Detroit Veteran's Day Parade 2010 Photos

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As usual, there were thousands of parade participants, but only a few hundred spectators. I always get sad and dejected that people can't rouse themselves to wave a flag for a few minutes once a year for veterans, but I guess I'll have to get used to it. Anyway, I took a lot of photos, here they are:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wigwam/sets/72157625217338015/

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wish they did a little more advertising and better co-ordination within the local community. Alot of us hear about it through the military, but outside of the base, not much is mentioned. Veterans day is Thursday, yet some places do the parade on a monday, or anyother day that is a standard work day for many.

I cant speak for detriot but here in Philly/jersey I have heard very little mentioned on the TV about parades and events for the VETs.

Standardize the event on the actual DAY or the Saturday before or after so that people become aware of each year its "THIS" day.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I cant speak for detriot but here in Philly/jersey I have heard very little mentioned on the TV about parades and events for the VETs.

I have been attending the Veteran's Day Parade in Detroit for the past three years; I'm credentialed by them as a media rep (photographer). I can tell you that they *DO* notify the news organizations and issue press releases to everyone they can think of - they just get ignored. The day of the parade, people come up to me and ask "Where is the news? Where are the TV cameras? Where are the media people?" And I can't answer them. I know I personally contacted many news organizations, including the two major local newspapers, the local county newspaper, and several radio stations. I got NO REPLY from all except the local county paper, and THEY published the WRONG DAY for the parade!

Frankly, I have to conclude that the media hates veterans and is not interested in covering the event or even publicizing the parade as a public service. It's sickening.

I looked on Google News this morning, and there are several news stories that were published AFTER the parade. Nothing about the parade ahead of time, though.

Latest Discussions