Business

calmone

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am helping instruct classes at a independent Tae Kwon Do school in Missouri. We only charge $40 a month and we only charge immediate family members an extra $10. We have a class size of about 16 students. My question is does anyone have any idea on how to make a little extra money on the bldg. we are leasing without raising our class prices? I am in the process of trying to get more students, but since we have only been in this location for a year it is difficult to get people to come in. We are doing a non-profit school so we try to keep the cost down to the students.

OP
calmone

calmone

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, terryl1965
That is a pretty good idea. I am going to try that and if there are anymore ideas out there I am all ears.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, we also do community ed. classes. They advertise with a quarterly brochure with a myriad of community classes with a recreation section. We have a women's class, and a kid's class offered in that. For the women we call it kickboxing and its really a Taekwondo class without forms, breaking or sparring (and no advancement). Kids like breaking and sparring too. (still no advancement) Uniforms optional.

We have also done kickboxing classes open to men and women, mostly bag kicking. You can also do it with music (more fun) . Or you can do more combination moves in sets like 3-5 minutes of each.. Like front, round, side kick turn. Make it easy. And you can have different levels of difficulty too.

Also tournaments of course, to put one on though is a lot of work.

Or sell equipment as most do. TW

OP
calmone

calmone

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Tiger woman,
I help put on 2 tournaments a year already. They however dont help my school. We have everyone do bag work sparring and breaking in class. On this idea you have on the kickboxing class should we do more of an aerobic workout (not tae bo but something similiar)?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, do a more aerobic workout, less monotonous repetition. I think Tae-Bo is a little difficult for most. But you can do different punch combinations--rt. punch, lt. punch, hook, hook. Or jab, cross, uppercut, elbow strike. Moving back and forth across the floor. Step, step, knee strike. Make the techniques real and correct. Show them all how to do a proper kick and a proper fist etc. but definitely make it more fun. I used to cue them all and count and work out as the leader showing the moves. That is a lot of work. If you can get them started cueing then get them to count, that's better. That leaves you to walk around the room to see how everyone is doing. The music keeps them going. I also had to wear a microphone and cueing on that while trying also to breathe is not easy so its better to not do much workout with the class. Or forget the mic and just direct one at first then go with the music. TW

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have a "bring a buddy" day/evening. If the "buddy" signs up, let the student have some "TKD bucks" to purchase equipment from the school. Everyone wins!

Miles

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Good ideas from Terry, TW and Miles. I have one idea, but I'm not sure if it's pheasible, or legal for you. You might try subleasing the building to other leisure-type classes when you're not using it. Dance, yoga, and children's gymnastics instructors need space too. Just a thought.

OP
calmone

calmone

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Zepp,
We tried that I think the town is too small no one wanted to use the bldg.
thanks for your help though

X

XxTKDPenguinxX

Being part of a school that has little money to do all they need for advertisement... I will tell you what can help, if you haven't tried them already.

Offer a buddy system... especially to the younger students. Have each one bring in a friend, or two, or three to take class with them for free... that buddy will get 30 days free. If they are at every possible class, and show the enthusiasm, you'll probably get'em to sign up. Talk with the buddy's parents... get a feel for what they're looking for.

B-Day parties are great. You supply the building, and a free class to all who attend. We usually get at least one new student after doing a party.]

Offer, every 3 months or so, a free self-defense class open to the pubic. BE specific though on each one. Child self-defense (ie. stranger danger) women self-defense (13-15 and up) or men's self-defense (though few men will probably show). Contact the local papers and tell them it is a community event. Chances are that they will post it in the newspaper for free.

And speaking of free advertisements.... every time you have a tournament.. take a picture of those who did well and send it into the paper. More often than not, it will be published. Don't forget to include names of those students and your school, of course.

If you have time, get involved with the local schools (not the other MA schools). This is a little more involved, but well worth it.
We typically contact the school's priciples and let them know we are interested in our students behavior, grades, etc. in class.
Doing this shows the parents that we care. Parents keep us aprised to grades and we have even made their report cards as part of testing requirements. This is to support that they must be mentally strong as well as know the physical aspects of martial arts.

Ask the partents what they would like to see. A questionare is always good feedback. Suggestion box, or the like, where annonymous questions or suggestions can be noted. They will feel more involved and you might even note a problem you didn't even know about. This my not directly get you more students but, it will retain the ones you have. Besides... it takes a thousand compliments to make your image shine but, only one bad one to tarnish it. A happy customer my not tell anyone about your school but, an unhappy customer will tell everybody about it... along with the problems "they" see... even if it isn't really a problem.

Last, and not least.... payments. Only you, or your staff, can help you here. It may sound bad... but, you have to be sure customers are current on dues. Some schools may not have this problem... some may. Either way, you can't afford to allow people to get instruction for no return on the investment.
We had a major problem with this in the past.. its a touchy area. If you flat out say that you can't come back until payment is rendered, you could lose them forever. We found that by bringing up the fact that you will not allow them to test for the next rank until payment is received, people have a tendancy to pay and still come to class.
They worked hard to get the next level. They want that next level. And once they get that next level, they want to learn all they can because its new material and they get excited about it and forget that you asked them for money.
No, its not fool proof. So, you have to be prepared to let a customer go because of payment. If they don't pay you, then you can't afford to keep teaching.

Well... that's my view on it. We have been fairly successful using this. It may all depend on location as well. At any rate.. I wish you the best of luck!

OP
calmone

calmone

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
To everyone that sent suggestions, I want to say thanks. We have implemented several of the suggestions and we appreciate it.

Carl