Dana White On Roy Nelson

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-c...-roy-nelson-tuf-premieres-205206140--mma.html

Considering there are no major MMA fights this weekend, it's been a full week of news. UFC 153 was completely rearranged, which is overshadowing the start of another season of "The Ultimate Fighter" on Friday nights.
Heavyweights Roy Nelson and Shane Carwin will coach this season, but word is that Nelson and UFC president Dana White battle more than Nelson and Carwin. White sat down with Yahoo! Sports and talked about his thoughts on Nelson.

"Everything that comes out of his mouth is just ... asinine. I'm worried that at the end of the season, people are going to want to see me fight Roy Nelson instead of Shane Carwin."
White also had choice comments on how Nelson's appearance affects his sponsorships. He said he advised Nelson to cut his mullet, shave his beard, and work on the belly Nelson has become known for.
"He focuses on all the wrong things. You know what I consider him? The ultimate underachiever. Come into my office and [expletive]. 'I want more sponsors.' Well, you got a mullet down to the middle of your back. You got a Santa Claus beard, and what pops out from underneath the beard is this huge, massive roll. What company wants to throw their logo on that?"
He wants to see Nelson take his career more seriously.
"Take your career serious. Maybe if you took your career serious, I would. The guy could be really good if he cared."

Thoughts? Do you think that he was a bit too harsh on Roy?

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of Roy Nelson, but this doesn't seem very professional to me. The last part may be true, but you go to the fighter with that, not the media.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Roy Nelson is a talented MORON!

He should listen to Dana White and stop complaining!

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dana White is right. Roy Nelson could be one of the top guys, but he needs to take it a little more seriously. Of course, Dana could have been a little more tactful, IMO. On the other hand, it is entertaining to watch this guy with a gut, bushy beard and mullet knocking guys out. That makes me root for him and laugh at the same time, so maybe there's an aspect to Nelson's image that's endearing?

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lovable loser! A loser non the less!

If he took things seriously he could be a champion!

I always want Big Country to win and he usually does...but it still begs the question? How good could he be?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lovable loser! A loser non the less!

If he took things seriously he could be a champion!

I always want Big Country to win and he usually does...but it still begs the question? How good could he be?

He could be a top guy. Dude has talent. Imagine if he had GSP work ethic.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Power...Chin...Heart....JDS said Roy was his toughest fight....

Love the guy as a fighter....WHAT COULD BE?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt White says a word that isn't calculated to make money.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I appreciate what Dana White has done for the Arts. But bottom line - he's a promoter, and somewhat of a dick at times (IMO).

I really like watching Big Country. Sure as hell wouldn't want to fight the man. As for the "what he could be", I reckon that could be said of us all.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt White says a word that isn't calculated to make money.
Exactly. What's this controversy done? Generated how much press and discussion for free...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I appreciate what Dana White has done for the Arts. But bottom line - he's a promoter, and somewhat of a dick at times (IMO).

I really like watching Big Country. Sure as hell wouldn't want to fight the man. As for the "what he could be", I reckon that could be said of us all.

Mahalo for the dose of humility.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't think that Roy is asking the question...what could he become..I would like to see what he could do...if he got serious?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the UFC markets to the same crowd as the WWE. I think that alot of the hype and what we think of as BS is just a "storyline" as you would see in the WWE. It is designed to create controversy and interest in the events.

PS: I am NOT saying that the fights are scripted/planned like a WWE match, only the buildup and drama of it before the fights.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Punished73...very good Dana white says he was a WWE fan as a youth...Muhammad Ali got his hype inspiration from Gorgeous George a pro wrestler in the 50's...Ali stated it on several occasions as did Angelo Dundee...Dana White is the Master of hype and building drama....wrestling has been very good at this over the years!

jasonbrinn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hmmmm...

1. Roy Nelson has a 17-7-0 record with 10 KOs and 5 subs.

2. Dana White has NO record except as a sub-par promoter and loud potty mouth.

3. STFU nugget (Dana White)!

Roy is Roy so props to him for keeping it real and proving that the "standard" MMA formula isn't the only way to the top. Dana has hated on Roy from day 1 simply because he is overweight. Roy only got into the UFC based on his record and that has been the only thing that's kept him there. Truth is Dana doesn't want to promote Roy as a UFC winner because he thinks he's fat.

Wouldn't be cool if Roy offered to fight Dana for a grudge match, one hard tied behind his back - talk about pay-per-view profit!

Jason Brinn

PoolMan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A lot of fighters have a beard and/or a crazy hair style so that doesn't really matter in my opinion. Nelson could lose some weight though for various reasons. I think he could be a better fighter and get more endorsements if he does this. On the other hand though I just gotta say that I have never liked the way Dana White carries himself. He talks about about how good Nelson could be if he made some changes, how about how good the UFC could be if White made some changes. No other head of a major professional sport organization talks and/or acts like White does (ie: the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc.). He talks tough and curses a lot and then wonders why he and the UFC get no respect. He needs to start acting like a professional. If he did this and also demanded it of his athletes as well then I think the UFC and MMA in general could reach its' full potential.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To be honest, I haven't watched any of the latest UFC events, so I can't even recall seeing a fight with Roy. In the early UFC days, we'd see a wide variety of people. I recall some people who weren't in the greatest shape, got gassed fairly quick, if they couldn't KO the guy, yet those big guys dropped some heavy bombs. Fast forward to present time, and it seems like everyone is in shape.

Looking at his info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Nelson_(fighter)

it doesnt look like he's a slouch when it comes to fighting, and more importantly, winning. IMO, I think Dana is being a bit too picky. Like I said, in the early days, you had some very fat guys. I don't think that Roy is in that category. I say let him fight!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Dana will let him fight....problem is Roy is always complaining....why don't I get endorsements...Dana says lose the weight and cut your hair and you will...he won't listen so no endorsements...he is cutting off his nose to spite his face....
Roy is chasing windmills...a rebel without a clue!!!!!

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the UFC markets to the same crowd as the WWE. I think that alot of the hype and what we think of as BS is just a "storyline" as you would see in the WWE. It is designed to create controversy and interest in the events.

PS: I am NOT saying that the fights are scripted/planned like a WWE match, only the buildup and drama of it before the fights.

So does Boxing and just about everything else. Nothing wrong with Capitalism.