Distance Training?

H

Humble Student

I live in Chubbuck/Pocatello Idaho. I can not find an instructor as I have a bad right leg and birth defect of right arm. I am 33 and seriously want to become an instructor for other disabled people even if I just teach as a volunteer. I love martial arts!!! I have studied Jukido Jujitsu, and an Eclectic style called combo i ave probably intermediet skills half way between white and beginner black. I have studied a little Judo and Kungfu and have read every Bruce Tegner book I could find and many other self instruction books. I found Dragon Kenpo, but it doesn't look good. Any ideas would be appreciated. I do practice techniques from cane masters and some other Hapkid o tapes a fried of mine gave me. I also tech my childer two boys and a girl basic safety and self defense.

Humbly
John Runer

I keep hearing about Jujitsu Kenpo connection and would like to learn an art were kicking and joint/jujitsu techniques are truly effective for self defense.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Humble Student said:
I live in Chubbuck/Pocatello Idaho. I can not find an instructor as I have a bad right leg and birth defect of right arm. I am 33 and seriously want to become an instructor for other disabled people even if I just teach as a volunteer. I love martial arts!!! I have studied Jukido Jujitsu, and an Eclectic style called combo i ave probably intermediet skills half way between white and beginner black. I have studied a little Judo and Kungfu and have read every Bruce Tegner book I could find and many other self instruction books. I found Dragon Kenpo, but it doesn't look good. Any ideas would be appreciated. I do practice techniques from cane masters and some other Hapkid o tapes a fried of mine gave me. I also tech my childer two boys and a girl basic safety and self defense.

Humbly
John Runer

I keep hearing about Jujitsu Kenpo connection and would like to learn an art were kicking and joint/jujitsu techniques are truly effective for self defense.

Welcome to Martial Talk! :ultracool

As for your question: What schools are in your general area? If there are any around that teach one of the arts that you're familiar with, such as Judo, that is a possibility. Of course, you could also try something new. If you're looking along the lines of joint locks, you could try Arnis/Kali, Hapkido, or Smal Circle JJ (Wally Jay)

Good luck in your search!

Mike

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain there is at least one kenpo school in the area. A quick Google search turns up a yellow page ad for a place called "The School of American Kenpo Karate." Also the KenpoNet lists a school called "Southeast Idaho Kenpo Karate" as an affiliate of the AKKI. Sometimes those kenponet listings are out of date though.

When you say you cannot find an instructor because of a bad leg and birth defect, do you mean that instructors will not take you? If so, well, they aren't instructors I would be studying from, especially if they were kenpo instructors.

Good luck,

Lamont

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Blindside said:
When you say you cannot find an instructor because of a bad leg and birth defect, do you mean that instructors will not take you? If so, well, they aren't instructors I would be studying from, especially if they were kenpo instructors.

Good luck,

Lamont

I agree! The instructor should be able to work with the student, and make the techs. adapt to the student, not the student to the techs. If the inst. is not willing to do this, I'd walk out faster than I walked in.

Mike

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It seems I always run into people like you that want to train but no one will teach because of their disability and I agree with MJS and Blindside - I'd walk out faster than I walked in as well.

I would try A.B.L.E. at a college campus near you.

You could also look for teachers who don't have dojos or dojangs and teach privately (harder to find, so you might put up a Wanted ad in your local supermarket or YMCA.

Call your local city resource center (community center) and see if they have a martial arts instructor who contracts through them and talk to him/her.

Go to tournaments and look for others like you who are competing and see if you can locate their instructor.

Call the local committee for the Paralympics and see if they have a resource listing or can refer you.

OP
H

Humble Student

Thank you!!! Everyoneone for the nice response. Other forums are not so supportive!!! I will try placing an ad locally I have no willing instructors and I can not travel my car is old!! and I am on social security disability. I no of something in Idaho Falls sixty miles away locally nothing that I can find including phone book listed school.

John Runer

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Good luck and please keep us posted. I hope you find an excellent instructor.

Latest Discussions