Dog saves another dog.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was wonderful to see indeed. As to the innate drive to altruism that is exhibited by most humans (it then being muddled by other concepts later in development) it does not surprise me that dogs exhibit it too for I have seen it myself, at least amongst dogs who know each other.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Using it's paws to drag the dog instead of using it's teeth around the collar/neck? Almost like it knew the injuries and didn't want to aggravate them. Moving vid, shared on FB.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can't comment on the aspect of altruism, I'm one of those old fools who likes dogs as much as he likes people. Always have, always will. I'm just going to marvel and enjoy this for a while. Love this vid. Thanks, Josh.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course he may have just been dragging him off to eat it. One should always be aware of attributing human emotions and actions on to animals.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps not the norm, I do think with animals as well as humans, that this sense of altruism can be demonstrated at the most unique times and circumstances..

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can tie yourself in knots trying to decode animal behaviours beyond the most basic but with dogs I think it is a little easier because they have hitched their wagon to ours for so many tens of millennia.

I saw an example just last night, that was all too tempting to describe in human terms, when we went to my middle sisters house to celebrate my parents 50th wedding anniversary.

For background, they have a mongrel dog who has the dubious distinction of being only the second dog I've ever met not to like me (the other was one of those lunatic mobile-hearthrug types so that hardly counted as a dog :D). I think I accidentally frightened him the first time we met or I look similar to someone who has mistreated him (he's a 'rescue'). He's even tried to bite me once, which was a big surprise (thank you martial arts reflexes :)). Since that meeting, they've had a couple of other dogs, a Jack Russell cross (with the ace name of "Storm") and a Boxer ***** (as in 'lady' dog :)) called Ella.

Sure enough, as soon as we entered my sisters house, Barney started acting up growling and barking at me and the Jack Russell joined in {not a surprise as they will bark at moving grass :lol:} tho' even he was looking between Barney and me as if to say "What are we barking for?!". My sister had already warned me that Ella does not much care for men, so I was possessed of a sinking feeling that the night was not going to be as pleasant as I had hoped. I put down the flowers and gifts I had brought my folks and stood still whilst the situation sorted itself out.

With my sister and her fellow busy telling the dogs off and holding Barney where he was, Ella trotted forward to me and gave me a sniff. She looked up at me so I slowly took my hand out of my pocket and held it out to her (fingers curled in of course, as I am not daft ... :glares at the readers: :D). She gave my hand a lick, wagged her tail, turned around and walked up to snarling Barney ... and bumped his nose with hers as if to say, plain as day, "Don't be so silly, he's nice!". Barney stopped his acting out and let my sister cart him off into another room whilst we got settled. He was fine all night from then on, I just ignored him and he ignored me {other than some dirty looks now and again :lol:}. Storm made friends during the night so I reckon we're okay on the canine non-aggression pact, tho' I still wouldn't like to be stuck in a room on my own with Barney, just to be on the safe side.

Anyhow, the point of all that rambling tale is that I do think it is quite possible to interpret dog behaviour in human terms, with certain canine provisos, as they are one of the species that has elected to live life 'our' way.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We however don't repay their loyalty or even respect them that much. They are made to 'marry' each other, they're dressed up, treated as children, over fed or they are neglected, people whinge when their dogs chew things threw being left in the house alone all day. We over and inbreed them so they can't breath properly or give birth properly, we cut their tails and ears off, they get carried around in handbags. They are made to fight badgers and each other. Dogs are animals and should be treated as such, then they will have their dignity and we'd have far less neurotic and 'killer' dogs. As pack animals they have quite a sophisicated social structure and we know they are intelligent so it's not surprising much of their behaviour seems 'human' to us,now, if only we appreciated them properly!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We however don't repay their loyalty or even respect them that much. They are made to 'marry' each other, they're dressed up, treated as children, over fed or they are neglected, people whinge when their dogs chew things threw being left in the house alone all day. We over and inbreed them so they can't breath properly or give birth properly, we cut their tails and ears off, they get carried around in handbags. They are made to fight badgers and each other. Dogs are animals and should be treated as such, then they will have their dignity and we'd have far less neurotic and 'killer' dogs. As pack animals they have quite a sophisticated social structure and we know they are intelligent so it's not surprising much of their behavior seems 'human' to us,now, if only we appreciated them properly!

I long ago made up my mind to not ever get attached to a dog again... not emotionally anyway. Lost far too many pets and had them replaced and the cycle starts all over again. Nah, I am a dog person and do "love dogs" for what they can provide. Companionship, friendship, working partner, guard, playmate and so on. I won't dress it up, marry it off to another dog and all that other stuff Tez just listed that (I happen to agree) is just plain daft. They're dogs... same with cats... an animal companion, nothing more. Some will attribute family member tags on the animals but unless they participate (actively not just sit there and pant) in family planning discussions and contribute to meaningful discussions... it's just a dog/cat.

Yet as Suke pointed out they are inexplicably tied and woven into the human fabric of existence. They've repeatedly shown their worth (and worthlessness-- like certain humans that we all individually know/loathe) and thus will be part of us in the long run. The extremes that they go through (inbreeding, clothing, inheritors of estates and so on) are human frailties and insecurities. Still they manage to teach us (probably without intention) something about ourselves. We just need to learn how to SEE.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Had dogs for thirty odd years now. Had one I dressed up a couple times. He was a big old pit bull, sweet as apple pie, gentle as the day is long. Put him in a white gi top with a belt and boxing head gear, he was hanging around the dojo at the time, he didn't seem to mind, and the boys got a kick out of it. Another time put him in Hawaiian shirt, sun glasses, camera hanging around his neck, and a cap that said Maui on it. He kind of showed off for a while, then took a nap. He was a damn good dog, lived to 15.

These are my favorite quotes about dogs -

I bought my grandmother, who is blind, a seeing eye dog. But he was kind of a wise guy. He kept doing impressions of cars screeching to a halt.
Anonymous

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself. - Josh Billings

Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love, faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made. - Roger Caras

Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life
. - Annie Oakley

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. That is the principle difference between a dog and a man. - Mark Twain

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Latest Discussions