Difference between Northern and Southern?

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
Look at were they were developed
North - more open space
South - small narrow streets

Wing Chun – Southern
Xingyi - Northern

Northern mantis - bigger movements
Southern Mantis - smaller movements.

That is my understanding.

I'd second that!
Also, I read that usually southern people were shorter and builder. And northern were taller

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think one thing that hasn't been mentioned that I'VE seen as a very southern thing is the low solid stances, especially in sei ping ma. Southern systems seem (to me) to be more rooted than northern systems.

You know what's funny though? When I think Southern systems I don't think of Wing Chun first. I think of Hung Ga as being a classic southern system. Deep rooted stances and powerful movements.

But that's just me. And I AM a little biased. ;)

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
Look at were they were developed
North - more open space
South - small narrow streets

Wing Chun – Southern
Xingyi - Northern

Northern mantis - bigger movements
Southern Mantis - smaller movements.

That is my understanding.
I think in general this is true. I think the question itself leads to the simplification. Obviously there's no clear break between northern and southern but I think the above descriptions hold in general nonetheless.

I practised a southern style [Lau Gar - similar to Hung Family KF] for many years. It utilises much closer contact and less of the beautiful flamboyant spinning kicks etc. than perhaps used by more northerly originating styles. To me, northern styles were always much more "romantic" than us poor southern stylists. We're the bread-and-butter, get-the-job-done folk though!!

Respects!

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
funnytiger said:
I think one thing that hasn't been mentioned that I'VE seen as a very southern thing is the low solid stances, especially in sei ping ma. Southern systems seem (to me) to be more rooted than northern systems.

You know what's funny though? When I think Southern systems I don't think of Wing Chun first. I think of Hung Ga as being a classic southern system. Deep rooted stances and powerful movements.

But that's just me. And I AM a little biased. ;)

Yeah, but thats the problem I have with the distinction. Look at Wah Lum, they have very low solid stances. In fact we hold horse stance low enough to lay a staff across the legs, and we are considered northern (7* mantis).

7sm

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Yeah, but thats the problem I have with the distinction. Look at Wah Lum, they have very low solid stances. In fact we hold horse stance low enough to lay a staff across the legs, and we are considered northern (7* mantis).

7sm

Hmm... good point. But is that something that is prevalent in Northern styles or is 7* an anomaly in that sense? I would say that a majority of southern styles use the deep rooted stances.

But again. I'm biased. :)

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, Wah Lum is a northern style, and they use very low stances. I would say probably that most 7* schools use higher stances than we do so that may be a point I have to concede. I think our low stances may be from a wah lum influence anyway. Although alot of the "shaolin" I see uses quite low stances as well.

Who knows
7sm

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Well, Wah Lum is a northern style, and they use very low stances. I would say probably that most 7* schools use higher stances than we do so that may be a point I have to concede. I think our low stances may be from a wah lum influence anyway. Although alot of the "shaolin" I see uses quite low stances as well.

Who knows
7sm

I was aware that Wah Lum was a northern style, but didn't realize that they used such low stances. Maybe you can clear up something for me then. What is the relationship between Wah Lum and 7*? I thought they were one in the same, but obviously I was wrong?

Are these low northern stances "rooted" like the southern low stances? I guess that would be the key distinguishing characteristic.

With all respect.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
funnytiger said:
I was aware that Wah Lum was a northern style, but didn't realize that they used such low stances. Maybe you can clear up something for me then. What is the relationship between Wah Lum and 7*? I thought they were one in the same, but obviously I was wrong?

Are these low northern stances "rooted" like the southern low stances? I guess that would be the key distinguishing characteristic.

With all respect.
Well, lets see...
Wah Lum and 7 Star are similar in that they are both mantis systems developed (in my opinion) from the same source. Wah Lum tends to be a bit flashier with more jumping and high kicks, alot of cardio type movements as well. In my opinion, Wah Lum forms (at least intermediate to advanced) are very taxing on the body. We call our Wah Lum sets the "wind sets" in that they are very "winding" or highly cardiovascular. That doesn't mean our advanced 7* sets are not, it just seems Wah Lum uses more cardio type movements. The fighting is a bit harder to interpret from the forms in Wah Lum as it tends to be a bit more flashy. I think Wah Lum may expend a bit more energy than 7* does, but thats really getting into principles and such. I think 7* star is probably a more aggressive or destructive system, but like you say, I'm biased :) Of course I have studied both Wah Lum and 7*.

I think the point of low stances is the rooting, so most systems that teach low stances focus on rooting. In fact ,that is why my lineage has barrowed the low stances from Wah Lum, to teach and focus on rooting. I dont think rooting and low stances are one and the same, and I believe rooting can be done apart from low stances, but for beginners, low stances really helps teach the idea of rooting. We do practice a paradox of rooting yet staying light on the feet in case you must move...one of the many seemingly paradoxial practices we train.

7sm

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I use to practice Hung Ga when I was 14,15,16 on and off. I' was 5'10-6'2 when I was practicing Hung Ga yes I'm tall and we use to do a lot of horse stance and short-range applications so yes definately hung ga could be the best example.

I remember reading in the traditional ways, a hung ga student would practice horse stance for 3hours for 3years before learning a different move.