Did a little training with Tony Dismukes

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You did not "knock on the door" nor ask your opponent to enter. You just barged in. Your opponent is not double weighted. So, your opponent can counter as you attempt to step and grab—eliminating step 2.
Again. You fail to understand what he's saying. He's talking about attacking the guard. In Kung Fu. Just because you pull a guard like this doesn't mean we won't hit you. If you give CMA a free strike on your arms CMA will take it. Eventually that arm will knot up and become useless. If it doesn't knot up then at the bare minimum it will be really bruised so now you have to fight on an injury

This is the Boxing version of what Wang is talking about. Punching the guard. @0:40

In CMA punching and attacking limbs is a valid technique. If my opponents body is out of range of my attack but his arms or legs are in range. Then attack the arms and legs.

marvin8

Black Belt
Reaction score
Again. You fail to understand what he's saying. He's talking about attacking the guard.

In Kung Fu. Just because you pull a guard like this doesn't mean we won't hit you.
No, I understood it, quoted it including the demo clip and directly replied to it. You may not understand the reply. Again,

1. If the clean hand followed with a pull, even your opponent may shift weight to his back foot, he will pull you into him.
2. If you use your other hand to jam your opponent's back arm at the same time, his back hand cannot punch you.

You did not "knock on the door" nor ask your opponent to enter. You just barged in. Your opponent is not double weighted. So, your opponent can counter as you attempt to step and grab—eliminating step 2.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth — Mike Tyson

EG9VGZ0.gif

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Post #217 Did a little training with Tony Dismukes

The video in that post refers to the 2 statement below.
1. If the clean hand followed with a pull, even your opponent may shift weight to his back foot, he will pull you into him.
2. If you use your other hand to jam your opponent's back arm at the same time, his back hand cannot punch you.

Either way. This is tiresome. You have no real interest in this topic or anything mentioned in it, beyond being misleading.

marvin8

Black Belt
Reaction score
There is no video that goes to post #215 Did a little training with Tony Dismukes

Post #215 is where Wang talks about knocking on the front door.
I replied to both KFW's posts #215 and #217, in post #219. I quoted and replied directly.

For example, he believes to open your opponent's guard is a bad strategy. "To knock on the door, when your opponent opens the door, you enter" is CMA basic strategy 101.
No. I don't and never said that, only your interpretation may be bad. I said to lure an opponent with an asking hand, then enter when the opponent is double weighted.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is why you should only enter when your opponent's hands cannot punch you.

Here is another example. Without gloves, can you use your leading hand to hold/pull your opponent's leading arm like this? You may not be able to hold/pull that arm every time. But you don't have to enter every time. You only enter if you can achieve that.

Last edited:

marvin8

Black Belt
Reaction score
you couch them in logic or binary fashion, whether I agree or not.
The following statement is not binary...
Again, you took half a sentence and commented on it, which may misinterpret the meaning. If you begin by answering yes or no questions first with either a yes or no (binary) and use logic, it's an easier discussion. Otherwise, one has to repeat what was said and ask again for an answer to have a discussion. Here is the complete sentence:

No, I have agreed with you on occasion. I reply to your posts because you couch them in logic or binary fashion, whether I agree or not.

In the above two clips, did you "knock on the door?" Yes or no? It's a subject that you brought up.

For example, he believes to open your opponent's guard is a bad strategy. "To knock on the door, when your opponent opens the door, you enter" is CMA basic strategy 101.

EG9VGZ0.gif

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the above two clips, did you "knock on the door?" Yes or no? It's a subject that you brought up.
Yes!

1. hook punch (knock on the door) -> 2. downward parry -> 3. grab -> 4. pull

From 1 -> 2 is natural progress. From 2 -> 3 depends on whether your opponent resists or yields.

If your opponent

- resists (your arm contacts his arm), you change 2 -> 3 -> 4.
- yields (your arm doesn't contact his arm), you try another path (such as 2 -> 5 -> ...) , or another time (you won't enter this time).

Last edited:

marvin8

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes!

1. hook punch (knock on the door) -> 2. downward parry -> 3. grab -> 4. pull
Did you knock on the door (e.g., asking hand) or just enter?

Is your opponent double weighted when you enter?

Can your opponent move his arm and punch you like below, when you step and grab him?

EG9VGZ0.gif

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1. Did you knock on the door (e.g., asking hand) or just enter?

2. Is your opponent double weighted when you enter?

3. Can your opponent move his arm and punch you, when you step and grab him like below?
1. In 1 clip, steps 1 and 2 are not shown.
2. I don't care as long as I can pull my opponent into me, or my opponent can pull me into him.
3. I won't enter until I can grab/pull his leading arm. I need to have patient and only enter when I feel the opportunity is right.

You repeat the same process over and over until your arm can make contact on your opponent's arm.

enter_flow_chart.jpg

Last edited:

marvin8

Black Belt
Reaction score
2. I don't care as long as I can pull my opponent into me, or my opponent can pull me into him.
3. I won't enter until I can grab/pull his leading arm. I need to have patient and only enter when I feel the opportunity is right.

You repeat the same process over and over until your arm can make contact on your opponent's arm.
So then you believe "to knock on the door" is a bad strategy? That's what I meant by couch. Sometimes, I don't follow your logic.

If you only drill technique (e.g., kick, then grab arm) without "knock on the door," your opponent may punch you in the face or hurt you.

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

View attachment 30115
lpl almost looks like computer programming.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So then you believe "to knock on the door" is a bad strategy?
To knock on the door can be a

- kick to force your opponent to drop his arm.
- punch to open his guard.

How can you punch your opponent's face if his arms/hands is in your striking path? You have to guide your opponent's leading arm away from your entering path.

As I have explained, in this video, hook punch -> downward parry is to knock on the door.

Last edited:

marvin8

Black Belt
Reaction score
To knock on the door can be a

- kick to force your opponent to drop his arm.
- punch to open his guard.

How can you punch your opponent's face if his arms/hands is in your striking path? You have to guide your opponent's leading arm away from your entering path.

As I have explained, in this video, hook punch -> downward parry is to knock on the door.

You opponent is dead, not moving. You never knocked. Your opponent did not open the door, you just enter.

This does not follow your CMA basic strategy 101.

CMA classic, "It is said if the opponent does not move, then I do not move. At the opponent's slightest move, I move first."

EG9VGZ0.gif

Last edited:

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Old Chinese saying: It is useless to knock on the door if nobody's at home. :p

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
CMA classic, "It is said if the opponent does not move, then I do not move. At the opponent's slightest move, I move first."
CMA is dirty fighting. It will hit you when you are least able to defend. It throws strikes in your blind spot. It has eye pokes, organ and throat grabs and genital strikes. CMA went as far as to develop techniques for hitting people with a chair (bench).

The concept that you mention is a romanticized image of CMA that works better in the movies and in Martial Arts school who only want to teach students how to defend and not how to attack.

If anything, Classic CMA would say "See a brick, Use a Brick"

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I have agreed with you on occasion. I reply to your posts because you couch them in logic or binary fashion, whether I agree or not.

No. I don't and never said that, only your interpretation may be bad. I said to lure an opponent with an asking hand, then enter when the opponent is double weighted.

EG9VGZ0.gif
Your use of “double weighted” doesn’t make sense to me. I’m not saying it’s wrong - just trying to understand the term as you use it.

I learned that term as referring to having weight equal across both feet (hence “double weighted), which theoretically requires a weight shift to move in any direction. But you referred to a point before a foot is planted as being “double weighted”. What’s the “double” in that usage?

marvin8

Black Belt
Reaction score
The concept that you mention is a romanticized image of CMA that works better in the movies and in Martial Arts school who only want to teach students how to defend and not how to attack.

If anything, Classic CMA would say "See a brick, Use a Brick"
"If the opponent does not move, then I do not move. At the opponent’s slightest move, I move first." — Wu Yu-hsiang

"If the opponent does not move, then I do not make a committed move (e.g., I start in an offset position). As the opponent double weights, I move with them." — marvin8

Latest Discussions