FMAT: Question regarding difference in abenico in kombaton and MA

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Question regarding difference in abenico in kombaton and MA
By garland - Wed, 07 Mar 2007 18:47:44 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Last night we were working tapi-tapi with Ralph, a high level student of Duane's (my former instructor) and he mentioned the difference between abenico in Kombaton versus abenico in Modern Arnis.

Specifically he stated that Remy used to like setting up off like a number one strike and flowing around when they blocked it with a force hit into an abenico strike. Alternatively he said Ernesto liked to do it a different way. It's difficult to describe without pictures so I'll do my best:

Basically you stand feet together, left hand on your right bicep, your right arm in a ninety degree angle out from your body so it goes out and then up (your hand should be level with your eyes). Then you fan the strike from there. Ralph did not know what precipitated the difference. My only guess would be:

Perhaps Ernesto's method is more a way of ensuring you learn the movement in the classical sense versus Remy's being a more 'battle tested' version? That's the best I can figure. Logically I think I'd go with Remy's version of the maneuver because it makes more sense to me, however many of the drills regarding abenico that I learned recently use the 'Ernesto-version' of abenico.

Thoughts?

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions