Differences between snake, crane and northern mantis

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If only that were true. A lot of charlatans out there

Yes. I can never comprehend how people can do that. That would be like myself walking into a MMA gym and proclaiming that I know MMA, just because of exposure to Muay Thia. Surely these people should be prosecuted for a criminal act. It would be if a student injured themselves while in the Dojo or whatever. Not too mention that how can a instructor teach in the first place. You need some kind of license or certification no?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No. Here in the US it's truly a "caveat emptor" rule & I'm ok with that. I don't want another layer of gov't. The less than credible are normally found out in short order & fade away in the background. Sometimes though they have a top marketing team & they stay longer than they should while the most credible do the fading act. It works out to be about equal though.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. Here in the US it's truly a "caveat emptor" rule & I'm ok with that. I don't want another layer of gov't. The less than credible are normally found out in short order & fade away in the background. Sometimes though they have a top marketing team & they stay longer than they should while the most credible do the fading act. It works out to be about equal though.

Probably the same over here I would imagine. I can understand red tape and all of that, I don't think that should be the case. Someone could get seriously hurt, or worse, with an instructor of dubious credentials.

dlcox

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Anyway, the Omei crane set that I played with, from their instructional video, it was just following the movements and a couple applications of the movement, but without any explanation of the theory behind it, or how that system works to develop the fundamental basics. Example, if they have some version of the long technique to develop full body connection, it was never mentioned. So I begin to wonder if they understand any of it on that level, or if they too are simple going thru the motions. Although everyone on their videos tend to look like they are on steroids, including the women, so I guess they at least get into good shape. At any rate, I don't know where their Omei crane comes from, nor any history of the system, if it is even legitimate. As far as I know, he is still in operation.

Interesting post fellas.

Emei Crane, that's an enigma. There are actually some, what many would refer to as "Village" methods, of crane near that area. Mostly blends of Tibetan Bai He Pai with Bai Mei, Yong Chun and Long Xing. Which is interesting considering that all the oral legends state that these arts were in part or whole created by Wu Mei and that the Tibetan, Sichuan and Yunan areas is where the Crane originates. But as a specific Emei Temple Crane style.....Never seen or heard of it, most of the Emei systems are more modern than they would have you believe.

As for the relationship between Snake, Crane and Mantis....It is said that Crane is the mother of Southern Mantis and Dragon. Many techniques of Crane and Snake are very similar in shape, energy and usage. Both are considered internal or soft methods, the major difference between the two is movement. Snake stays in place Crane moves around. Northern Mantis shares many similarities as well with Crane but I think this has to do more with the fact that both have influences from Northern CMA than anything to do with animal attributes.

qianfeng

Green Belt
Reaction score
Most of the small village styles all have a baike(Chinese Wikipedia) page to them. If u type the name in Chinese comes up most of the time. Easy way to check if the style is legit or not. Or u could ask around Chinese forums at least one person would be practicing the said obscure style.

Latest Discussions