Doing forms, and memory

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
We review past material all the time. In fact during tests you have to do three forms that were requirements in the past. Your oppotions (Coung Nhu joke)? Sensei's choice, Sensei's choice, and Sensei's choice. Of course you may have to do more. For brown belt (6th rank, and what I'll be going for next), I'll have to have my self taped doing all my forms. The tape is sent to Grandmaster Quihn (head of style). And he says if you are or are not ready to test. Same with black. So I just do them about three times a week. Every week, of every month, for the last three years.
Hope it helps.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I'll just say a few things happened last year, and caused me to reassess my reasons for continuing in the school. I nearly quit going for reasons, I've changed my mind about quitting- although I have gone to another class, but same associaiton. I' ll just say that I feel beter now.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a general statement of my philosophy. It is not directed at anyone who has posted here:

I think if you REALLY consider yourself a martial artist, you should care enough about your chosen style that you would want to retain (and practice) everything that you are taught along the way. I would be embarrased to be a BB and have a less experienced student ask me a basic question about a low/intermediate level kata or technique, and I had to respond "I don't remember".

I think that generally, if a person only cares about the material necessary for the next test, and doesn't feel an urge to retain and be competent at older material, they are more likely to be in the art "for the belt", than for love of the art. In my experience, these people usually disappear not long after reaching 1st dan, assuming they get that far.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree, Martial Tucker. Our rank as black belt marks us as someone who can carry on the Art. We are the repository for that system's knowledge and need to take it seriously.

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me it wasn't I couldn't remember, just that I was rustier than I'd like. I have the school videos with them on it, as well as written down- which is why I remember them all. Also I think I get a little performance shy- my brain likes to go on a vacation when I get even a little nervous at forms. I think more practice will help me not be so nervous to the point that I "forget". Yeah, that's why as a kid, I never was very good at taking any test. I just have to calm down, and take my time.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
We all certainly have plenty of other demands on our time that can keep us from training consistently. One thing that has worked well for me regarding both kata and self defense techniques is visualization. I can be busy doing other things and often find the time to go thru my forms and/or techniques in my head as if I'm actually doing them (Not recommended for attempting while driving, or doing anything else that needs your undivided attention).

Actually, going thru kata in my head is my equivalent of "counting sheep" when I can't sleep. I just go thru each step/kata mentally in slow motion,
and the same sometimes with self defense techniques. I imagine a particular
attack, and visualize in slow motion how I would defend. Actually, this often turns into something of a meditation.

Having been a competitive athlete from jr high thru college, I can say that visualization has become very "mainstream" in many sports. In general it helps solidify knowledge you already have, and it lessens the anxiety of the sudden demand for performance, be it real on the street, or by request in the dojo/dojang from your teacher.

rziriak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
It's getting close to my brown belt exam, and I was just recently informed that I have to do ALL forms- from white to purple- totalling 10. I don't have to do them all, but we don't know what'll be called out. At the class I left, we were never told such thing (nice, right?), so now I get to cram. Before, we hardly ever went over the previous forms. I did on my own, but not like I should. Anyways, now my little rant is over, I'll get back on track. My original reason for typing this is...

Does anyone else around here have to remember all forms for a test? If so, what do you do to prepare and to jog your memory?

In our school, Jeff Speakman AKKS, we are required to know everything from the beginning to our current level. If a person is a white belt, they need to know everything for their yellow. If a person is going for their black, they need to know everything from white to black and design their own form. There is no way to be an effective teacher without knowing your entire system intimately. A teacher must have the knowledge of their art readily accessable at all times without having to look at their notes. In our school, since I can't speak for other schools, we do not teach future students, we teach future teachers. The only way to know everything is to practice, practice, practice, practice. Train hard and train smart. Incorporate your mind as well as your body. Incorporate your spirit for the enthusiasm for what you are learning.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Latest Discussions