Does your school train against attacks outside of those found within their art?

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
its good to go up against the same style it might be a little more predictable, but its good to go up against different styles because theres some styles that are mainly about kicks, and if yours was mainly punches it would be hard to go up against someone who could go from a high kick to a sweep kick then back in the air with another high kick and vise versa.

-something cool about training with different styles it can help you in sparring throw different combinations, like a tournament-

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes we do train against attacks from other styles and street types.

Nighthawk

White Belt
Reaction score
I train in a school that started as a traditional Shotokan karate school. Justin Sense, about 5 years ago, realized that pure Shotokan, in his opinion, wasn't up to defending against the attacks of other arts, and didn't address some of the concerns he had about being jumped by some punk on the street, so also being an instructor of hakkoryu jujitsu, he came to the conclusion that the two styles were made for each other. We have modified several of the Shotokan kata (one of the best examples being tekki shodan) to reflect the jujitsu integration, to the point where, at the ISKA Sierra Camp (weekend one of this year's cluster-screw) my performance of tekki shodan was in some ways unrecognized by the pure shotokan stylists in attendance. And then we explained the changes... They all saw the merit in what we were doing, and at points throughout the day, I was approached by several of the higher-dan students who were there. They all said things along the lines of "You're one of Justin's students, right? Can you show me how this would be a grapple?" or "Can you show me what this technique would be in your way of doing things?" So yeah- at our school, we train to fight against other styles, and we train to fight against untrained attackers. We call it unmitigated violence. We teach girls how to train against rapists as much as possible, as well.