Dallas?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good grief, I didn't watch it when it was new...and back then the characters looked individual....why on earth does anybody watch it now?

Dearest husband has recorded the show on the DVR (not complaining about that, I have Legends of Korra recording - but I never watch it...)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess it must say something about the age of the series that no one has chosen to comment. when that series was on every week, there were some episodes that stole just about the entire USA television watching public.

I am guessing you must have watched re-runs?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It will shock Gran not at all that there was largely only one reason why I would abide to sit on the sofa whilst Dallas was on ...

$victoria-principal-pictures-4dcd719bcb150f4e5fe05bbc6a2d3e1d.jpg

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess it must say something about the age of the series that no one has chosen to comment. when that series was on every week, there were some episodes that stole just about the entire USA television watching public.

I am guessing you must have watched re-runs?

No. The whole family (extended actually, we were at my grandma's house) piled into the TV room to watch the premier since it was hailed as such a great new show. I found it to be blah. I don't think I watched more than maybe two episodes total, snippets here and there (same for the show to dethrone it, Dynasty). I don't know who shot JR, and never really cared.

It will shock Gran not at all that there was largely only one reason why I would abide to sit on the sofa whilst Dallas was on ...

View attachment 16983

LOL, yes, I am so surprised! ^_~

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been watching the new Dallas and I'm pretty impressed. When it was on I was a kid, but being a child of the 80's I had to check it out when it came back. So far I have enjoyed it greatly and that's saying a lot because there are no explosions, boobs, fight scense or comedy.

It's really well written. Well acted. The cinematography is just lavish, it looks huge, the colors are bright, it looks better than many movies.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
granfire - I am pretty much with you. I think I may have watched a few more episodes. There really were times when there was nothing on of more interest to me, and I had no books to read. ;-) But for the most part, I just couldn't get into it. Nor Dynasty as Omar B mentioned. A personality fault on my part no doubt.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Omar has a point I do have to say. Altho I protest greatly about how bad it was, I think that's just me covering up the fact that I watched quite a bit of it when it was on the first time round :eek:. Compared to the gritty, kitchen-sink, drama we usually had on the TV, Dallas was like the circus coming to town!

Not that I didn't think the darker drama wasn't good, because it represented what is best about British stage craft brought to the little screen. But Dallas, with is's vast colour-scapes and dazzling women was a real change of pace for us over here.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL, if Omar says it is well written and shot, I will have to concede that. :asian:
(but I am still not watching it. There is more interesting stuff on TV I am not watching at this time.)

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not an action show, or comedy, or Sci-fi, but it's got me hooked and that says a lot.

For those who are interested, the first 4 episodes were directed by Michael M Robin. He's the guy who has directed and produced some of the greatest episodes of NYPD Blue, Popular, Trust Me. But the big feather in his cap is as director/co-creator of Nip/Tuck. I think this show has got some great pedigree if it's coming from that Stephen Botchco/NYPD Blue lineage.

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm with Omar on this one. As a fan of the original series when it was first run (a fact that I still thank/blame my mother for) I had to check the new one out. I'm willing to quite happily munch on popcorn for that hour per week and stick it out...

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ewings to Return to Southfork as TNT Orders Second Season of Hit Series “Dallas,” From Warner Horizon Television
Basic Cable’s #1 New Series Averaging 6.9 Million Viewers
TNT has renewed the hit series Dallas for a second season. The Warner Horizon Television-produced drama, which ranks as basic cable’s #1 new series, is currently averaging 6.9 million viewers in its first season. TNT has ordered 15 episodes for its second season, which is slated to air in 2013. ...

“Dallas has been a success for us on every level: pitch-perfect writing, smart directing and buzz-worthy performances by a new generation of stars and their iconic counterparts,” said Michael Wright, president, head of programming for TNT, TBS and Turner Classic Movies
(TCM). “With Dallas’ top-flight ratings, robust growth through time-shifted viewing and the extensive online buzz, it’s clear the Ewings of Southfork have once again captured the imagination of viewers.” ...
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/dallas-tnt-second-season-23646/

The show is officially a hit. 12 episodes in the first season and a second season pickup of 15.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ewings to Return to Southfork as TNT Orders Second Season of Hit Series “Dallas,” From Warner Horizon Television
Basic Cable’s #1 New Series Averaging 6.9 Million Viewers
TNT has renewed the hit series Dallas for a second season. The Warner Horizon Television-produced drama, which ranks as basic cable’s #1 new series, is currently averaging 6.9 million viewers in its first season. TNT has ordered 15 episodes for its second season, which is slated to air in 2013. ...

“Dallas has been a success for us on every level: pitch-perfect writing, smart directing and buzz-worthy performances by a new generation of stars and their iconic counterparts,” said Michael Wright, president, head of programming for TNT, TBS and Turner Classic Movies
(TCM). “With Dallas’ top-flight ratings, robust growth through time-shifted viewing and the extensive online buzz, it’s clear the Ewings of Southfork have once again captured the imagination of viewers.” ...
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/dallas-tnt-second-season-23646/

The show is officially a hit. 12 episodes in the first season and a second season pickup of 15.

Still not watching it :)

Latest Discussions