What if?

Zephyor

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Consider 2 martial artists: X and Y .
Both have identical body performace/type
Both have identical talent towards theyr art,
Both trained for same amount of time, equally proficient.

X does Muay Thai
Y does Wing Chun

How would a fight between them degenerate?
PS: I don't try to say that one art is better than other neither to proofe it, i just want to know how would these 2 styles interact with eachother

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Degenerate'? You mean turn into a brawl?

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Let's assume they both have decent bone conditioning.

Nak muay's best bet is to:

A) keep wing chun man at a distance to blow him up with kicks which, no matter how good you are at any martial art, are going to suffer from. The kick however may get caught if not careful.
B) maintain dominant clinching to hurl vicious knees, elbows and sweeps.

Now, with all the tools the nak muay has against wing chun man over here, his best bets would be:

A)taking advantage of openings in the guard required to throw hard kicks
B)since traditional nak muays are never combo-punchers, more setup punchers, a good, precise flurry of strikes may do their job very well. However, there is always a threat of a combo-breaking elbow or knee.
C)clinch better than the other guy to keep pressure holds, throw strikes and sweeps.

It would really go either way.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it depends on what's at stake and who wants it more. I still don't think you meant 'degenerate' though, there's nothing degenerate about fighting though there's some who think there is.

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Im just offering my opinion, which may be totally wrong. But as time is a factor of improvement lets say if its 2 beginners going at it, the muay thai would have a competitive edge as they do more conditioning and it's generally a hard art, where as most WC is soft hence will take time before being effective.....unless the school trains spraing from day 1 i guess? o_O

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
"How would a fight between them degenerate?"
Degenerate?
- Having sunk to a condition below that which is normal to a particular standard:
- Having sunk to a lower and usually corrupt and vicious state;
- Having low moral standards; not honest, proper, or good

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"How would a fight between them degenerate?"
Degenerate?
- Having sunk to a condition below that which is normal to a particular standard:
- Having sunk to a lower and usually corrupt and vicious state;
- Having low moral standards; not honest, proper, or good
We can make sense of the question if we use the second definition. It's not the question he meant, but we can certainly start answering that one. :angelic:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possibly, if there were rules set forth and one broke a rule or two and the other did as well.
Or just became more vicious. (I originally typed "viscous", which changes the entire direction of this thread. And, perhaps, the fight.)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or just became more vicious. (I originally typed "viscous", which changes the entire direction of this thread. And, perhaps, the fight.)

I can go with viscous, it makes it slide easier.....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think being honest that rather than asking a hypothetical question that is nearly impossible to answer it would be better to go out and experiment. there's rarely any way of knowing how a fight like that would pan out, too many variables despite what the OP thinks is them being equal.
Are there rules? If so what? Are there rounds, all techniques allowed or some not? Is it a grudge or revenge fight? Has one got more to lose/prove than the other?
These would be people fighting not robots with all the frailties and strengths of people, you could speculate that they would use certain techniques because of their style but as always with any fight, it's the person not the style.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, if it was an internet forum fight - I think the Wing Chun guy would have had the longer training camp. (Oh, snap!)

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
What if the Titanic didn't hit the iceberg... would Ip man ever have trained Bruce Lee

Silly question. I think we all know that if the Titanic didn't sink, Yip Man would have gone on to open a chain of grocery stores in Australia leaving Bruce Lee free to follow his dancing career which would have had him ending up as a judge on Dancing With the Stars.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
By appearing on the latest so-called "educational show" about combat sports...

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe "degenerate" means if neither attacker is getting a solid hit...then they get frustrated and abandon all their training, converting it into the kind of video you would get if you typed "street fight" into Youtube's search engine.

Latest Discussions