Cut kick defense

no_kata

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I just joined a new gym where there are fighters from virtually every art. So far I've only been exposed to Muay Thai and some of the things I am seeing are throwing me off. One guy last night beat the hell out of me with what he called a cut kick which I believe is a Kung Fu kick. It starts out as a round kick with no extension. Once you get perpendicular with the opponent's centerline then your leg fires forward into a side kick. What is the counter or defense to this kick? I thought about dropping my center and using my shoulder and elbow to block the kick. Alternatively I could try to deflect the kick with an elbow strike.

Is there a way to counter this kick though? I thought about side stepping and doing a sweeping round kick to his support leg or back.

Thanks for the help.

gblnking

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I just joined a new gym where there are fighters from virtually every art. So far I've only been exposed to Muay Thai and some of the things I am seeing are throwing me off. One guy last night beat the hell out of me with what he called a cut kick which I believe is a Kung Fu kick. It starts out as a round kick with no extension. Once you get perpendicular with the opponent's centerline then your leg fires forward into a side kick. What is the counter or defense to this kick? I thought about dropping my center and using my shoulder and elbow to block the kick. Alternatively I could try to deflect the kick with an elbow strike.

Is there a way to counter this kick though? I thought about side stepping and doing a sweeping round kick to his support leg or back.

Thanks for the help.

The upper body shouldn’t block kicks if at all possible. Use a leg check. When you see his knee/foot rising up pop him in the knee/upper shin with the your foot. Move in and take his space.

OP
N

no_kata

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The upper body shouldn’t block kicks if at all possible. Use a leg check. When you see his knee/foot rising up pop him in the knee/upper shin with the your foot. Move in and take his space.

It's a really weird kick that's coming at me. His leg isn't close enough in order to do a leg check. I think the only way I could do stop his kick is to fire a defensive foot jab at his torso in order to throw him back and off balance.

I would still like to find a way to take out that support foot. After landing on his butt a few times I would think he would stop trying to throw that kick.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
he misses the roundhouse then first the side kick? So, if he doesn't miss the RH kick, he can't shoot the side kick. I am giong to guess that you are backing away from the RH?

In other words, move forwards inside the RH kick and around the circle on it so it won't have any power. That is, if he is kicking with his right, move forward with your right foot and close the distance (think - close enough to hit him with right elbow). His kick might connect but much further along its arc than he anticipates, it will be weak and he will be off balance to some degree.

OP
N

no_kata

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
he misses the roundhouse then first the side kick? So, if he doesn't miss the RH kick, he can't shoot the side kick. I am giong to guess that you are backing away from the RH?

In other words, move forwards inside the RH kick and around the circle on it so it won't have any power. That is, if he is kicking with his right, move forward with your right foot and close the distance (think - close enough to hit him with right elbow). His kick might connect but much further along its arc than he anticipates, it will be weak and he will be off balance to some degree.

He fakes with a round kick so that you bring the leg check up. Once he rotates his hips to where he's facing to my right he throws a side kick to the torso.

So instead of slipping the kick simply advance and close the distance? I think any power shot(knee, uppercut or hook) to the stomach would get him to stop with that kick.

Thanks guys. If you have any more suggestions feel free to post them.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The switch step is a classic defense. You still get hit, but it's on the outside of the other leg rather than the inside of the one he was aiming for. It's at a different range and angle, so you aren't getting the full force of the blow. The main advantage is that it's fast.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He fire's the cut kick and you angle and kick upwards to the groin. Works all the time. (Your A is simply fast to B) Of course if you are sparring without groin shots you will have an angry partner.
icon6.gif

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Have a look at some Royce Gracie bouts for inspiration
Just use your foot to prod your opponent (ie don't commit)
I use this all the time and people think that you are going to kick me and either move forward or move backwards!! Either way it stops them using kicks they like

Bear in mind that you are talking about long range sparring stuff and in real fights you are barely going to have enough room to start using big kicks. I just come in hard and fast and destroy MT guys before they have time to get warmed up

Gurokevin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When you start the match, just move in all the way and beat the snot out of him. Then he can't kick you. And if he tries either move in and jam him, or move completely out and then move back in. I have a 3 step rule for fighting.
1. Punch them in the head
2. Punch them in the head
3. Punch them in the head

And if number 2 or 3 don't work, go back to number 1. :)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you start the match, just move in all the way and beat the snot out of him. Then he can't kick you. And if he tries either move in and jam him, or move completely out and then move back in. I have a 3 step rule for fighting.
1. Punch them in the head
2. Punch them in the head
3. Punch them in the head

And if number 2 or 3 don't work, go back to number 1. :)

Nice work if you can get it. It must be nice to completely dominate the range, hit him in the head at will without letting him hit you and always make him play you're game. Some of us end up against guys who are as fast, strong and skilled as we are. At that point it's what we call a "fight".

tenth1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i feel that if you close range with him quickly he will find it more difficult to use this kick, force him to play at close range where wing chun excells and you could frustrate his long range kicking game.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
1. don't fall for the fake side kick.
2. follow him closely so that he is not able to get on the outside or under the hands. for example, the swiching step will at least make the attack less effective.
3. do not allow your hands to leave the centerline unguarded and the midsection open.
4. if you block with the soles of your feet or shins if need be you can concentrate better on followups.
the main target for this kick is chest, belly head. so by covering those parts or baracing to evade linear attack should be more than enough to counter.

j

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
1. don't fall for the fake side kick.
2. follow him closely so that he is not able to get on the outside or under the hands. for example, the swiching step will at least make the attack less effective.
3. do not allow your hands to leave the centerline unguarded and the midsection open.
4. if you block with the soles of your feet or shins if need be you can concentrate better on followups.
the main target for this kick is chest, belly head. so by covering those parts or baracing to evade linear attack should be more than enough to counter.

The main target for the cut kick is the inside of the leg, not the torso or head. It's usually performed when the opponent steps into range or is on one leg such as for a kick.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
oh ok...sorry. i think i may have read the move wrong. dunno how much of what i said applies.

j

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Thanks for the help.

Have you considered simple evasion (use of distance)?
What is the typical target for the kick? Me, I'd drill dropping elbows onto his foot/ankle. You know the distance that the kick needs to contact, with the hip rotation giving it a bit more range. Keep you're groin/abdomen back & drop an elbow into it. It's pretty fast if you practice.