Do you use technology to improve your Martial Art's skills?`

MyFitteLife Ninja

White Belt
Reaction score
As a long time martial artist, I was always skeptical of many of the claims that were made about power and techniques. Does anyone use technology to validate his or her training? Would anyone buy a device to attach to a bag that measures impacts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sports science has revolutionised athletics, gymnastics etc so why can’t new methods be implemented to improve martial arts performance? There may be a reluctance from ‘traditionalists‘ but surely sand-filled earthenware jars to strengthen ones grip can coexist alongside, quantum laser particle accelerator forearm stimulators?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hell, I even bought one primitive one to measure punching and kicking. It's not that good. I would love to buy one if it is reasonable priced.

Problem does it really reflect the real stopping power?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As a long time martial artist, I was always skeptical of many of the claims that were made about power and techniques. Does anyone use technology to validate his or her training? Would anyone buy a device to attach to a bag that measures impacts?
I believe such a device exists. Are you inventing one? If so, what makes it different from what is already available?

I personally am having a difficult time thinking of anything that would entice me to buy such a device. I might be curious to hit one a time to two just to see the numbers, but it is not something I would ever use consistently or systematically. That kind of technology simply has no appeal to me. I train because I enjoy it. I push myself pretty hard and I feel it when I am done. But constantly pushing my limits and tracking the numbers is a meaningless exercise for me. I don’t use a Fitbit either, nor any other of the performance tracking devices that are commercially available. When I go out on a run, I don’t even track my distance, nor time my runs. I simply run until I feel like I’ve pushed myself as much as I feel like doing on that day.

I suppose there is a market for these devices, but those likely to get the most benefit from them are those who are trying to be an elite competitor, or something like that. Most people who buy them, I suspect are simply infatuated with the idea of the technology, and don’t actually train in a way that these devices justify their existence. Exercise and martial training simply does not need to be high-tech, and I suspect it does a disservice to a lot of people interested in getting started, when they get the message that they need to buy a bunch of expensive technology or their training somehow isn’t good enough. That kind of message can be a real turn-off to people who might already be somewhat intimidated by the idea of the training, to be told they need all this technology as well. So for the most part, I reject it because I see it all as unnecessary, even if it would be useful for a limited subset of the population.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm of the same mind as Flying Crane, above, on this. The only technology I see as very useful is video to provide feedback for forms or sparring. Seeing yourself in motion is often an eye-opener and can expose many subtle flaws you're not aware as you do them in real time. High tech metrics seem overkill. I don't need to look at a thermometer that says 104 degrees F to tell me it's hot.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm of the same mind as Flying Crane, above, on this. The only technology I see as very useful is video to provide feedback for forms or sparring. Seeing yourself in motion is often an eye-opener and can expose many subtle flaws you're not aware as you do them in real time. High tech metrics seem overkill. I don't need to look at a thermometer that says 104 degrees F to tell me it's hot.
Ha ha, no kidding. When I was doing the punching and kicking, I felt good, I thought I did things right........THEN.......I recorded it, what a surprise!!! I don't look as I thought, looked lazy............

I have been practicing stick fight, the last video I made I posted here, that was 7 months ago. I feel I improve a lot since, but I never have the courage to record it because it can be very discouraging.

People always criticizing others, that this is not good enough, that is not good enough. I wonder they ever record themselves. They might be a lot more quieter if they do that!!!

Last edited:

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do use ‘Hudl’ a movement analysis application, to check angles, posture and to scroll through movements frame-by-frame to look for areas to improve. It’s very useful but only slightly more than plane old video!

I think some are attracted to technology in the hope it’ll give them an edge, increase the rate of acquisition/refining of skills and sometimes because they won’t to spend their money on something! 🤓

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m disappointed that nobody has expressed an interest in my quantum laser particle accelerator forearm stimulator. 😑

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what is it?
It’s too late now to feign interest in my device that’s guaranteed to make us a top martial artist, smooth your skin and plump your muscles and make you more attractive to women…all for three monthly instalments of $10.99 - that’s right , just $10.99

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It’s too late now to feign interest in my device that’s guaranteed to make us a top martial artist, smooth your skin and plump your muscles and make you more attractive to women…all for three monthly instalments of $10.99 - that’s right , just $10.99
Forget women, too old for that. What it is? A device or something one takes?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a device but it does require…🤔…’inserting‘. It’s only at the ‘back-of-an-envelope‘ stage as yet but once I obtain a large grant for it’s development and manufacture, I’ll let you know when it’s available on my ‘Crystals for Martial Artists’ online shop. It will be come in ‘Titanium’, ‘Gold’ and ‘Rose Gold’ finishes. Application lube is available elsewhere on the site (I’ve now removed the ‘energising ground crystals‘ from the lube after negative customer feedback and FDA intervention).

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I suppose there is a market for these devices, but those likely to get the most benefit from them are those who are trying to be an elite competitor, or something like that. Most people who buy them, I suspect are simply infatuated with the idea of the technology, and don’t actually train in a way that these devices justify their existence.
Sounds like there would be a strong market for them indeed.

Honestly, I do not think there is much use in general training for technological gadgets. I'm sure you could come up with a few useful ones, but the problem is that Martial Arts, like many things, just as much art as science. Many of the truly important things can't be measured or quantified with accuracy, and so people who take an overly data driven approach simply grossly over weigh those attributes which can be easily measured.

Taking too narrow a view is always the danger when trying to apply hard science to a very subjective / organic problem.

That said, I'm sure some devices could be extremely useful in limited contexts, as long as you keep in mind the full context of what you're training and trying to accomplish with a piece of equipment, and what you aren't.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a ‘focus group’ of martial artists could be useful in discovering what we might actually find useful as a training aid. Stretching aids that provides assisted dynamic stretching. A device that resists your punching/pulling arm and provides variable resistance for progressive training. A training aid that when you kick perturbs your balance so you have to regain your equilibrium. A suburi device that provides resistance to your sword for your cutting practise. Provide a list of wants and see what the egg-heads can come up with!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes I watch Youtube videos to see how various qualified instructors in my style perform certain techniques.

I use Google Advanced Book search to find references to older stories, news reports, studies, and other printed resources about martial arts prior to the 20th century.

I also like to watch One Punch Man videos.

I don't think I would buy anything that measured my punch. I have one. It's an uke and it goes ow.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sometimes I watch Youtube videos to see how various qualified instructors in my style perform certain techniques.

I use Google Advanced Book search to find references to older stories, news reports, studies, and other printed resources about martial arts prior to the 20th century.

I also like to watch One Punch Man videos.

I don't think I would buy anything that measured my punch. I have one. It's an uke and it goes ow.
Solid gold.

TularosaKungFu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'd love to have force measurement

We do some things with the head and you can measure differences? But until we have a chance to study it in regular martial artists, it would be hard to say it did much?

Latest Discussions