training. I'm not a BB, but I've seen them come and go too. It's a shame...MA is truly one of the only arenas where it's expected and 100% okay to NOT have any training when you walk in the door. That's the beauty of it all...you're accepted from day one. All we ask is an open mind and a true heart.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have never had a "Dojang Ninja". What I do get are "Navy Seals". I kid you not, you would not believe how many come in and tell me all about the experiences as a "NAVY SEAL" and what bad asses they are. Of all of them I have only kept one. Seems we went through a lot of the same training, I was marine recon. So I took into consideration all his previous experience and training and started him out as a white belt. Now don't get me wrong, he is actually one really nasty little (250 lbs) ****ing guy. But, he is now doing Olympic style TKD and that is a whole nother story. He will be competing in his first tournament on 3 March, it will be interesting to see how he handles him self. We have been working on control of temper and killing reflexes a lot. :)

Reaction score
I haven't had any of these types in my school as of yet, but I do run into them on the street.

"Hey, I know you. You're that stickfighting guy! Do you know Master B.S. Fakemann? I train in his garage with him. I'm a private student."

"Nope, never heard of him."

"Well... I guess that's because his Ninja art is so deadly he only trains a few of us. For my black belt test I had to break 17 boards."

"That's amazing! I never had to do anything that hard for my tests!! Next time I'm walking into Home Depot and get attacked by lumber, I'll hope you're there."

That usually leaves them with a confused look on their face. I'm not trying to insult anyone that does breaking in their training. I've done my share in the past and like the skills it cultivates, but I love the look on their face when you deliver that line.

I've have also in the past run into the "JKD Master". You know the guy that watch every Bruce Lee movie and read about JKD, but doesn't understand the concept. He has 2 years of training, but has trained for about a month in every style offered in a 100 mile radius of your school. He knows more than everyone in your school though, just ask him.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Years ago (the 80's, children) we had a guy who was mentally ill (but harmless) who fancied himself a ninja. He took himself & TKD very seriously, yet it was hard to not laugh when this adult in his 30's would come in in full ninja gear (including hood) on any given night. We'd explain that hoods weren't for training & not to be worn in class. He was treated well, & really soaked up everything he was taught.

He eventually left our school & went to another school in town who let him pay for lessons by cleaning the dojang. I'm sure he was in heaven at that prspect. I'm not sure, but he may still be at that school.

calmone

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have had a few over the years and the best way I have found is to get them in class and work them out. After a while they will stop being ninjas or quit.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never had a "Dojang Ninja" attempt to infiltrate the school (shouldn't that be "Sulsado?")

But, thanks to all the good ideas here, I'll know what to do! :)

Miles

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is the main exerp from my favorite story of all time. It is not from me. I got it from another board that I lurk at sometimes:

One night in my studio, as I was closing up for the night, a man in a little blue Chevrolet Vega (yes, a Vega, in 1998) pulled up. From out of the windows of his car I could see various mops, brooms, and squeegees protruding. This man was wearing a hat sort of thing that seemed to be made out of gold colored tin. This hat was about 6 inches tall, cylindrical, wrapped the man’s head, and covered some very long dreadlocks. Tron was his name and he was a window washer and wondered if I would like to hire him to do my windows. He was a rather interesting looking character to say the least, so he got the job.

During his time washing my windows, Tron asked several questions about the art that I practice, my rates, my time in the arts, all the general karate small talk. Seemed like a nice enough guy, and disappointingly, not nearly as odd as I had hoped he would be.

About two weeks later, Tron returned to do the windows again. He did not disappoint me a second time. He began asking questions about the swords that I sell, and could I train him to use them. He needed to buy 3 to complete his arsenal of 4 swords that he needed to carry with him at all times.

You see, Tron is a Warrior of God, and a Demonslayer. Here is his tale.

Although Tron makes his living as a window washer, he is a traveling Rastafarian preacher. He gives sermons in parks or wherever a crowd will gather to listen. He had been growing his dreadlocks for 15 years, which means he had not had a haircut or even shampooed his hair in that period of time. As a reward for his discipline, he had been recently given by God the Fifteen Year Vision. His reward was to be able to recognize the angels and demons that walk among us, and his mission was now to slay the demons.

As a matter of fact, he had just returned from Dallas, where he had killed the demon that had been married to his sister. He had killed him twice.

“Twice?” I asked.

“You know,” he replied, “you have to kill demons physically, mentally, and spiritually.”

“Oh, yeah,” I said. “But you only killed him twice.”

“God told me not to kill his spirit. He wanted the demon to go back to Hell and announce that God had a new, powerful, warrior working for Him, and that he should be feared,” replied Tron.

I asked Tron if all of his in-laws were demons, but he just smiled.

So, back to the original question of the swords. It seems that Tron had used two swords in Dallas, and wanted to buy three more. One sword for each killing and a spare in case you run into another demon before you can replenish and bless your new swords. That way you can physically kill the demon, then come back later with other swords to finish him off for good.

As he left for the evening, this Warrior of God, this Mighty Demonslayer, this traveling Preacher, left notes on several of the cars of my female students saying that he had enjoyed watching “sexy, blonde fighting women” and if they would like to have dinner, to please call him. Next time he came by, I showed him the notes and told him he was no longer welcome at the studio. I guess that was my first exorcism.

I have not seen Tron around town since then, but I do sleep better at night knowing that there is a little man in a gold tin hat keeping the world clean and safe by washing windows and slaying demons.

Here is the link for the full story and LOTS of other bizarre martial arts stories:
http://blackbeltsoffaith.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=59&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

AoG

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
The worst that we have ever had were a large group of early 20's guys who were inspired to come and train by a cartoon. They came and wanted to learn to use swords and "the cool stuff." I don't teach sword, but My Wife teaches Bokken and she did not wnat to take them on as students. The video gamers have struck again. I long for the days of grizzly, slobering neanderthals(sp) beating the crap out of each other and no more video guys.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Searcher, I have a question. Not meaning to be an *** about this but if your wife teaches the bokken why did she not want to take them on as students. Wouldn't this have taught them the error of their ways and maybe lead them down the path of (forgive me for this) righteousness?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because they were not serious about their training. To much goofing on their part.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
How did you deal with these bozo's? You know the type, a know it all.

"Empty your cup!"

"Take what you think you know, and place it in the back of your mind to compare with what I teach you later on when you are an advanced student. Accept me as your teacher, and assume the roll of the student."

"If you don't respect me as the teacher, and the knowledge that I offer, or if you don't want to follow the rules of this Dojang - - then there's the door!" :)

I say it politely, but firmly. If they leave, they were not ready to learn anything. If they join, but continue with the "know-it-all" attitude, they will quickly find out how little they know. :mst:

If a student tries to tell me what they already know, I usually tell them, "I am not interested in what you know. I am interested in what you don't know, so that I know what to teach you. Now, your job as a student is to listen, learn, and perform what I teach you to the best of your ability - - not to tell me what you think you know. If you already know something that I teach you, reinforce it to make it better, then when I feel you are ready, we'll move on to the next lesson."

CM D.J. Eisenhart

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Empty your cup!"

"Take what you think you know, and place it in the back of your mind to compare with what I teach you later on when you are an advanced student. Accept me as your teacher, and assume the roll of the student."

"If you don't respect me as the teacher, and the knowledge that I offer, or if you don't want to follow the rules of this Dojang - - then there's the door!" :)

I say it politely, but firmly. If they leave, they were not ready to learn anything. If they join, but continue with the "know-it-all" attitude, they will quickly find out how little they know. :mst:

If a student tries to tell me what they already know, I usually tell them, "I am not interested in what you know. I am interested in what you don't know, so that I know what to teach you. Now, your job as a student is to listen, learn, and perform what I teach you to the best of your ability - - not to tell me what you think you know. If you already know something that I teach you, reinforce it to make it better, then when I feel you are ready, we'll move on to the next lesson."

CM D.J. Eisenhart

Great advice and a great post. LF comes through again with some things to think about.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great advice and a great post. LF comes through again with some things to think about.

The great thing abot LF, is that he would do it without insulting the person. I'm not sure I could say the same things that he does without making it sound as if I was being demeaning.

He is a class act!

Latest Discussions