Do you like traditional Kata?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The closest to that that I have done was in tae kwon do. Yes, I did like it, although I'm not convinced being good at kata has anything at all to do with how well you would do in a serious self defense situation on the streets.
In and of itself it really does not. All Taekwondo kata that I am familiar with (though they call them poomsae or hyung) are very similar to Shotokan kata. They are all done solo. Typically, TKD kata have kicks sooner and do not emphasize low stances to the same degree.

About the only correlation between performing a solo kata and practical use is whether or not you are performing the techniques well. Otherwise, how you handle yourself against an opponent is not really a function of kata. That is handled in kumite, or in the case of taekwondo, kyorugi.

Daniel

Cayuga Karate

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Daniel Sullivan wrote:

About the only correlation between performing a solo kata and practical use is whether or not you are performing the techniques well.

I have a bit of a different perspective. I believe for many kata sequences, that the actual repetition of techniques, solo, can help in self defense, but not if they are practiced only as they are in kata.

Many karate systems have punctuated sequences of movements with numerous pauses. While the practice of these pauses may have utility in learning the correct movements, successful use of movements in fighting generally requires them to be practiced fast, with no pauses.

In the Shito Ryu version of Kusanku Dai (Kanku Dai), this serious student shows numerous slow movements and pauses, followed by some sequences done at blistering speeds. I would argue that to make a sequence useful, that it needs to be practiced solo, at high speeds.

Partner work is also essential, but in my view, the timing of many kata movements is an inhibitor to using them successfully.

I am not advocating changing the kata. If a system's kata has pauses and slow movements, they should be practiced that way. However this practice should be supplemented with solo practice of fast, powerful movements, if one wants to be ableto utilize them effectively in self-defense.

-Mike Eschenbrenner

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Shito Ryu version of Kusanku Dai (Kanku Dai), this serious student shows numerous slow movements and pauses, followed by some sequences done at blistering speeds. I would argue that to make a sequence useful, that it needs to be practiced solo, at high speeds.

Thanks for the vid. That's quite a good performance of Kosokun Dai. She does, indeed, sharply contrast the fast and slow. To me, the clean deliverance of the slower techniques make her fast techniques look even faster.

What especially helps, though, is that she seems to have excellent body positioning, and that it looks like she could get excellent leverage when performing the techniques, even if they were slowly delivered.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The closest to that that I have done was in tae kwon do. Yes, I did like it, although I'm not convinced being good at kata has anything at all to do with how well you would do in a serious self defense situation on the streets. But I did like it, I still practice some of it because I enjoy it.

You should have a good look at Iain Abernethy's work with kata, I've been on his seminars and the techniques from kata used for SD work very painfully and well!
http://www.iainabernethy.com/

Look at the newsletters and podcasts as well, very informative and useful.

Latest Discussions