Democratic or Dictatorship

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In your school do you run it as a Dictatorship or do you have input from other people. Is it do as I say or do you compomise to make people happy, do you test just to make parents happy how about sparring do you put against weaker opponits just to make them look better to give a false sense of securitys. Was talking to a friend in California and he was saying that his Old instructor is changing evevrything from a do as I say to let get together and make alottments on certain people, who is paying the bills. What is your take on this matter. Please any comment either from a parent or school owner or Instructors both sides and please keep to the topic, really looking for the input for him. Thanks

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
In your school do you run it as a Dictatorship or do you have input from other people. Is it do as I say or do you compomise to make people happy, do you test just to make parents happy how about sparring do you put against weaker opponits just to make them look better to give a false sense of securitys. Was talking to a friend in California and he was saying that his Old instructor is changing evevrything from a do as I say to let get together and make alottments on certain people, who is paying the bills. What is your take on this matter. Please any comment either from a parent or school owner or Instructors both sides and please keep to the topic, really looking for the input for him. Thanks

1) My school is run by a dictator. I've given up getting my ideas into work. I said a community ed class would be a good way to get in new people and after three years he tried it as his idea. I asked for a women's class for two years, got a family class and now the women's class is practically non-existent. I organized the office-equipment into labeled bins at my expense and trophy parts into bins, etc.--its was a mess soon after. (I contributed numerous other stuff and energy too) I wanted a cardio class, no time available for it. I wanted a black belt class-only scheduled after or during a testing on one Sat., I had tournament scoring ideas that weren't paid any attention. I thought birthday parties would be a great idea but why bother on deaf ears. I told him his Christian after Christmas party centered on him only asking bible questions (for 8 yrs.) was not fun but more like a bible study and it excluded other faiths. He never asks the black belts, never calls a meeting, we just get a new edict like mandatory tournaments, or re-certification tests for bb's.

2) Sparring, yes and no about the weaker opponents. For the last black belt test, I sparred a guy, 6'2" built like a mack truck. Another black belt sparred a blue belt woman who was also testing and was the blue belt's second, third and fourth bout. Weaker people get weak opponents, stronger-harder opponents. Not exactly equal, there should be some sort of standard.

I noticed that favors or allowances are given for people who give the most support or family members or have potential to give, like new black belts who can take a class to teach, like a huge new contingent of white belts became the priority, or families that join. His wife is being fast-laned to be a black belt just like others have been. I haven't seen her but twice in class in the last year but she is testing for bb in Dec. (he's the only judge) And some instructors are given discounts on equipment, discounts on tournaments and on tuition which I never saw for my family when I taught and they were active.

I think it is a big error to think most people don't see uneven practices on the part of the instructor because they do. I've had many people come up to me and comment. TW

calmone

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Dictatorship,
We have 3 schools in 3 different cities. We all test together and there would be no structure if we compromised to appease people. As far as sparring we have everyone spar everyone the more advanced fighters help teach the others. They are not sparring weaker opponents for the victory we do it to help train the weaker opponent. How can you advance if you arent challenged

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am the instructor, it is my class, my curriculum, my reputation on the line.

However, I do inquire at tests what the student likes best about classes (I don't use the word "hate"...you just like something less). I also seek input from my black belts as to their perceptions of how students are receiving information/training-that is part of the black belt's training, especially if they desire to be an instructor.

Miles

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I suppose you could say our class is a dictatorship with the occassional referendum. Our instructor asks for input every so often from the upper ranks. Also, at colored belt testings, he's been known to confer with the black belts present about what we see from those testing. But I think that's really more to get us thinking about judging them, rather than actually needing our input.

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
1) My school is run by a dictator. I've given up getting my ideas into work. I said a community ed class would be a good way to get in new people and after three years he tried it as his idea. I asked for a women's class for two years, got a family class and now the women's class is practically non-existent. I organized the office-equipment into labeled bins at my expense and trophy parts into bins, etc.--its was a mess soon after. (I contributed numerous other stuff and energy too) I wanted a cardio class, no time available for it. I wanted a black belt class-only scheduled after or during a testing on one Sat., I had tournament scoring ideas that weren't paid any attention. I thought birthday parties would be a great idea but why bother on deaf ears. I told him his Christian after Christmas party centered on him only asking bible questions (for 8 yrs.) was not fun but more like a bible study and it excluded other faiths. He never asks the black belts, never calls a meeting, we just get a new edict like mandatory tournaments, or re-certification tests for bb's.

2) Sparring, yes and no about the weaker opponents. For the last black belt test, I sparred a guy, 6'2" built like a mack truck. Another black belt sparred a blue belt woman who was also testing and was the blue belt's second, third and fourth bout. Weaker people get weak opponents, stronger-harder opponents. Not exactly equal, there should be some sort of standard.

I noticed that favors or allowances are given for people who give the most support or family members or have potential to give, like new black belts who can take a class to teach, like a huge new contingent of white belts became the priority, or families that join. His wife is being fast-laned to be a black belt just like others have been. I haven't seen her but twice in class in the last year but she is testing for bb in Dec. (he's the only judge) And some instructors are given discounts on equipment, discounts on tournaments and on tuition which I never saw for my family when I taught and they were active.

I think it is a big error to think most people don't see uneven practices on the part of the instructor because they do. I've had many people come up to me and comment. TW
At black belt, especially if you help with the school, you should have a voice in thing's, or at least an acknowledge of you'r contributions. If you'r instructor still treat's you like a guppie, or worse, and irritant, then he has some problem's!!! Mithios

D

Disco

TW, there are two elements that have a bearing on what is going on at your school. As was pointed out, it is his school and his reputation. This is also a double edged sword. As you stated, favoritism for profit has reared it's ugly head. This unto itself can bestow a negative impact on the school. Putting the wife in the BB fast lane is another strike, people do see this for what it is. Another problem is fast approaching though. When she gets her BB, she will undoubtedly flex her positioning, causing friction. You will see people leaving. As for your ideas in attempting to be helpful, there could be several reasons why he dosen't want to listen, wife included, but just put it under the cover heading of machoism for now. You really have only two choices for now. 1) Forget about (as well intentioned as it may be) in trying to offer help or idea's and just train for yourself or 2) Find another school. You may want to give serious thought to number 2 and beat the exodus that will be coming.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not an instructor, but at the school I go to, it seems to be a combination - the school owners and other instructors will listen to students, and, I think, sometimes take a suggestion, but it is always tempered with their own opinion/experience.

It works well, I think. :)

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:

TW I feel for you know that, someone should video tape what he is doing and show him. Terry

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We exist in a constant state of Mutany
piratesmile.gif

:D

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our organization used to be a dictatorship. Our Grandmaster did things along a certain line and that was it. However, with age and having high ranking students of his own, it has become more of a democracy. He lets each Instructor (4th Dan+) run their classes as they want, as long as they stay within certain guidelines.
With most of our Instructors, if one of their students comes to them with an idea (black belt class, women's class, demo idea etc.), and the idea appears to have merit. It will be considered. Especially if the person having the idea is felt to be qualified in pursuing it. If a female black belt is interested in having a women-only class, many of our Instructors would urge them to begin the process and serve as an Instructor.
Additionally, our GM will ask for ideas and input from the Master Instructors regarding direction for the organization and tournament ideas.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
Our organization used to be a dictatorship. Our Grandmaster did things along a certain line and that was it. However, with age and having high ranking students of his own, it has become more of a democracy. He lets each Instructor (4th Dan+) run their classes as they want, as long as they stay within certain guidelines.
With most of our Instructors, if one of their students comes to them with an idea (black belt class, women's class, demo idea etc.), and the idea appears to have merit. It will be considered. Especially if the person having the idea is felt to be qualified in pursuing it. If a female black belt is interested in having a women-only class, many of our Instructors would urge them to begin the process and serve as an Instructor.
Additionally, our GM will ask for ideas and input from the Master Instructors regarding direction for the organization and tournament ideas.
Michigan TKD i believe this is the way most Dojaangs are run after a while they seem to find there niche and go from there. Thanks Terry

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm curious as to whether for those who've responded to this thread and indicated your instructor has solicited or listened to others' suggestions.

Do(es) your school(s) have a set curriculum, and if so, are the suggestions how to introduce the techniques/concepts or are the suggestions on adding new techniques/concepts.
Miles

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miles said:
I'm curious as to whether for those who've responded to this thread and indicated your instructor has solicited or listened to others' suggestions.

Do(es) your school(s) have a set curriculum, and if so, are the suggestions how to introduce the techniques/concepts or are the suggestions on adding new techniques/concepts.
Miles

I guess that doesn't apply to me as no suggestions seem to be acknowledged. My school doesn't have a set curriculum just a set test. He just sort looks at us and plans by who shows up or what he feels like. Like today six black belts were at noon class and two yellow belts guys. We had a hard jumping paddle line workout. The two yellow belt guys were dying but held on.

My suggestions weren't about techniques although I asked about adding more self defense. He/our master doesn't want it too complicated-wants 30 some techniques and thats it. I try to introduce technique how he teaches. what helped me, and what I observed from others learning. TW

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
I am not an instructor, but at the school I go to, it seems to be a combination - the school owners and other instructors will listen to students, and, I think, sometimes take a suggestion, but it is always tempered with their own opinion/experience.

It works well, I think. :)

Glad to hear that.

Really sorry to hear about your experiences, TW.

Regards,

Steve

X

XxTKDPenguinxX

Our school is a combination... depending on what it is. As far as cirriculum douring class time... dictatorship.. I run my classes as such. I am classified as one of the more "firm" instructors. I am the only instructor with a military background and it shows in my warm-ups :whip:.

However, all instructors gather weekly, along with the head instructor/owner and we discuss, openly, ideas and cirriculum. My way of thinking is more traditional. I am "old school" in the way I feel things should be ran. Since I am only an instructor and not the owner, I must step aside on some matters to allow the popular vote to win (usually the owner's last say on the matter :)).
We will also, from time to time, place surveys out for clients to fill out. This gives them a chance to voice concerns (which usually is after class time if there is any) and will allow for those who wish to remain "unknown" to stay that way.

Latest Discussions