Difficulties training in different types of Wing Chun.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The goal is get you trained enough to defend yourself as fast as possible so concepts from the knives and dummy are taught early

I like this attitude. Obviously with so much material, you can't rush things ...but getting the essential concepts out there quickly makes perfect sense if you want people to be able to apply their stuff functionally.

This is what I like about the Escrima I train. It provides the directness and immediate practicality that is sometimes lacking in our WC curriculum. Some fault me for not being a pure WC guy, but the combination works for me. :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some fault me for not being a pure WC guy, ...
For some reason, the term "not be a pure WC guy" has been mentioned quite often.

I have never heard anybody ever said that he is not a pure

- Taiji guy,
- XingYi guy,
- Bagua guy,
- long fist guy,
- preying mantis guy,

What's so special about the WC system that's so different from the other CMA systems that cross training is not encouraged?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
:):)
For some reason, the term "not be a pure WC guy" has been mentioned quite often.

I have never heard anybody ever said that he is not a pure

- Taiji guy,
- XingYi guy,
- Bagua guy,
- long fist guy,
- preying mantis guy,

What's so special about the WC system that's so different from the other CMA systems that cross training is not encouraged?

You've seen the way we stand.... obviously we have a stick up our....:)..

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When a BJJ guy throws a hook punch, or throw a side kick, will people call his BJJ not pure?
I think arguments about "Authenticity" and "purity" would go straight out the window if we paid more attention to functionality and tested it.

...Even if we tested it in the narrow confines of what we train for. Namely, narrow confines! ;)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think arguments about "Authenticity" and "purity" would go straight out the window if we paid more attention to functionality and tested it.

...Even if we tested it in the narrow confines of what we train for. Namely, narrow confines! ;)
If you said that my long fist is pure, to me that's a personal insult. It means that

- I stop growing, and
- my MA knowledge is limited.

The nature path for long fist guys are:

long fist -> preying mantis (for speed generation) -> Baji (for power generation) -> SC (for throwing skill).

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The nature path for long fist guys are:
long fist -> preying mantis (for speed generation) -> Baji (for power generation) -> SC (for throwing skill).

^^^^That sounds like old school Chinese MMA :). I like the idea!

Then what about the progression of arts you train as you age?

Decades ago, a Chinese friend of mine told me that the young and athletic train athletic styles with deep long stances and big, or even acrobatic techniques. Mature men in their late 20s through their 50s train systems with more economical movements like Wing Chun or Southern Mantis, and finally, old men do stuff like Tai Chi.

...And then there are a few CRAZY old men who keep doing really tough arts like Shuai chiao. Best to steer clear of them!!! :D

FinalStreet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Wing Chun already as existing, is already tested.

Also, what is the point of training for the narrow confines. Martial arts, Wing Chun atleast 3 forms, is about expanding youself (not externally).
So if only 1 tool for many problems what's the point. It's not better. :astronaut::eek:

:wideyed: It sounds like, you want original Wing Chun, but have yet to experience it and want to try it.

:cigar::cigar:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wing Chun already as existing, is already tested.

Testing is not something you do once. Saying "Great grandpa tested it and it worked great for him" really doesn't cut it. Testing and adapting is a continual, and ongoing process.

:wideyed:It sounds like, you want original Wing Chun, but have yet to experience it and want to try it.

Original? Can you explain that for me? Like the chicken and the egg, there is always something that came before. Or do you subscribe to the thinking that there was a time, maybe 50, or 100, or 150 years ago when Wing Chun was "original", ...and that all or most WC has become diminished over time. Or perhaps you feel that a few teachers secretly maintain the original quality? Who would that be? Please share!

FinalStreet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Testing is not something you do once. Saying "Great grandpa tested it and it worked great for him" really doesn't cut it. Testing and adapting is a continual, and ongoing process.

Original? Can you explain that for me? Like the chicken and the egg, there is always something that came before. Or do you subscribe to the thinking that there was a time, maybe 50, or 100, or 150 years ago when Wing Chun was "original", ...and that all or most WC has become diminished over time. Or perhaps you feel that a few teachers secretly maintain the original quality? Who would that be? Please share!

Yes and Yes. It's in History already, and continues behind closed doors. Not a suprise look at the way YM started teaching. Wing Chun today is still a secret. Mainstream is not. Not all can transmit pure or original WC because not all had it in the first place. :arghh::android:

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, we certainly are lucky that you joined this week to tell us all that we are ignorant, but you possess the knowledge that we have wasted our lives pursuing. And at only 28 years old! How silly those of us who have trained and tested ourselves longer than you have been alive must feel.

Who is your teacher if we may ask? Did they teach you to represent them this way to the martial arts community?

FinalStreet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What make you think that the original pure WC is better than today's WC?

DOS < Window
typewriter < PC
8 track < CD
pager < cell phone
original WC < today's WC

Everybody knows original is better thats why theres alot of interest in how YKS and Yip Man teach not not their students so much. If WC is better today? What on earth make you think that? If it only loses nowadays in fights compared to before. :banghead::asshat:

FinalStreet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, we certainly are lucky that you joined this week to tell us all that we are ignorant, but you possess the knowledge that we have wasted our lives pursuing. And at only 28 years old! How silly those of us who have trained and tested ourselves longer than you have been alive must feel.

Who is your teacher if we may ask? Did they teach you to represent them this way to the martial arts community?

Thanks for clicking profile, I didn't mean to cause upset if commenting, 28 was a fake age to conceal identity. It's just to say a different point of feel. :artist::astronaut:

FinalStreet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Plus it's not the object that can be better its the idea of the purpose of it or skill it has. So students have to come from original source WC, like 1960s. (Just joking - before) like 1950s and earlier. and yes those 10 years difference means alot. Original student YM transmit probably half and I mean YM -> TO HIS STUDENT. Not like CST to his :yawn: What's the point? :D:chicken:. Yes dilution and not being taught right in the first place, then reselling on top of that.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Plus it's not the object that can be better its the idea of the purpose of it or skill it has. So students have to come from original source WC, like 1960s. (Just joking - before) like 1950s and earlier. and yes those 10 years difference means alot. Original student YM transmit probably half and I mean YM -> TO HIS STUDENT. Not like CST to his :yawn: What's the point? :D:chicken:. Yes dilution and not being taught right in the first place, then reselling on top of that.

...but you know the real Wing Chun, right? You have the secret stuff that none of us are privy to?

Latest Discussions