Discussions on Christianity and the Ten Commandments

J

Josh

Are ya'll Offended?

Don't you realize what ya'll are doing is EXACTLY what i said about in my earlier post?

Ya'll think the Idea that there is a God is a bad thing. The Bible says we Everyone already has a knowledge of God but choose to do evil anyway.

Everything Jesus said is coming true, if you wanna know what i'm talking about, PM me.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sil Lum TigerLady said:
Ok, I haven't read this thread from the beginning but here is my .02 on posting the 10 Commandments...aside from the religious basis, what is offensive about stating that it's wrong to kill, steal, lie, etc. ? The crime rate and offenses against our fellow man are rampant. Should it be a big deal to post that these things are wrong and against the law in a building which upholds the law?

My question(s) for you would be this;

What is the First of the 10 Commandments in your faith?

Are you aware that different faiths view the Commandments differently?
Are you aware that the Jewish traditions of the Decalog allow for penalties for sins to be applied to the offspring of the offender; the Sins of the Father are punished on his Children?

OP
J

Josh

Rich Parsons said:
You have mentioned a few times "What Jesus Said" or "What is in the Bible". Can you quote books and passages please. I would like to refresh myself on these words.

Here's Jesus telling His discples about the end of the world

Matthew 24:4-15

4Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you. 5For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Christ,[a]' and will deceive many. 6You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8All these are the beginning of birth pains.
9"Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. 10At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come. 15"So when you see standing in the holy place 'the abomination that causes desolation,'[b] spoken of through the prophet Daniel—let the reader understand— 16then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains.

People have claimed to be christ in the past just as He said they would and many have followed them only to be deceived. Look at all the wars that have been going on and the fact that we can hear of anything big so easily with the news and all the Bad weather, the huriccanes, tsunamis, etc... and all the Disease like SARS and the Bird Flu, and that's just those two examples. That's evidence enough for me.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
My question(s) for you would be this;

What is the First of the 10 Commandments in your faith?

Are you aware that different faiths view the Commandments differently?
Are you aware that the Jewish traditions of the Decalog allow for penalties for sins to be applied to the offspring of the offender; the Sins of the Father are punished on his Children?

michaeledwald may I ask are you Jewish, because I'am and I find your statement to be offensive to me, we are talking about the 10 conmandments right, so why make a Jewish remark. If you are ot trying to be offensive I apologies to you please explain your comment and the need of it.
Thanks
terry

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
michaeledwald may I ask are you Jewish, because I'am and I find your statement to be offensive to me, we are talking about the 10 conmandments right, so why make a Jewish remark. If you are ot trying to be offensive I apologies to you please explain your comment and the need of it.
Thanks
terry

I am not Jewish.

I am afraid I don't understand what needs to be explained. Which statement is unclear to you. I will do my best to clarify.

* * * Edit ...

Sorry, you quoted an earlier post, and I did not see it and understand the reference til after I had hit the submit button.

If you are referencing the thought that the penalties of the father may be served upon the children, I reference that from a recent interview from Marc Zvi Brettler; chair of the Department of Near Eastern and Judaic Studies at Brandias University. He recently had his book 'How to Read the Bible' published.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...f=pd_bbs_1/102-9984309-0420941?_encoding=UTF8

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5174963

OP
J

Josh

I'm Talking about Smallpox, the Black Plague, Revolutionary Wary, Civil War, World Wars, you name it and everything that's gone on the past thousands of years.

Ever since Jesus said what He did about it, the world has been coming to its end like He said it would.

from Mark chapter 13:1-23
1And as he went out of the temple, one of his disciples saith unto him, Master, see what manner of stones and what buildings are here!

2And Jesus answering said unto him, Seest thou these great buildings? there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

3And as he sat upon the mount of Olives over against the temple, Peter and James and John and Andrew asked him privately,

4Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign when all these things shall be fulfilled?

5And Jesus answering them began to say, Take heed lest any man deceive you:

6For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

7And when ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars, be ye not troubled: for such things must needs be; but the end shall not be yet.

8For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be earthquakes in divers places, and there shall be famines and troubles: these are the beginnings of sorrows.

9But take heed to yourselves: for they shall deliver you up to councils; and in the synagogues ye shall be beaten: and ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them.

10And the gospel must first be published among all nations.

11But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost.

12Now the brother shall betray the brother to death, and the father the son; and children shall rise up against their parents, and shall cause them to be put to death.

13And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

14But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:

15And let him that is on the housetop not go down into the house, neither enter therein, to take any thing out of his house:

16And let him that is in the field not turn back again for to take up his garment.

17But woe to them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!

18And pray ye that your flight be not in the winter.

19For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be.

20And except that the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh should be saved: but for the elect's sake, whom he hath chosen, he hath shortened the days.

21And then if any man shall say to you, Lo, here is Christ; or, lo, he is there; believe him not:

22For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.

23But take ye heed: behold, I have foretold you all things.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Josh said:
I'm Talking about Smallpox, the Black Plague, Revolutionary Wary, Civil War, World Wars, you name it and everything that's gone on the past thousands of years.
Ever since Jesus ascended into Heaven, the world has been coming to its end.

Peace be with you.

Or ... in the words of Douglas Adams.

Don't Panic!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This thread is just to funny.
Michaeledwald you ask why it was insulting to me, to tell you the truth it is just a gut thing with me, I know you are not trying to be dis-respectful it just was to me and I wish I could tell you why just can't.

So for now it is a lost case for me keep on going sir.
Terry

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Josh, in all fairness I ask you. If the world was coming to an end due to "everything that's gone on the past thousands of years", just as "He said it would", is the process of that just really slow, then? More to the point, I presume then that, since it's been happenning for "thousands of years", the world is in worse or "closer to the end" shape than it was when "He" was predicting. Yes?

Further then, at what rate of decline are we then declining? Like, 5% of Apocalypse / Millenium? Or are we closer..... 33% of Apocalypse / Millenium? Would these be the units in which we'd measure this? That is, if it's been happening now for thousands of years.......

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So Josh, are you saying that none of these things happened BEFORE Jesus came along?

Also, what makes you feel that something that has been going on for thousands of years is coming to a head? The world has been in positions like the one we're in now on many occasions, and the end did not come. What makes you think it's going to now, or anytime soon? I though the world was supposed to end when the year 2000 got here? What about all the other times those in your position claimed the end of the world is coming and it didn't?

Again, I respect your devotion to your beliefs but I'm not seeing anything in your statements that have not been said by many before you who, quite frankly, were wrong.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MODERATOR NOTE:

This topic is spun off from this thread regarding 10 Commandments posted in Gov't buildings.

G Ketchmark/shesulsa
Sr. Moderator

dobermann

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Josh said:
People have claimed to be christ in the past just as He said they would and many have followed them only to be deceived. Look at all the wars that have been going on and the fact that we can hear of anything big so easily with the news and all the Bad weather, the huriccanes, tsunamis, etc... and all the Disease like SARS and the Bird Flu, and that's just those two examples. That's evidence enough for me.

yeah and all the diseases and tsunamis start in the islamic regions of our world! thats clear proof! same goes for the WTC, new orleans, florida.. its just the BAD people that get hit!

note: this is a sarcastic post..

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I feel the ten commandments should be left in the public courthouses because as far as Judeo-Christian tradition is concerned it was the first book of Law. I was told in an history class once that God was, in relation to to the other gods and godesses, a god of contracts. That contract being the Ten Commandments. Each commandment is a usefull idea to live your life by. For instance the "honor thy Father and Mother" is not only a good idea for yourself and your journey through life, but a good role to play in the raising of children. Another look at the same topic from an anthrological point of view is that we follow the Sib Kinship system; now, don't mess with it. In conclusion I say that until we no longer consider the United States part of western civilization, the Statue stays. Its the the birth of western thought and Law.
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As for some of what is being discussed here. From some limited study of Jewish history I found they were very Anti-Plague which meant if you got sick you were out or kept far away until you got better or died. All the right to privacy and love of your children took second string to the good of the tribe. Times were hard and survival meant drastic measures. I bring this up because I want to point out that of course the ten commandments effect people differently at different times because we all face different concerns. And of course the trouble starts when we consider ourselves beyond,say, the ten Commandments, because it wasn't about varying concerns, but about family and basic morrays of personal and scocietal (is that a word?) conduct.
Sean

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I believe that the ten commandments are the basis of three major religions (Christianity, Islam and Judaism)...yet from a christian stand point Jesus never went about forcing his ideas on people...so if some people take offence at it remove it....christianity is really a non confrontational religion.

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
I feel the ten commandments should be left in the public courthouses because as far as Judeo-Christian tradition is concerned it was the first book of Law. I was told in an history class once that God was, in relation to to the other gods and godesses, a god of contracts. That contract being the Ten Commandments. Each commandment is a usefull idea to live your life by. For instance the "honor thy Father and Mother" is not only a good idea for yourself and your journey through life, but a good role to play in the raising of children. Another look at the same topic from an anthrological point of view is that we follow the Sib Kinship system; now, don't mess with it. In conclusion I say that until we no longer consider the United States part of western civilization, the Statue stays. Its the the birth of western thought and Law.
Sean

Yea I like the "Honor thy father and mother" commandment too and I do believe in most commandments BUT, not all the commandments are good.

This commandment;

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]
Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

teaches bigotry. No other gods but Yahweh? So a pantheist like me can't acknowledge the infinite multiverse as God? Tisk tisk.

[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]
The next commandment;

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

What? I can make whatever I want and you can't stop me. It's my right.

Next Commandment;

Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

I don't agree that God is jelous. In fact I believe that He/She/It is free from human emotion and human reason. As for bowing toward other gods, I do think it's a waste of time but its your right.

Next commandment.

[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]

Easier said than done. In any case I don't see any harm in it. Why would the eternal bliss of God care?

Next Commanment.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ***, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.[/FONT]

Well I don't see any wrong with coveting. Just as long as it doesn't take over you to the point you harm yourself or others.

The next commandment is okay to a certian extent.

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Don't believe in such days, although I do tend to keep a rest day :). Don't know whether I can consider it "holy". But to a certian extent I agree.
[/FONT]
[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica][/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]

The next comandment also agree with to a certian extent.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.[/FONT]
[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
I do think minors should always do this but when the child becomes an adult he no longer has the obligation IMO. It still is an okay commandment.

I mostly agree with the next commandment;

Thou shalt not commit adultery.

You shouldn't do this unless you get permission from your spouse. As long as both of you know and permit each other to have [/FONT]"voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and a partner other than the lawful spouse" I am okay with it. However most of the time spouses don't appove of it so it is wrong to do so in most cases.

The next comandments I totally agree;

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Thou shalt not kill.[/FONT]

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Thou shalt not steal.[/FONT]

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.[/FONT]

These particular commandments are so important that we should have laws backing them up.

[FONT=&quot]
So I guess I would at least partially agree with 6/10 of the commandments. Does this mean we should keep it in public places? Well I don't care too much about it even if we had any type of religious document but I do see where atheists are coming from when they say it establishes a religion. The 10 commandments are a Judeo-Christian document and there are many other religions out there. I however disagree with atheists on God being taken out of the pledge because God can mean many things. In fact some definitions of God make atheists seem non-existent.

BTW sorry for any typos ;).
[/FONT]

Oh cool my 500th post! Finally a black belt belt!:partyon:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kane said:
Yea I like the "Honor thy father and mother" commandment too and I do believe in most commandments BUT, not all the commandments are good.

This commandment;

teaches bigotry. No other gods but Yahweh? So a pantheist like me can't acknowledge the infinite multiverse as God? Tisk tisk.

The next commandment;

What? I can make whatever I want and you can't stop me. It's my right.

Next Commandment;

I don't agree that God is jelous. In fact I believe that He/She/It is free from human emotion and human reason. As for bowing toward other gods, I do think it's a waste of time but its your right.

Next commandment.

Easier said than done. In any case I don't see any harm in it. Why would the eternal bliss of God care?

Next Commanment.
[/FONT]

Well I don't see any wrong with coveting. Just as long as it doesn't take over you to the point you harm yourself or others.

The next commandment is okay to a certian extent.

Don't believe in such days, although I do tend to keep a rest day :). Don't know whether I can consider it "holy". But to a certian extent I agree.
[/FONT]

The next comandment also agree with to a certian extent.
[/FONT]

I do think minors should always do this but when the child becomes an adult he no longer has the obligation IMO. It still is an okay commandment.

I mostly agree with the next commandment;

You shouldn't do this unless you get permission from your spouse. As long as both of you know and permit each other to have [/FONT]"voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and a partner other than the lawful spouse" I am okay with it. However most of the time spouses don't appove of it so it is wrong to do so in most cases.

The next comandments I totally agree;

These particular commandments are so important that we should have laws backing them up.

[FONT=&quot]
So I guess I would at least partially agree with 6/10 of the commandments. Does this mean we should keep it in public places? Well I don't care too much about it even if we had any type of religious document but I do see where atheists are coming from when they say it establishes a religion. The 10 commandments are a Judeo-Christian document and there are many other religions out there. I however disagree with atheists on God being taken out of the pledge because God can mean many things. In fact some definitions of God make atheists seem non-existent.

BTW sorry for any typos ;).
[/FONT]

Oh cool my 500th post! Finally a black belt belt!:partyon:
Dare I say your understanding of the Ten Commandments is overwhelming. I say this because I forget sometimes that people actually think this way. Watch the Movie "Buffalo 66" and you will see a Mother whom puts puts other gods before God. I could go on and site movie examples of the ten commandments for you but I know you could do it yourself if you want. Let me start you out slow. Gilligans Island was a social representation of the seven deadly sins on each episode. Start there see if you can spot where things go wrong.
Sean

Latest Discussions