Documentary: Empty Hand - The Real Karate Kids

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
I actually talked to the director and producer of this film a little over a year ago, as well as one of the competitors (Ashley King).

I still haven't actually seen it though, as it's only recently begun making its rounds on the festival circuit and has not yet been released on home video, but I'm excited to see it.

Thoughts on the trailer?

Last edited by a moderator:

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been wanting to watch the documentary since I've first became aware of it. There's one or two threads on here in the past about it. They need to get it onto Netflix streaming.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it will still be a little while before it's released on home video, but it's in the works. I work part-time as a freelance writer and did an interview with the director for Black Belt magazine a while back. At the time I was told that it was going to be released in October of last year. Well, that deadline has long since past and it's only now starting to be shown, albeit only on the festival circuit.

In any case I think it should be good. I have high hopes and the experience of becoming aware of the project and working with those guys certainly helped to re-inspire my interest in karate.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm ready to make popcorn That looks really well done.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks very good but I couldn't hear what was being said because of the music, hopefully that's just the trailer and the film itself will be fine.

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I absolutely love this video,I'm in full support of these remarkable beautiful warrior princesses,and I would check their movie out.No doubt.Props to their coach and sensei too! And I liked the music too.I had no problems hearing what was being said at all...they need to get this product out there asap so I can buy it and show it to the girls in my class.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Glad to see some positive responses.

For those who are interested, the website for the film is emptyhandthemovie.com. There's a lot of good info on there.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Empty Hand: Behind the Movie - Featurette

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you go to the website and click on Project Status then it gives a list of 38 steps that need to be completed in all, and tells you what all has been done and what is left to be done.

Currently, they're on step 37:

37) Screenings at festivals worldwide
38) Sell film internationally
38) Sell film domestically (DVD, Cable, Online) or to one distributor

I think I'm actually going to e-mail those guys and see what's up.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Saw some the kids fight at nationals. We really enjoy NKF Karate looking forward to the US open in April and Florida in the summer. Going to go right form AAU Tkd Nationals to the NKF Karate Nationals. Going to be busy.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well it's official. . . I've seen it.

Empty Hand is now up for streaming on Vimeo:

http://vimeo.com/ondemand/karatekid

It's $5. A small price to pay, I think.

Overall I definitely enjoyed it. The vast majority of the film is competition footage from the AAU nationals, with the first third or so setting the stage and introducing the competitors.

The competitors are likable, the editing is coherent and it's well shot. And for someone like myself . . . someone who has been around martial arts for years but doesn't have much experience with the tournament side of things . . . it's a very interesting glimpse into the world of competitive karate.

If I had a criticism, maybe more footage outside of the tournament focusing on who these kids are and what they're all in about in life and why they're into martial arts would be nice. But all in all, I definitely enjoyed it.

C'mon, it's only $5 to stream. Do it tonight and come back and give us a review.

rframe

Green Belt
Reaction score
Our family watched it last night on Vimeo for $5.

I was hoping to see a bit more about their daily efforts and struggles with preparation. It was a pretty quick survey of their backgrounds and the a lot of quick clips from their tournaments. I think the story line could've been more personal, but overall pretty good. It does focus nicely n the building of character. Also shows some of the frustration of tournaments where you dont get points for good hits and/or judging often seems subjective. For anyone who's competed, some of those frustrations are familiar.

My kids were impressed seeing it and gave them some extra motivation in their own training.

Will watch it again.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was hoping to see a bit more about their daily efforts and struggles with preparation. It was a pretty quick survey of their backgrounds and the a lot of quick clips from their tournaments. I think the story line could've been more personal, but overall pretty good.

Yeah, I agree. I'd have liked to have seen more background footage that tells us more about who everyone is, what their motivation is, what their training is like, etc. My guess is that the director wanted to make sure to give complete coverage to their tournament achievements (and sometimes lack thereof) and therefore had to a) sacrifice some extraneous footage and b) rush through a lot of the tournament footage in order bring the film in at an acceptable length. I wouldn't mind seeing a 3 hour director's cut.

Also shows some of the frustration of tournaments where you dont get points for good hits and/or judging often seems subjective. For anyone who's competed, some of those frustrations are familiar.

I am probably going to compete in a tourney for the first time later this year and that's the kind of thing that really frustrates me. It's kind of too bad that there's no non-points way to win, like by KO, that takes it out of hands of the judges.

Latest Discussions