Different types of forms

OP
F

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
are the stances in taegeuk different from the other forms? my understanding is that they don't require as low of a stance (front of back stance).... I could be wrong.

Langdow

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes the stances in the Taegeuk forms tend to be much higher. There are backstanced and forward stances used but the execution of the stances are a little bit different than the older forms.

If you look at the palgwae forms however, the predecessor to taegeuk, all the stances are fairly low, with the exception of I think palgwae 4. Kinda interesting to see the development of stances through the palgwae, yudanja, and then taegeuk patterns of the kukkiwon/wtf

R

rainbows

I do the ITF forms. My favourites so far are Joong-Gun and Toi-Gye. (sp?)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do Taekguek and ITF forms. I used to like Koryo the most until I learned Kwang Gye in the ITF forms. I also like Chung Mu. It was challenging to learn to do especially the 360 jump spin to back stance. Our back stance is done low, not as low as Kung Fu but it is supposed to be low. Also I trained for a low forward stance, really stretched out because that looks better in competition, is harder especially to kick from and is a really stable stance.

To learn them better, I say it out loud as I am learning them. Down block, front kick, etc. I remember what I'm doing and the order and I'm ingraining it into my memory. Now I am at the point where I am supposed to instruct others verbally and it is really helpful to have learned it this way. Also, it is great to have that litany going on inside your head when you are stressed like at a testing doing form or at a tournament.

When you learn a form, keep practicing it at least once a week with the new form you are presently learning. So the first ones become easy and automatic. When you get to black belt, you will know them all and not have to relearn them over again. TW

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Faye said:
are the stances in taegeuk different from the other forms? my understanding is that they don't require as low of a stance (front of back stance).... I could be wrong.

I did TSD first, so yes, the Taegeuk forms are higher in stance. But I still got the habbit of going "low" with my back stance and front stance :D It is a little akward with walking stance, which is, to me, a "regular everyday high stance" like walking :idunno: Just me, though.

I

ipscshooter

Our school does the Ch'ang Hon (ITF) forms. As others, I enjoyed Hwa Rang and Chung Moo. Currently working on Kwang Gae, Po Eun and Gae Bek, and hopefully a 2nd Dan at some point in the next year or so... I go to several forums and this is the first one where the Taeguk practitioners significantly outnumber the Ch'ang Hon practitioners.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im not sure what the differnece is but we do Hyungs, I have just garded to Yellow Belt Green Tip and am learning 'Do San' also do Chon Ji and Dan Gun.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sarah, it sounds like you do the ITF forms (ITF'ers correct me if I'm wrong). But the difference in term is "hyung," old Korean, and "poomsea," new Korean. Same thing, which means forms.

When I did Tang Soo Do, we called it hyung. Now that I do TKD, we call it poomsea (might be different spelling in some schools with either one).

So don't sweat it ;)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
Sarah, it sounds like you do the ITF forms (ITF'ers correct me if I'm wrong). But the difference in term is "hyung," old Korean, and "poomsea," new Korean. Same thing, which means forms.

When I did Tang Soo Do, we called it hyung. Now that I do TKD, we call it poomsea (might be different spelling in some schools with either one).

So don't sweat it ;)
You are right new Korea Poomsee old Hyung same meaning also Kata means the same just your forms

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
You are right new Korea Poomsee old Hyung same meaning also Kata means the same just your forms
I went to an ITF compitition here in New Zealand once and they just called them 'forms'. Do you yell at the beginning of your forms??

We yell out eg: 'DO SAN HYUNG'

OP
F

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
In my old school (WTF) yes, now, no...

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At our tournaments, the student does not announce what form he or she is going to do. He just steps to the center, bows, and goes into it. Since our tournaments are organization only, it's not like the judges are going to be surprised with a form they don't know.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear MichiganTKD:

Were a person to use an alternate form (hyung) in competition would that be acceptable? Do any folks study alternate forms in their personal training though not for competition? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Latest Discussions