DF: Why do teachers post education?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Why do teachers post education?
By Laura - 09-01-2008 09:22 AM
Originally Posted at: Deluxe Forums

====================

I was just looking at a school today and it occured to me that this person lists his Ph.D. as a credential on his website. Maybe it's just me, but what has this got to do with your skill as a teacher of martial art? Why should anyone care if you have a Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering? What has that got to do with anything? I'd rather learn from a skilled teacher who works as a janitor than someone that wants to tell me about their education. Why do people do this when advertising their school?

It's like hearing from tutors that say "Native French speaker available for tutoring. $80 an hour, Harvard graduate and honor roll student in economics." That's lovely but unless your major is French, what gives you the right to charge $80 an hour for lessons in a subject that you don't have an academic background in? I have two advanced degrees in English and I'm certified to teach English as a foreign language - so shouldn't I have more the right if I'm teaching English? Not not only am I a native speaker, but I went to school for it too. Yet, if I'm opening a school of martial arts, why would I mention my M.Ed. since it has nothing to do with Chinese martial arts...has anyone else noticed this baffling trend in martial art schools?

Read More...

------------------------------------
Defend.net Post Bot - CMA Feed

kittybreed

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've seen this trend and wondered about it too. I have a M.Ed and probably wouldn't mention it unless it had to do with teaching experience. My grandmaster mentioned his but his major was physical education. He didn't have it when I started training with him though.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A M.ED might suggest that the person has the knowledge and possibility to transmit what he has learned back to his students in an educated, or ordered way. It might suggest that the person is experienced in teaching and may be able to understand the problems students have in any learning situation.
However it dose not say that they have mastered the art they are teaching or are proficient in teaching it

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Both my Sanda sifu and my Taiji sifu have MDs but neither even mentions it at all. But then neither advertizes at all either and it is not really directly related to thier CMA. However my first sifu use to and still does advertize his MS in PE from a University in China but then it is directly applicable to what he teaches.

oxy

Blue Belt
Reaction score

====================
Why should anyone care if you have a Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering? What has that got to do with anything?

I don't know. Maybe a good understanding of mechanics has some bearing in martial arts?

It seems like the term "physics" and "mechanics" has become buzzwords making the rounds in martial arts circles in order to make certain martial arts seem "scientific", which in reality, only means that the instructor can make things sound technical.

Of course, the matter of WHERE that PhD comes from is more important, I think. If it comes from a diploma mill (which seems to be quite common in the US), then it does say a lot.

In the end, making a negative judgement based purely on advertising technique and not the content of the advertisement is a manifestation of the same irrational and illogical behaviour that makes one make a positive judgement pased purely on advertising technique and not the content.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Having a background and studies in another field can help instruct better, in some cases. But, it doesn't guarantee it.

For example, one of my academic degrees is a Bachelor of Science with a major emphasis on engineering and mathematics. Most of my students are adults that have college degrees themselves. I've found that my background has helped me explain some techniques better to a few of my programmer and engineering students. The "light" seems to go on at times when I explain the technique on a dry-erase board as a mathematical/physics equation and diagram. It's just a "language" that these students can quickly relate to.

I also think that many people in the public tend to think of martial arts training as a children's activity or an activity for adults that get their self-worth from being tough or something. Showing people that the instructor has the patience and "grooming" of higher education and "civilized" interests outside of martial arts can attract more adults that would normally shy away from training as adults. It doesn't necessarily make an instructor into a better instructor. But, it can help attract certain types of people that would normally just let the kids enroll.

R. McLain

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

====================
I was just looking at a school today and it occured to me that this person lists his Ph.D. as a credential on his website. Maybe it's just me, but what has this got to do with your skill as a teacher of martial art? Why should anyone care...
Read More...
------------------------------------
Defend.net Post Bot - CMA Feed

I don't know. Some folks might look at a PhD. as a sign of learning, or intelligence. If people ask me about my background, I'm happy to tell them...it's a window into who I am. But it does seem odd to list it on your MA website. On the other hand, I know of more than one well known master who do this kind of thing...without really having the degree. Ironically, their martial arts are top notch, but at some deep level they must feel insecure about their education. So they adopt titles like "doctor" , "professor" and the like. I personally know of one who even got a phony PhD. degree from a diploma mill and rented an elaborate academic gown so he could put pictures of himself as a "Doctor of Philosophy in Philosophy" ?!? in his martial arts books.

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of schools that list MS or PhD's in Psychology on their sites because it is somehow entwined with their methods of teaching children and adults.

It might not have anything to do with how skilled they are as martial artists, but it says something about them none the less.

Like anything, if they are trying too hard to get your $$, there's probbly a reason for it. Soemthing just isn't selling itself.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see no problem in listing educational backround in an instructors profile or bio. If extra attention is called to it I do think it should make sense as to why it's highlighted. But I like to know my instructors backround.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In the United States, a curriculum vitae is used primarily when applyingfor academic, education, scientific or research positions. It is also applicable when applying for fellowships or grants.

It is part of who you are and shows you have the "dedication" and toughness to go through the academic rigor to get a degree.
While old time GM's, etc. didn't have 'em, it's nice to know the type of person now a days who runs a school, etc. and this posting allows you a peek at that.

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hmmmm....my Masters in Finance and undergraduate in International Economics of course allows me to be a professor in the economics of movement whereby my demand curve is affected by the supply of techniques coming my way. Of course, one must always be aware of the various liquidity ratios, as footwork is very important when operating in a hostile environment, whether it be financial or martial.

To wit, of my three masters, my White Crane/Yang tai chi master, Jeff Bolt, has a teacher Yang Jwing Ming who uses the Dr. salutation to signify his accomplishments as a PHd in Physics and Masters in Engineering. Until Sifu stopped him, Dr. Yang would inevitably relate all chi or movement to either kinetic energy, Ohm's Law, or objects in motion. Great analogy, unless like me you were a Finance and Economics major....LOL!!!

On the other hand, you had Professor Toru Tanaka, a karate adept an fair actor in alot of b martial arts movies, mostly with Chuck Norris, etc. I doubt his title was due to educational prowess.

In Chinese martial arts from the mainland, you will sometimes see a Professor title to connote someone from the Beijing wushu team or other art who went on to get a degree (s) in physical ed, kinetics, martial arts, etc. at Beijing University or somewhere else, or someone who is a master in martial arts but also an Eastern medicine doctor....as an example, Dr. Cheng de Wu, husband of Madame Wong Ju Rong, and senior student of her father Wong Ju Ping, is a doctor of Eastern medicine and professor emeritus of Beijing University Institute of Eastern Med and Acupuncture.

Just some examples, some legit and some not, where it can become commingled.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Charles Kalani served ten years with the US Army and attained the rank of sergeant.
He was a former 3 time WWF (now WWE) champion winning tag team championships in 1969, 1972, 1973, 1975 and 1977 with a variety of partners, including Mr. Fuji, Dr. Hiro Ota, Mitsu Arakawa and Assasin #2.
"Professor" Toru Tanaka passed away in August, 2000 from heart failure.
He was a presence one could not ingore.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I asked that same question once... so what if the guy has a PhD at the end of his name... the reply was... YOU go through everything it takes to get a PhD and then ask why.

Good point.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I see no problem in listing educational backround in an instructors profile or bio. If extra attention is called to it I do think it should make sense as to why it's highlighted. But I like to know my instructors backround.

I agree totally. Though I would never train or not train with someone based on only their education or lack of educational experience. It does in the end come down to their skill sets and ability to transfer those skill sets.
icon6.gif

Now for listing an educational degree well in my case my background is a criminal justice BA and a graduate of a certified Michigan police academy. This has in the past helped me to convey certain things while teaching personal protection skills. Some insights into certain areas that might just help someone if they every have to defend themselves or their loved ones. That is why I list it. :idunno: Plus I want people to know my background so that they have a frame of reference.
icon6.gif

tae-kwon-tad

White Belt
Reaction score
Dr. Yang Jwing Ming of the YMAA has a PHD in physics...which really does make sense to me. What is martial arts but applying physics to your body in a way to make you better faster and stronger?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I asked that same question once... so what if the guy has a PhD at the end of his name... the reply was... YOU go through everything it takes to get a PhD and then ask why.

Good point.

Damn! With an attutude like that, just be glad that he didn't post "PgV" (Prison gang-rape Victim) after his name!

Latest Discussions