Differences in Wing Chun & 7 Star Mantis

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
brothershaw said:
7star- does 7star mantis have any exlpicit opinions on the centerline? I know some of the wing chun center line stuff has to be implied in other systems mainly becuase some of it is just common sense stuff you might not think about.
No, not really. I would seperate "center" from "centerline". We tend to focus more on feeling it. We are not concerned with our centerline really as much as simply moving your center away from the attack, be it up, down, or either side or a combination of all of these. I'm sure alot of the using of the center is very similar, we just dont focus as much on centerline. We heavily focus on yielding and "Evading Full Force" so we tend to ignore the centerline, but only if you have enough feel and body control to feel when someone is taking your center and change it. In fact, really advanced guys will almost let you get a throw or such set up just to out feel you and move their center and take yours, thus throwing you instead.

brothershaw said:
I have a friend who did 7 star and wing chun I will ask him about his opinions on the differences. To my knowledge 7 star is a large,medium and short range system where as wing chun is primarily concerned with being in close. ALso from the very little 7star I saw the moves appear to be bigger without the elbow in, everything comeing from the center type of emphasis. Feel fre to comment or correct.
I wouldn't consider mantis anything but close range. There are many people who misunderstand some of the principels and try to apply them to different ranges, but in my understanding, its all extremely close range. In fact, we allways here we should be able to do all our forms or techniques inside an elevator, or after 9/11 in the isle of an airplane. Because we focus so much on yielding and turning at the waist and colapsing any and all parts of the body to close the gap or create contact. A realy good mantis fighter would attempt to stay as closely conected to you with as many parts of the body as possible...we refer to it as "clinging". First you learn sticking, then clinging. We try to be so close that we use the analogy of "The drunk friend at the bar". Imagine a drunk friend barely able to stand leaning on yoru shoulders. As you move to push him off, the part of his body you push moves with your push and the other parts of his body stay "on top" of you. Very hard to explain.

As to bigger movements, I think this may be another issue of an underskilled practitioner. At first we teach very big circles, large movements. but the advanced player should "tighten" or make those circles smaller, much smaller. We even say to make the circle as small as the diameter of a toothpick. We do use alot of elbow techniques and alot of moves keep the elbows in close to the cetner, again because we turn and yield the waiste so much. There are many techniques however with the elbows out, but mostly they are attacks or redirects with yielding.

Any of that make sense?

7sm

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Any of that make sense?

7sm

Yes it all did. I definitely have to try to get a look at 7 star again close up maybe at the next tourny. I have been doing wing chun for awhile so pretty much anything not southern close range ( mantis, wing chun, bai mei) tends to look big to me. I remember somebody posted some good clips on kung fu forum a couple years back.
7 star sounds very yielding like tai chi. I guess I will have an interesting convo with my sifu when I see him.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
brothershaw said:
7 star sounds very yielding like tai chi. I guess I will have an interesting convo with my sifu when I see him.
Yes and may I add, I believe we focus more heavily on these types of principles than many 7* schools, so the way I (or those in my family) explain things may be a little different from other 7* mantis families.

7sm

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you guys are incorporating tai chi like principles, it sound like you should have some good stuff training wise.

Latest Discussions