Datu Hartman Video teaching in the Philippines 2009

graywolf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Nice flow..Where in the Philippines is that??????? Cordially,Howard

chris arena

Green Belt
Reaction score
My guys have been practicing those techniques for some time, but we never put them together in a flow drill form. It gives the Professor's technique a far better flow than the typical, put your stick out, grab, lock and so forth.
I will shamelessly copy this drill.

Thank you!!

Chris A

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
These techniques and the flow drill are a lot of fun! Very good teaching on the clip by the way!
icon6.gif

chris arena

Green Belt
Reaction score
This drill taught us a lot. Over the past two classes, we have worked this drill exclusively. Mind you, my students were fairly familiar with the individual applications. Once they got a hang of it. It was a no brainer!
I remember may years ago, the Professor, and even later his son, Remy Jr. doing the same drill. At the time it seemed to be like walking on water. However, time goes on, and as we get a bit more familiar with the concepts, these techniques cease to be so advanced and finaly just become commonplace.

Anyway. We all found that after learning this drill, we took it to our free form sumbrada play and found that it was much more easier to pull off these Tapi-Tapi techniques at will. The secret to me is the art of using the live hand to easily reach out and grab the base of your partners stick during fast free flow play. It became a lot easier for my students (and myself) to pull it off and either just hit the attackers live hand/arm with his own stick or, go whole hog and pull of a complete trap, or bind to strike.

Also, you mentioned the aspect of binding! I never thought of that as a seperate play. Now we can grab the stick, bind him the abandon our grab and just punch him (to his right chest for drill purposes, similar to Chi Sao practice). Then, taking that technique into free flow we added the punch to the opponent and then worked on how he could parry our punch and keep the free flow going.

Anyway, outside of a few sore fingers, wrists and some sizeable shoulder bruises from the punches I think we're having fun!

Thanks again.
Chris A

Latest Discussions