DF: Filipinos Never Back Up.

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Filipinos Never Back Up.
By MasterKaliSilat - Mon, 05 Mar 2007 13:53:22 GMT
Originally Posted at: Deluxe Forums

====================

The Filipino never backs up. Since 1972 when I met my Filipino teacher up to now and iIn recent years I've seen a new development of Kali Silat practiced in many schools in Germany, Italy, Sweden and across the United States. One thing I've begun to notice is that the fighting we see has become more like tag. With full body pads, headgear, hand pads, shin guards and more.

In referring over a hundred bouts in the Philippines in Bacolod 1996 I noticed too that the women were the tougher fighters then most Caucasian men I've seen in America. But in Kali Silat was never meant as a fighting skill. We don't believe in fighting, we believe in finishing. This is after all finishing school, by the time you get to Kali Silat from having studied what arts were propagated in America. Finishing is your goal, it's ridicules to allow anyone to continue to try and hit you and as I've said the Filipino never backs up, he or she will take the hit to stop you. But in recent years I've seen a new development of Kali Silat practiced in many schools in Germany, Italy, Sweden and across the United States. One thing I've begun to notice is that the fighting we see has become more like tag. With full body pads, headgear, hand pads, shin guards and more.

In referring over a hundred bouts in the Philippines in Bacolod 1996 the women were the tough fighters, but in Kali we don't believe in fighting, we believe in finishing. This is after all finishing school, by the time you get to Kali Silat, that's your goal. Just like in the street, we don't fight we finish.

Recently a new student at Hybrid Academy in Virginia Beach, came to us with already eight years in practice of his indigenous art and this Filipino was backing up as I approached to control his weapon, in practice. In the fighting in the Philippines I never witnessed any Filipino backing up and I told him so.

Yet in America we have forgotten that there was never any fighting in the Philippines with sticks, especially during WWII. The Filipino ran at you with blade in hand, and even shooting him was not enough, he would take the shot and be proud to die to protect his people and kill the enemy before he fell. This is the culture and way of life of the true Filipino. That is the true Kali Silat, that even the .45 caliber pistol was issued because you had to knock him down, it wasn't enough to shoot him, he was there to survive, to protect his people no matter what!

In this art you learned the drills to penetrate the space of your opponent, to avoid his weapon by use of control, to finish him without backing up. It's not fighting, it's finishing. Hold your ground, protect yourself, this is the purpose of using Kali Silat as the skill that is derived from the many years of practice, it's not easy. But my teachers never said it was easy. Getting the skills is what drills are, we strive for growth in practice to make the art your. Kali Silat unlike other martial arts does not build followers, it builds leaders. And, "If it saves your life just once, how much is it worth?" Suryadi Jafri, RIP, circa 1977. So don't forget that it's not easy.

In class we fight without gear, with control to help and share the skill to grow. This is the art and science of Kali Silat, we don't aim for the head, we don't aim for the hand or joints of the body in class, but guess what they get hit, not with full power, but when you go home, you feel the pain. In the heat of battle it's the effort you use, you feel nothing, until it's over. This is the real art and science that the Filipino brought to America, not a game of tag, and especially not running away to avoid the hit. The Filipino never attacks first, but he/she sure tries to hit first when you attack. Protecting yourself, your family, your culture, your people is the art of Kali Silat of the true Filipino.

Recently I was happy to meet a real Filipino that came to class this past Saturday the 3rd of March, although frustrated by me, during our short time together, I was sure when he was leaving that he was sure he found again the real Kali Silat in America. Now a new student at Hybrid Academy in Virginia Beach he came to Hybrid with eight years in practice of his indigenous art but this Filipino was backing up as I approached to control his weapon, and proceed to finish. In the fighting in the Philippines I told him I never witnessed any Filipino backing up. They practice intensely, live wisely, and above all, protect themselves. Master Ocampo said the same thing, when he met in in 1995, he too was doing the drills, but didn't know why. This was the key that Tuhon Gaje, Jr., shared with me as did Jafri, and the Canetes of Cebu in the early days in 1977 when I informed them of the anticipated growth of Kali Silat in America, and I've never forgotten it. Just like in the street, we don't back up.

In America we have forgotten that there was never any fighting in the Philippines, especially during WWII. The Filipino ran at you with blade in hand, and even shooting him was not enough, he would take the shot and be proud to die to protect his people and kill the enemy before he fell. This is the culture and way of life of the true Filipino. That is the true Kali Silat, that even the .45 caliber pistol was issued because you had to knock him down, it wasn't enough to shoot him, he was there to survive, to protect his people no matter what!

In this art you learned the drills to penetrate the space of your opponent, to avoid his weapon by use of control, to finish him without backing up. It's not fighting, it's finishing. Hold your ground, protect yourself, this is the purpose of using Kali Silat as the skill that is derived from the many years of practice, it's not easy. But my teachers never said it was easy. Getting skills is what we strive for, practice, make the art your. Kali Silat unlike other martial arts does not build followers, it builds leaders. And, "If it saves your life just once, how much is it worth?" Suryadi Jafri, RIP, circa 1977. No one said it would be easy.

In class we fight without gear, with control to help and share the skill to grow. This is the art and science of Kali Silat, we don't aim for the head, we don't aim for the hand or joints of the body in class, but guess what? They get hit, not with full power, but when you go home, you feel the pain. In the heat of battle it's the effort you use, you feel nothing, until it's over. This is the real art and science that the Filipino brought to America, not a game of tag, and especially not running away to avoid being hit. The Filipino never attacks first, but he/she sure tries to hit first when you attack. Protecting yourself, your family, your culture, your people is the art of Kali Silat of the Filipino.

Recently I was happy to meet a real Filipino that came to class this past Saturday the 3rd of March, although frustrated by me, during our short time together, I was sure when he was leaving that he was sure he found again the real Kali Silat in America. Practice intensely, live wisely, and above all, protect yourself. This was the key that Tuhon Gaje, Jr., shared with me as did Suryadi Jafri, and the Canetes of Cebu in the early days of the growth of Kali Silat in America, and I've never forgotten it.

My purpose is to remind those that practice Kali Silat in America that backing up is never an option in battle, you will die for sure.

Read More...

------------------------------------
Defend.net Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions