Developing Explosive Entry Footwork

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Been a while since I posted here. Hope everyone is doing okay.

Lately I have been trying to work on developing my footwork, especially entering. I've been looking around for some good exercises to help with this, but most of the videos/etc. that I see are geared toward general footwork. I'm looking for the specific ability to close distance in the blink of an eye.

Jason Van Veldheuysen from Precision Striking is a huge proponent of using burpees to help with this, but I believe variety really is the spice of life. I need to have more than just one exercise to develop this, or else I will get bored in no time.

I'll be browsing the forums looking for other threads on this topic, but in the meantime I thought I'd start a discussion of my own. :)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Plyometrics in general should help. I posted a thread a bit ago asking about them, ill see if i can find it. Outside of that, get a bob or a bag or something, and just practice entering combinations over and over. Youll naturally build up the muscles needed and get better at them.
Edit: so apparently a bit ago means 3 years to me...anyway here's the thread.Plyometrics

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Distracting your opponent with a strike while you move in can make you seem faster, such as a backfist, to trap, to straightblast. Attacking at angles can really help. Wrestlers are beasts at explosive footwork because of their takedowns, and boxers can close fast when they move in on their jab. I have a long reach, so I always tried to develop an explosive jab that could cover distance quickly by pushing off my planted leg.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm looking for the specific ability to close distance in the blink of an eye.
I like to use "running punch" to train my footwork. I'll coordinate 1 forward step with 1 punch (either jab/cross or hook). When I run fast, I'll punch fast. When I run slow, I'll punch slow.

I like to use the term "charge in like a mad man". If I can do that, I can destroy my opponent's confidence.

Here is a good example. If your opponent uses

- boxing guard (his center is exposed), you uses jab, cross, jab, cross, jab, cross, jab, cross (at least 8 punches).
- CMA or Karate guard (his sides are exposed), you uses right hook, left hook, right hook, left hook, right hook, left hook, right hook, left hook (at least 8 punches).

Last edited:

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Work on your timing. Trying to enter at the right time can make you much faster in the eyes of your opponent. Entering at the wrong time can make you much slower to your opponent.

Also, work on your non-entering movement as well. You can use this movement to set him up. If you can get him to lunge in with a haymaker, when you are ready, you can close by simply getting under it... to your opponent, it will seem that you are lightening fast.

You can also use you movement to close distance without your opponent realizing it. If you are closer to him than he realizes, then your entry will be that much faster.

Getting a "explosive" entry, is about more than just how fast you can explode forward. Do it at the right time, from the right angle, when he thinks you are further away, and when he is committed in the wrong direction... he won't even see you coming.

I am not saying that you don't need to do those other exercises mentioned... they will help. But, work on all the parts of the problem.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Wind Sprints. (both upright and starting crouched)

Suicides. (staying upright or crouching while making a hard turn)

Drilling the entry technique up and down the room with intensity. Blast forward with your entry technique, reset, repeat. Blast across the room a few feet at a time.

I have used all of these in my training and these types of exercises have helped me.

spidersam

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agree with most of the above. But you’re not going to be able to explode fast if you’re not physically fit to do so. Definitely do sprints. I also recommend box jumps. Box jumps should be intensive. Don’t do fifteen at a slow pace. Do ten at a fast and intensive pace and then break. You have to train your body to pounce.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Lately I have been trying to work on developing my footwork, especially entering. I've been looking around for some good exercises to help with this, but most of the videos/etc. that I see are geared toward general footwork. I'm looking for the specific ability to close distance in the blink of an eye.

Jason Van Veldheuysen from Precision Striking is a huge proponent of using burpees to help with this, but I believe variety really is the spice of life. I need to have more than just one exercise to develop this, or else I will get bored in no time.

I'll be browsing the forums looking for other threads on this topic, but in the meantime I thought I'd start a discussion of my own. :)
well you dont want explosive footwork, you want footwork powered by explosive muscle and practise of fast movement, I'm not sure how burpees, help that ? excellent exercise that it is, as it doesn't really help the leg muscle get power, but it does admittedly help with fast movement in your muscles, so half way there especially if you want to get up quickly to punch someone

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
you're a WC guy, so a few things specific to what we do might help.

Don't try to cover a huge distance, rather a short distance. You want to be just outside of his longest weapon, generally a side kick.
At this outside position, don't try to cover the distance, you're too far away and are attacking a fortified position.
Wait for him to make his first step to get close enough to attack, then explode in, intercepting his attack before it has had a chance to fully develop.

Another tip,again specific to WT, is to remember "hands move before the feet".
Let your punch pull your step in as if there was a cord connecting your fist to your foot.

Here is a video of Emin explaining it, he's the one who taught me

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
you're a WC guy, so a few things specific to what we do might help.

Don't try to cover a huge distance, rather a short distance. You want to be just outside of his longest weapon, generally a side kick.
At this outside position, don't try to cover the distance, you're too far away and are attacking a fortified position.
Wait for him to make his first step to get close enough to attack, then explode in, intercepting his attack before it has had a chance to fully develop.

Another tip,again specific to WT, is to remember "hands move before the feet".
Let your punch pull your step in as if there was a cord connecting your fist to your foot.

Here is a video of Emin explaining it, he's the one who taught me

For certain, intercepting is a very important tactic in wc as described. How to develop the explosiveness can be helped with several exercises along with understanding the technique and the timing to apply it.

Hands before feet is not specific to wc.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
you dont need someone to play against and you could improvise with a wall , dont they have squash courts in America?
Handball and racketball (which are similar) more so than squash but not every where.
None in my area. There have been in the past but presently none.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It may be difficult to move in as showing at 2.55. The window is too small.

If should be easier to move in as:

- Your opponent kicks you.
- You move your leading leg back to create extra distance.
- Wait for his kicking leg to be fully extended.
- You then block and pull his kicking leg into you.
- Borrow the counter force, and
- Move in.

In other words, you wait for your opponent's kick to be fully extended. When he tries to pull his leg back, you move in at that moment. It's much safer this way.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well you dont want explosive footwork, you want footwork powered by explosive muscle and practise of fast movement, I'm not sure how burpees, help that ? excellent exercise that it is, as it doesn't really help the leg muscle get power, but it does admittedly help with fast movement in your muscles, so half way there especially if you want to get up quickly to punch someone

Do the travel version. Shove a broad jump in there.

Last edited:

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There's a shuffle step. You lift lead foot slightly and push off/shuffle rear foot (like sliding hockey puck with rear foot) forward to gain short but meaningful distance. It's traditionally done as part of the shuffle-kick but can be used to clear lead hand distance quickly to setup for closer range cross. Very minimal tell especially if lead hand is already out guarding upper gates.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Welcome back, bro. :)

Plyo and strong core are spot on. As for the footwork itself, I recommend moving the front foot backwards as your initial explosive movement forward.

With practice you can develop your entry so fast you'll be on top of them before they realize it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome back, bro. :)

Plyo and strong core are spot on. As for the footwork itself, I recommend moving the front foot backwards as your initial explosive movement forward.

With practice you can develop your entry so fast you'll be on top of them before they realize it.
Do you mean landing with the front foot, then launching, as a way of energy generation/tricking them on distance, or lettting your front foot fall back as you go forwards, 'falling' into the entry?

Latest Discussions