Doing forms, and memory

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's getting close to my brown belt exam, and I was just recently informed that I have to do ALL forms- from white to purple- totalling 10. I don't have to do them all, but we don't know what'll be called out. At the class I left, we were never told such thing (nice, right?), so now I get to cram. Before, we hardly ever went over the previous forms. I did on my own, but not like I should. Anyways, now my little rant is over, I'll get back on track. My original reason for typing this is...

Does anyone else around here have to remember all forms for a test? If so, what do you do to prepare and to jog your memory?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
It's getting close to my brown belt exam, and I was just recently informed that I have to do ALL forms- from white to purple- totalling 10. I don't have to do them all, but we don't know what'll be called out. At the class I left, we were never told such thing (nice, right?), so now I get to cram. Before, we hardly ever went over the previous forms. I did on my own, but not like I should. Anyways, now my little rant is over, I'll get back on track. My original reason for typing this is...

Does anyone else around here have to remember all forms for a test? If so, what do you do to prepare and to jog your memory?

Actually, I don't remember them for a test. Rather, I remember them because I practice them all, on a regular basis. Consistency is the key. If you have to stop and think about a form before you can do it, then you haven't really learned it, or else you have forgotten it. Keep at them, and make this a regular part of your practice. You may have some forms that you like better than others and therefor spend more time practicing them, but definitely practice all of them regularly. There are no short cuts, that I am aware of.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i do!
i dont know how im going to remember them tho
the instructors keep telling us to practice all of them and take notes when we go home
but i dont think looking at the notes in a couple of years will help!

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

All of our tests are comprehensive, so they include all previous forms. To remember them all you have to do is practice, muscle memory will come in time.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:

Ours is the same as Blindside's - comprehensive.

The only thing I can think of to help you is to do all your forms beginning to end. You may be surprised at what you have in muscle memory. Do you have anything written down that can help if you do get stuck at some point?

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
tests should be comprehensive, period. how can you be a good brown belt if you're not even a good yellow, orange, purple, or blue belt...? the orange belt testing for purple belt wouldn't forget the orange belt form; why should you?

practice, practice, practice....everything, all the time. in the end making you a more-skilled, well-rounded martial artist.

good luck with your test.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
For our recommended bb test, we are just required to know (really do well) four forms plus high red which is the last one before black, doing them twice. Then at the 1st dan test, all ten are required. At 2nd dan, we are supposed to know 20, so it gets worse. ;)

Whenever we tested we had to do the previous form plus the new one so that he could see the improvement. Always practice your forms with full out power as that is how you will have to demonstrate them. I see too many practice just for memory and then their power, muscles, balance etc. are not developed and they are awful at testing.

I always made sure every Sunday, to go over all the forms, self defense etc.
that required memory in my living room. Then during the week, I practiced them full out. Plus a book with notes is good too. TW

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe you should reassess your overall approach to training, including WHY you do the things you do, and WHY you do not do the things you do not do. Look at it this way for a moment. Every technique you are taught is a piece of knowledge that is a portion of the system you study. You should not be learning techniques just to fulfull a requirement, but rather because the techniques are useful, and may save your life someday. You need to practice all techniques until you "own" them. You need to know them inside and out, why they work, what their drawbacks are, and you can do them spontaneously and effectively. And you can do them without someone else guiding you.

Forms are collections of techniques. As such, your attitude toward forms should be the same. If you see forms as simply something to memorize as a requirement for rank, then you have completely misunderstood their purpose. If your instructor has not made this clear to you, then perhaps there are problems there, but I won't go into that here. You must "own" them also, just like you own the individual techniques. Every form you learn should be seen as another piece of knowledge that is useful. Keep these pieces and don't lose them. Look at each new form as an opportunity to understand another piece of the system, bringing you closer to the whole. Good luck.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
At my old school, every class with forms, which was a at least every Monday, every student had to do to every from from the first up to their current. If you reach you rank level, you do that form ver and over again until the higher ranks have finally reached there current level. At my present school, everybody does every form of everyone present up to their rank. If there is a yellow belt present, everyone yellow belt and above will do the yellow belt form, if a green belt, everyone green belt and above will *also* do the green belt form.

Both scholols then require those testing to do all forms, all self-defense, all technique, and all verbal/memorization up to the level they are testing for

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personal thought only
If you don't know the forms you dont deserve the rank Knowing the forms is part of what makes up each rank they are not something you learn then forget after you get the next rank. How can you plan on passing on knowledge if you don't have it.
Now haveing said that if yu have learned the forms but just have been working other forms because that is what is being taught I suggest you take time each day or so to review your old forms that way if you are asked to help someone in class learn the form you don't look foolish saying you don't know it.
if you know the forms but are just afraid you will blow them when asked to peform, well I am sure that has happened to more than a few of us in the past. many instructors will give you a 2nd chance during testing others wii just tell you what you did wrong

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
We had to do all color belt long forms back to back (nine forms) in a certain amount of time, like one continuous form. We start that about a third of the way through the color ranks - all long forms back to back. Short forms twice on each side back to back but separately.

Then basic combinations, etc. We have to demonstrate complete memorization for all ranks below the current color rank when testing. So what I would suggest is you practice how you would test. Take time in your training for review.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, If you do one form 10 times a day by the end of the week you would have done it over 100 times. The more you can do the easlier it will be to remember them.

Just practice them everyday....you will need to be serious about your training. The best things in life does not come easy.....Black Belts need to be earn....not giving?...........best of luck......Aloha

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm a forms/technique geek. So yes, I do all my forms from muscle memory because I practice them as a warm-up before every single class (I go 3 to 4 times a week). And as Flying Crane said, I "study" each form as I do them. I do the same at home with one steps, ect. Even basic kicks, punches, ect.

When we test, we don't do every form. BUT we don't know which ones will be called out. So we had better know ALL of them. We also run through the rest of the curriculum in the same fashion, so we HAVE to know ALL of it, eventhough we may not do it all.

My advice would be, get a senior rank to re-learn all your forms to your rank. Once you know them, do them over and over ... Oh, and do them over again ;) Once you know them by heart, "study" them. Ask yourself "why do I do this?" ect, ect.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:

All of the belt tests that I've either took part in or sat on with other instructors, all of the katas up to the current belt level have been a requirement. It would be a good idea to start preparing for the test. In addition, it would also be a good idea to always stay current with all of your material. Just because you may be past a lower rank kata, that is not really an excuse to stop practicing it. Once you become a Black Belt, you may be required to teach that kata to someone.

Good luck on the upcoming test!

Mike

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:

TKDgirl if you practice your forms on a weekly basis it will help develope your mind to remember every single movement of each form. FOr my Bb exam I had to do all my forms from basic to BB level and today when I test we are required tp do every form not just some of them. Yopur training is consist and your form should be as well. To keep your kick sharp you practice on a daily basis, so why not forms.
Terry

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our belt tests are always comprehensive. For black belt we would need 10 open-hand katas and 2 weapons katas.

It's okay though. When I was training more often (that is, in college and before wife, job, and kids) I knew 21 open-hand katas and 3 weapons katas.

I found that the moves came back to me quickly even after a long period without practicing them. I'm sure you'll do great if you take just a bit and work on them.

Good luck on your test!

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know how you feel TKD girl :c) I would just really start praticing them like everyday and just pick different ones each day. that what I am planing to do

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
For my black belt test, I had to do 10 forms in order from white to black belt. It was hard and once during my test my brain froze so I threw in a couple extra kicks, because if you just stop, you fail. Ofc, the judges noticed, but said they were glad I did that rather than stopped. Eventually, in the middle of my extra kicks, I remembered were I was in the form, and just picked it up after 3 extra kicks. LOL All I can say is practice and drill it into your head. I did all 10 forms for a year every day between my red belt black stripe and my black belt. That worked fairly well except for my brain freeze, which I'm sure was more due to nervousness. Good luck with your brown belt test!

Becky

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:

My test for brown belt included five katas. One was a staff set. Four of them were "colored sets" that included all techniques learned up to green belt. The last one, Kata 12 was kata 1-6 right and left side.

A lot of systems consider a brown belt to be an expert in their system. BB is equal to a professional or a Master's in that subject. Before they let you represent the school at that rank, they want to make sure you meet those standards. I think it's great that your school holds to those standards.

As for working on them, I've got an instructor and fellow students to jog my memory. I've also got all katas and techniques written down. I use katas as a warmup for a workout. It's a good way to keep them in your head, as well as getting a sweat going. I also use part of every workout to detail katas and try and perfect them. Even 20 minutes can make a big difference.

Good luck!

Latest Discussions