Direct qigong experiences...

M

Master of Blades

Okay call me stupid, But what in gods name is qigong? Wasnt he that dude from Star Wars or suming?

:confused:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
QI(CHI) = ENERGY

GONG(KUNG) = SKILL

QIGONG = THE SKILL OF ATTRACTING VITAL ENERGY

Qigong is a self-healing art that combines movement and meditation. Visualizations are employed to enhance the mind/body connection and assist healing.
From Qigong Association of America
http://www.qi.org/

The word Qigong (pronounced chi kung) is a combination of two ideas: “Qi” means air, breath of life, or vital energy of the body, and “gong” means the skill of working with, or cultivating, self-discipline and achievement. The art of Qigong consists primarily of meditation, relaxation, physical movement, mind-body integration, and breathing exercises. Practitioners of Qigong develop an awareness of qi sensations (energy) in their body and use their mind to guide the Qi. When the practitioners achieve a sufficient skill level (master), they can direct or emit external Qi for the purpose of healing others.
From Qigong Institute
http://www.qigonginstitute.org/

:asian:

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey,

I went to see a guy named Bernie Langan in Berkeley, CA. He trained under BK Frantzis and Eskrima under Sonny Umpad. He does qigong and neigung. I watch his Bagua class. I was with a couple friends who met him in the past. It's not exactly a trick, but as a demo one of my friends held his arm tight about the wrist and forearm. He then placed his fist about a quarter inch from my shoulder and then he punched. My friend was moved slightly, but the important part is that he was really able to get a good punch in with such a small build up and being restrained as he was. It left a deep bruise too.

He attributed that skill and others like it to qigong practices, specifically neigung. There was nothing mystical about it. He just was able to use the skills gained from the exercise to force his punch through what was restraining him and generate a good deal of power in a very small space. If the strike was on my head, it would for sure have given me a good stun if not worse.

I've seen other qigong results even in myself. Through practicing a set of postures in a form of standing meditation I found that I was more relaxed in hitting, not really in kicking, but definitely in the hand strikes. Standing meditation is a form of qigong used in some types of Hsing I and other internal arts. It's good stuff, but it requires standing still for about 40 plus minutes a day. I was going crazy doing that so I stopped and returned to regular forms practice, which has good benefits too.

I've come across some hokey claims, but I've never believed them or seen any proof. I think that real qigong is a practice that teaches you about your body mechanics and state of mind and then gives you exercises with which to take advantage of what you've learned.

T

TkdWarrior

It's not exactly a trick, but as a demo one of my friends held his arm tight about the wrist and forearm. He then placed his fist about a quarter inch from my shoulder and then he punched.
i think this happens with correct body posture n putting ur power behind(all that old stuff) i won't give any credits to qi gong on this... i always do this tricks to impress(yea yea) some of non believers in MA, normally i place my palm on their chest n hit them from that distance they normally see me shake once n feel the hit hard enuff. from my understanding it will take u about a week or two to make this trick punch...

-TkdWarrior-

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that some traditional forms will serve the same purpose as qigong. I wasn't impressed too much by the punch but I was surprised. I was able to duplicate it after we stopped at Denny's on the way home for dinner. But he was more relaxed than I was when he did it. That may have something to do with it. Forms always have a martial bent to them, qigong can be purely for health so it doesn't carry that baggage.

We all have tricks like that. We all have some tricks too to break them. A kind of pompous guy did the "unbendable" arm trick once at a party. He invited me to bend it. I gently shoved a knuckle into his brachial nerve and the arm bent pretty quick, much to his surprise. He wasn't very happy though.

T

TkdWarrior

. But he was more relaxed than I was when he did it. That may have something to do with it.
the more relax u r the more power u can generate in ur punch within short distance well i called it trick cause this is used to get some students ;) but following on this principle u can generate some hard power n can use while fighting...

ok my experience with Qi-gong..
1. Borrrrrrrrrinnnnnnnngggg
2. lots of pain in back of thigh,n calves, shoulders too
3. gives u feeling of sinking
4. i pee after every session like i havn't done in ages :D i asked n come to know it's healthy to do, if you are not then probably u havn't worked enuff... i had this experiene with good Yoga session too
5. very energetic feeling after session

hmm i m stilling trying to figure out the Chi balls part :D
-TkdWarrior-

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ok my experience with Qi-gong..
1. Borrrrrrrrrinnnnnnnngggg

I have to agree. A famous Hsing I sifu, David Chen, said that you should think of your spouse or happy thoughts. That you're trying to free your mind of all thoughts except the positive, so that your body can function correctly for the duration of the meditation.

I found that interesting and I tried it. I'm not big on qigong, some sifu's have told me that's normal and that I'm just not ready for it yet. I'd have to agree. I don't do any now. But my mind is open as I've seen the benefits in other people, most notably in posture and back pain. If I were you I'd check out what type of qigong you're doing and maybe try something else, or get professional instruction, if you're doing it on your own.

What qigoing are you doing? Iron Shirt? 8 Pieces of Brocade? Dao Chi?

Y

yilisifu

Qigong is a vital part of Yiliquan, which I teach. You need to have a good instructor who can help you along this path.

R

RyuShiKan

While I was in China I had both acupuncture and Chi Gong done on me many times.

One time I was being treated for a blow that left my urine the color of Coke Cola……not good.

The therapist was standing behind me and I was kind of slumped over waiting for him to do something.
I felt as if someone were flicking my back with their finger but from the inside out. So I asked the therapist “Is that all you are going to do is flick me with your finger?”
He replied “I’m not touching you” He was standing about 6 feet away and he was the only person in the room.

H

Humble artist

Best to get a teacher.
If not,trouble may find it´s way to you.

T

TkdWarrior

well basically i do is Zhan Zhuang/pole standing excercises... it's not like that i hav probs but after some practice the pain is gone
normally u should think of happy thoughts while doing ZZ but the heightest point is "doing nothing" in mind, so when u start it can get tiresome boring... i used to stance training before so my mind wear out before my body :D
ZZ teaches u lots of mind control
the other qi-gong sort of excercise which i do is taiji painfully slow and soft Iron body gung which is much more of conditioning Gung
i do know 8 piecec of brocade but i just don't find satisfaction with it... i luv my things :)
-TkdWarrior-

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I practice Wang Ji Wu's Xing Yi Nei Gong and some stance training (San Ti). Basicially this is to learn how to recognize internal connections and to allign the body's tissues and bones before practicing martial arts. When I was practicing Kajukenbo pretty avidly I found that I could move move quickly and in a much more relaxed manner; it was also helpful insofar as I could take the hits and throws a lot better. (There's an excellent book and tape by Tim Cartmell if anyone is interested.)

As far as the Nei Gong goes I generally feel a softening throughout the entire body and some heat in my palms. There is also a feeling of heightened consciousness. I also try to direct my mind into areas that have taken some abuse in the past, like my lower back and right shoulder, to get them to soften and loosen up. The San Ti training is pretty painful because you're in a static pose for an extended period of time: everything that should be relaxing usually hurts a lot before that happens.

As all of Xing Yi training can be considered a form of Qi Gong or Nei Gong there's really a lot to talk about. For that matter, a lot of forms from many martial arts can be considered Nei Gong if practiced in the correct manner. For example, I also practice a style of Filipino martial art that has an 8-10 minute form. The idea is to try to be relaxed as possible and to move the stick from your center rather than just using your arms. This also involves using the legs and waist correctly.

The Nei Gong and Qi Gong that I practice are ususally tied into Chinese medicine as my teacher is an acupuncturist (as am I). One thing he told me about the Filipino arts that I found very interesting is that most guys who bang sticks a lot can be a little jacked-up all of the time. This is because, according to his teacher, they're jarring the Heart meridian that runs down the inner forearm to the pinkie. On the other hand, a lot of the "old men" who do mostly solo practice are generally pretty secure with themselves. That's because they're opening and smoothing out the heart meridian.

One day I went out to the park to practice our form. It was late afternoon and I had just returned from training. One of my training partners had managed to dislocate my pinkie finger on my left hand. This hand usually holds a wooden training dagger (we do espada y daga). My finger still hurt alot even though it had been set and I couldn't close it more than a little so I had to hold the dagger with three fingers instead of four. After about an hour of practice I noticed that I could close my pinke finger completely around the dagger finger. Of course, it still hurt for a couple of weeks but the range of motion remained very good, and I think it healed a lot faster than it normally would have.

Anyhow, that's my "Qi Gong Experience" story.

Best,

Steve Lamade

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan
While I was in China I had both acupuncture and Chi Gong done on me many times.

One time I was being treated for a blow that left my urine the color of Coke Cola……not good.

The therapist was standing behind me and I was kind of slumped over waiting for him to do something.
I felt as if someone were flicking my back with their finger but from the inside out. So I asked the therapist “Is that all you are going to do is flick me with your finger?”
He replied “I’m not touching you” He was standing about 6 feet away and he was the only person in the room.

There is a US$ 1 million for him to collect.

http://www.randi.org/research/index.html

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a US$ 1 million for him to collect.

KennethKu: I think the $1 mil would go to someone who can defy the laws of physics. In my humble opinion, real qi-gong wouldn't defy physics, therefore a real qi-gong practitioner would never get the mil no matter how amazing he was. If anyone is able to manipulate someone else in anyway using there bodies Biological/electical energy (my american word for "Qi") "physically without touching them," then I am sure there will be a way to explain how it was done using modern science. They wouldn't, then, get the $$. That doesn't make it any less amazing, and it doesn't discredit it. It would only discredit it if the person was outright lying. It just makes it less "mystical" and more realistic.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you can emit energy from your body send it through the air or vacuum and basically "reach out and touch someone" for that matter, you definitely deserve some forms of recognition. You would stun the medical world for sure.

Just prove it. Don't worry about explaining it interms of science or not. Just demonstrate that the result can be produced under a controlled environment. You got nothing to lose. They will fly out to your location to offer you the test. That is the preliminary test. The formal test is done by an independent party.

If people truly possess all this "alleged" power, they ought to be able to repeat their performance at will, under most environment.

I don't mean to sound like a chest pounding crusader. It is just that extra ordinary claims require extra ordinary proof. Normally, you are required to prove your claim at your expense. Here, Randi Organization offers a US$ 1 million as prize. I am surprised that the GiGong doctors in China would not find the prize an easy picking, and they can make good use of the prize for research funding.

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by KennethKu
If you can emit energy from your body send it through the air or vacuum and basically "reach out and touch someone" for that matter, you definitely deserve some forms of recognition. You would stun the medical world for sure.

That happens evertime after I eat some good ol' Texas Chili. :D

C

chufeng

KennethKu,

There is NOTHING extraordinary about manipulating qi...
We all possess the ability...those who choose "logic only," as a means to think about their world, miss so much on a day to day basis.

Your continued posts about Randi's 1mil$$$ seems to be a copout, to me. Can YOU come up with a reasonable argument against the existence of qi? If it's because you haven't experienced it, that is NOT an argument against its existence, but an argument for your lack of experience with it.

Do you believe in God? Prove He exists...you can't...
If you don't believe in God...prove He doesn't exist...you can't...
Do you believe in Love? show it to me under a microscope...demonstrate HOW the person changes, with science, when they are in love...you can't...

This thread is about peoples' experiences with qi and qigong...NOT about debunking...

I know there are charlatans out there who make false claims...
I know there are people who may have been "suckered" into believing something that is not real...
I am against all of that...but I think to close your eyes to what is possible is even more unfortunate...

IMHO

chufeng

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No Sir, I have not commented on Qi or CHI or NeiGong. My objection is to the claim or assertion of the capability to project or emit energy from one's body to impact an external object at a distance. This physical phenomenon if true, should be verifiable. You cannot make such claim but refuse to have it verified.

Love is a state of emotional expression. You cannot project it to affect an external object. Love is communicated, not emitted nor transmitted.

God or faith is not emitted nor transmitted. It is internal and is a state of being.

Love, faith are state of being. They are not physical phenomena.

As for "internal art" or Qi or NeiGong, I have no idea what it is. My comment on it, is not worth horse piss.

However, if someone makes claim of producing a physical phenomenon, then it must be reproducible and verifiable independently.

For example, some Qi Gong practitioners claimed and demonstrated they could withstand a kick in the groin, on stage. I would believe that if they are willing to have that performance tested in a controlled environment. OR at least allow me to do the kicking! :D And the one show where these supposedly Shaolin monks could bend a spear pivoted against their throats. Yeah, do that in a controlled environment or let me stab him with my own spear! On second thought, NO. I am not going to jail for this BS stunt.

Anyway, all I am saying is, if some one claims to produce a physical phenomenon, then it should be verifiable independently. I don't pretend to know squat about Qi . If someone says Qi can do this or that, great, lets see the proof. Simple as that. In GOD we trust, every one else must bring proof.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by TkdWarrior
well basically i do is Zhan Zhuang/pole standing excercises... it's not like that i hav probs but after some practice the pain is gone

Pain while doing qigong, or any discomfort, is usually caused by "stagnant" qi. It should resolve itself over time, as your body becomes more accustomed to the practices... If it doesn't, you need to let your instructor know; he/she should know what to do to help you through it - if he/she doesn't, then they have no business "teaching" you qigong...

normally u should think of happy thoughts while doing ZZ but the heightest point is "doing nothing" in mind

What a complete load of crap.

If you stand and do nothing, and you think only "happy thoughts," or attempt to think about "nothing," the you are not doing qigong... Without the yi ("intent" or "mind") driving the qi, there is no qigong... Period.

Gambarimasu.