Oh boy...

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm about to test for my brown belt this Thursday, and I have to know all my forms from white through purple- a total of 10 forms. I don't have to do every single one of them for the test, but he'll holler them out no particular order, and it's whatever he wants to see. What's nerve racking is my nerves- if I get too nervous, I'll get confused and start doing it wrong. It's the same problem I have with public speaking. I feel ready, but I'm just nervous. I've been practicing like a mad woman the past month. What is the best way for you to get rid of those last minute nerves?

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
try meditation
close your eyes and run through all of your forms in no order
do not stop or pause. keep flowing

then go over the forms again, also in no particular order, just randomly.
when you do the forms do not think about anything else except that flow you are already used to when you meditated.

when the test comes just go over the forms, think ONLY about the flow and nothing else. just concentrate in what you are doing and forget the entire world. it should look as if you're going through your forms while you were meditating, except your eyes will be open this time.

good luck

Davejlaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My advice is to just relax and have fun in the test. Your teacher would not have you test in the first place unless he/she felt you were ready for the next belt. That thought alone should give you a big confidence boost.

JitsuAddict

White Belt
Reaction score
i find that for keeping my nerves down, all i need to do is know what i'm doing. really focus on memorizing your forms, the more confident you are in your knowlege of the forms, the less nervous you will feel. good luck!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most definately, you need to relax. We do the same thing and my partner and I practice by calling out random forms. The more you try to get it right, the better chance you have of blowing it. Relax. If you do make a mistake, don't stop. Keep going and pick it back up. It's better to combine 2 forms well, than to stop and hesitate. It happens. The world won't end, I promise. :)

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
"Running water never grows stale, so just keep on flowing."

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just do what you do. Plain and simple. It's gotten you this far, and I see no reason why it wouldn't get you any further.

After this exam, you may want to review your forms to the point where you can perform them on a more unconscious level (where you don't have to think about them). If you can do this (can be done with good repetition), then your chances of making a mistake are much slimmer than someone who has to think about the form during performance. Also, you'll be more relaxed during such a performance.

Good luck with the testing. We're pulling for you.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I get the same way before tests, so much so that as I am standing in June-bi, my fists are visably shaking! So how do I deal? As my name is called for a technique I answer with a resounding Yes Ma'am. For some reason being loud releases a lot of stress and anxiety. Plus it conveys confidence to your instructors. then just try to clear your mind. I would always panic in the middle of a pattern and think 'what's the next move?' instead of just letting my body perform the pattern it has done so so so so many times. If I just clear my mind and try not to think, I almost always nail it. So my advice is don't overthink it. You obviously know the material, just let your body go! Good luck and keep us informed!!

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good luck and with everyone else just relax. Mentally go thru each one in your mind.
Let us know how it goes!!

*wipes forhead....."thank god I didnt have remember them....what does white belt form look like again?"*

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Testing i a pain at times but we have all done it. You have done it bor and know what thexpect so relax. Youwould not be testing i you whe not ready. You know you know the material and have done it time and time again, so just mak belive it is a normal class and do what you do the best you can
I'm sure you'll get through the test with flying colors

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies, everyone! I'm starting to relax some already, and I'll let you all know how it ends either tomorrow night, or Friday!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're supposed to be nervous - generally, it's the people who know, absolutely, that they are ready who fail something.

I still get nervous before testing - I was a wreck just before my IV dan test last year.

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had a pre- test tonight, and I did pretty good- had power, etc. The problem was I got 2 forms mixed up, which is typical of me for those 2 particular forms. I don't know why, because they don't start or even sound the same! Like everyone said- I NEED TO RELAX and not concentrate too hard on things. I'm basically going to do what I did for my ACT test I took in high school- plenty of rest, good nutritious food, and meditate.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
I had a pre- test tonight, and I did pretty good- had power, etc. The problem was I got 2 forms mixed up, which is typical of me for those 2 particular forms. I don't know why, because they don't start or even sound the same! Like everyone said- I NEED TO RELAX and not concentrate too hard on things. I'm basically going to do what I did for my ACT test I took in high school- plenty of rest, good nutritious food, and meditate.
good
sounds like you're set
just go over those again
im sure you will do good, you sound like you know your stuff
g'luck

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:

See no worries so stop abd relaxe.
Great job tonight.
Terry

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only repeat what everyone has already said about relaxing. Before you begin the form, take a second to mentally prep yourself.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll do fine!

Mike

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't worry about it, just do the best you can and i'm sure you will be ok! I am also being graded this saturday for my black sash and luckily this time its not so dependant on forms. Just work on the patterns you dislike most and then do the rest.

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
i know the feeling :wink1: I d just relax take a couple deep breaths and do your best. the worst that can happen is you do the form over agin remember you already passed the test this is a celebration.