Decided to switch to Judo

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
I live in Dallas and started Kyokushin a few months ago but I have had interest in Judo for the past 6 years. Something about it really intrigues me. I see it as an awesome sport, great workout, beautiful techniques and a solid self defense system and terrific sport. I have a background in competitive MMA, Amatuer boxing and no gi BJJ competition. I’m going to be moving soon and I feel it’s hard to find a kyokushin school. Judo seems to be readily available everywhere at a cheap price with little to no Mcdojo cheeseburger smell. Also at 32 I have decided to go the TMA journey route. What can I expect from Judo when I start. I’m gonna start once I move. I’m either headed to the Phoenix area or back to Portland Oregon where I’m from. If anyone knows good instructors in those cities let me know. Also any other martial arts that go beautifully with Judo for crosstraining purposes later down the road advice would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Judo is excellent IMO. It is a sport, but it takes only a little know-how to turn it into a very hard self defence regime. A skilled judoka is hard to beat. Some judoka specialize a bit in foot-sweeps, a devastating device for competition or self defence.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also any other martial arts that go beautifully with Judo for crosstraining purposes later down the road advice would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks
Just so you know, after you've been doing judo for a while and are approaching or reach shodan or nidan, you might look around for a Tomiki-ryu Aikido school. You'll find it to be taught almost in exactly the same language you'll already have learned in judo, and the principles are all the same. Difference in emphasis on different things as the techniques are generally executed at a greater distance... but very easy on the body as compared to competition judo.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Judo is excellent IMO. It is a sport, but it takes only a little know-how to turn it into a very hard self defence regime. A skilled judoka is hard to beat. Some judoka specialize a bit in foot-sweeps, a devastating device for competition or self defence.

Just so you know, after you've been doing judo for a while and are approaching or reach shodan or nidan, you might look around for a Tomiki-ryu Aikido school. You'll find it to be taught almost in exactly the same language you'll already have learned in judo, and the principles are all the same. Difference in emphasis on different things as the techniques are generally executed at a greater distance... but very easy on the body as compared to competition judo.

Just an fyi, OP ended up deciding on sambo, not judo. This is an older post by him

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Or if in Portland you could join the Sosuishi ryu jujutsu/Kodokan Judo group there, as Sosuishi ryu incorporated some of Tomiki sensei's stuff way back when...

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or if in Portland you could join the Sosuishi ryu jujutsu/Kodokan Judo group there, as Sosuishi ryu incorporated some of Tomiki sensei's stuff way back when...
Nice... As my daughter has transmigrated our granddaughter to Portland, and if my wife ends up with her thought of at least having a vacation home other there... I may well end up doing just that.

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As a beginner in both arts I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Sensei Becker

White Belt
Reaction score
Kenji Tomiki Judo and Aikido turned into Aikijujutsu when mixed together.

Sensei Becker

White Belt
Reaction score
Judo is a complete grappling system and not just Newaza basics. Consider Japanese Jujutsu the real rounded martial artist instead of rolling around on the ground.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kenji Tomiki Judo and Aikido turned into Aikijujutsu when mixed together.

Judo is a complete grappling system and not just Newaza basics. Consider Japanese Jujutsu the real rounded martial artist instead of rolling around on the ground.

Sambo is Russians version of Judo.

Wow. It's not common to see such serial wrongness. I mean, most people manage to slip in at least one reasonably accurate unsupported assertion in from time to time.

Latest Discussions