Defense from a wheelchair video

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a clip of Boston area gentleman who specializes in teaching self-defense to people that are at a high risk for abuse or violence. His name is Mr. Eric Kondo, he is father of three, and just happens to be paraplegic.

The techniques are all shown in pairs. The first segment of the pair shows an undefended attack. The second repeats the same attack, only with Mr. Kondo defending himself.

[yt]oUZ4-2uXvro[/yt]

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OOOPS. Sorry about that. I made a typo when embedding the link. Should work OK now. :eek:

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is good stuff. I've seen martial arts places claiming to teach those with handicaps such as the one shown, and I've seen some tachniques that look as if they would work ... but to have it taught by someone with the same circumstance, to KNOW it could work ... awesome.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Several years ago I knew a fella of some rank in Wing Chun who was paraplegic and confined in a wheel chair. He demonstrated many of the same techs as in the video. He also showed me (after hours of the seminar as we just sat and b.s. for a while about how he was able to pull out the arms of his chair and use them like one would a tonfa. He had them specially made so that the ends were weighed down. Purty neat little trick and a nasty surprise for anyone attempting to attack him.
I asked him what would be the likely hood of someone even being callous and low enough to try and attack him. He told me I'd be surprised how many would see him as an easy prey. We agreed that it was pretty sad that someone could even think of doing that.

He also told me that he was a CWP carrier. That he kept his glock 23 hidden under his "useless" legs. He didn't bring it with him as it was requested by the host(s) of the seminar for guests not to bring firearms. I'm guessing that someone attempting to attack my friend would definitely find themselves in a world of hurt.

Deservedly so. :asian:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great stuff, Carol - thanks for posting this. It sure takes care of some of my students' excuses....

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this video clip. How did you discover this?

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this video clip. How did you discover this?

One of my instructors has a blind student. I've been looking for local resources in the hope of finding some additional ideas for his teaching. :)

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That is totally cool of you....
icon14.gif

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is good stuff. I've seen martial arts places claiming to teach those with handicaps such as the one shown, and I've seen some tachniques that look as if they would work ... but to have it taught by someone with the same circumstance, to KNOW it could work ... awesome.

The Combat Hapkido Federation actually has a disabled person on staff...

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The few wheel chair confined people I have been fortunate to know all had very developed exceptional hand grip and arm strength. Not big biceps and such but very strong tendons and usable strength.

Thanks Carol nice find
Brian King

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was a great video, Carol! Another great idea for teaching the handicapped...

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
nice video...

Looks like it would hurt a lot if that was on concrete, and he were to fall on that...it may be a good thing he can't feel his legs

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Carol, the video and this thread is AWESOME! :asian:

- Ceicei

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
nice video...

Looks like it would hurt a lot if that was on concrete, and he were to fall on that...it may be a good thing he can't feel his legs

It probably would hurt a lot.

Mr. Kondo has saud tgat the reason why he did that particular video the way he did (focusing on clinch and ground work) was to not only show how a wheelchair bound person can defend themself, but to also illustrate how easy/likely it can be to be knocked out of one's chair during an attack.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of my instructors has a blind student. I've been looking for local resources in the hope of finding some additional ideas for his teaching. :)
Could we coax you into sharing anything else you might find? :) May be someone else out there who's teaching special needs students.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Could we coax you into sharing anything else you might find? :) May be someone else out there who's teaching special needs students.

Absolutely! I haven't found anything else yet, but I definitely will share when I fined something else worth sharing. :)

Latest Discussions