Customised Form

SuperSnakeCrane87

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone ever created their own customised Wing Chun form?

Or been given a customised Wing Chun form?

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score

No. But I think Yip Chun or Yip Ching created something called the "4th form". Whatever the heck that is... LOL

In a sense...all WC forms are "customized" by the one passing it down. There are always slight variations and personal tweaks.

OP
SuperSnakeCrane87

SuperSnakeCrane87

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah you completely missed the point of what I was saying.

I created this thread for customized forms that people either created or recieved from other Wing Chun practitioners that they had a personal relationship with.

I see you're learning how to twist words and redefine them. Very good.

Specifically...custom forms that you yourself created or you yourself recieved

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah you completely missed the point of what I was saying.

I created this thread for customized forms that people either created or recieved from other Wing Chun practitioners that they had a personal relationship with.

I see you're learning how to twist words and redefine them. Very good.

Specifically...custom forms that you yourself created or you yourself recieved

Ok...calm down young fella...my reply has nothing to do with twisting or redefining. I gave a response based on how you phrased your question and how I interpreted it.
Hopefully now that you have provided more clarity...you'll receive responses that don't upset you. :rolleyes:

OP
SuperSnakeCrane87

SuperSnakeCrane87

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok...calm down young fella...my reply has nothing to do with twisting or redefining. I gave a response based on how you phrased your question and how I interpreted it.
Hopefully now that you have provided more clarity...you'll receive responses that don't upset you. :rolleyes:
Assuming emotion and tone through digital text = your mind

OP
SuperSnakeCrane87

SuperSnakeCrane87

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

You don't have my words...age regardless.

So let me ask you specifically...in the most monotone AI voice ever...did you ever create your own customised Wing Chun forms? or did you ever receive a customised Wing Chun form?

hunschuld

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You don't have my words...age regardless.

So let me ask you specifically...in the most monotone AI voice ever...did you ever create your own customised Wing Chun forms? or did you ever receive a customised Wing Chun form?

If your definition of a form is a long series of techniques then no however if you accept a short series like san sik as a form then yes.

I have many short movement chains that are my own. I have taught these to students as examples of ideas they should personalize. Most are 3 to 5 different things chained together to practice. Some to train body usage and footwork. Same to train kicks ,sweeps and throws. Some things are to train what I have problems with others to focus on what I found most useful from my sparring/fighting experiences.

I am sure I also received such things from many teachers.

OP
SuperSnakeCrane87

SuperSnakeCrane87

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If your definition of a form is a long series of techniques then no however if you accept a short series like san sik as a form then yes.

I have many short movement chains that are my own. I have taught these to students as examples of ideas they should personalize. Most are 3 to 5 different things chained together to practice. Some to train body usage and footwork. Same to train kicks ,sweeps and throws. Some things are to train what I have problems with others to focus on what I found most useful from my sparring/fighting experiences.

I am sure I also received such things from many teachers.

You know prior to this message I had never heard of San Sik (youtube search)
It reminds me of Ung Moon and there is quite a few things I would need explained by the looks of what I just saw
I almost wish I hadn't created this thread and been exposed to this form/movement sequence, because I am currently growing my Modern Arnis skills.

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Created forms, as in the collection and training of shapes, no. Never felt the need. Created drills, or the isolated development of certain attributes and actions, absolutely.

If by “customized” you mean utilizing shapes and actions already found within the forms of the system, then yes, I have been introduced to custom forms several times during various stages of my training.

Eventually as I began to better understand the Wing Chun system it became easier and more important to question the value of an individual’s custom form, especially in terms of how it was unique and what it offered towards the development of the overall concepts and principles of the system that the other 6 forms did not (Yip Man lineage, not Kulo or mainland san sik styles).

OP
SuperSnakeCrane87

SuperSnakeCrane87

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Created forms, as in the collection and training of shapes, no. Never felt the need. Created drills, or the isolated development of certain attributes and actions, absolutely.

If by “customized” you mean utilizing shapes and actions already found within the forms of the system, then yes, I have been introduced to custom forms several times during various stages of my training.

Eventually as I began to better understand the Wing Chun system it became easier and more important to question the value of an individual’s custom form, especially in terms of how it was unique and what it offered towards the development of the overall concepts and principles of the system that the other 6 forms did not (Yip Man lineage, not Kulo or mainland san sik styl

Ok interesting.
Are you comfortable talking about them
Im very curious about custom forms

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ok interesting.
Are you comfortable talking about them
Im very curious about custom forms
Sure, but my experiences are not all that particularly special. Just the result of being a perpetual student and training with different people over the years. I'm sure a lot of the guys here can chime in with their personal insight also.

I have been introduced to short knife and pole form sets, an extended dummy form, an open hand form that was meant to focus on weak areas of training, and other open hand forms that are very different from what most people in the Yip Man lineage are used to training. At the end of the day, the customization of forms has a broad definition. It has everything to do with how the functionality of the system as a whole is interpreted. And IMO, "custom" forms are often superfluous.

OP
SuperSnakeCrane87

SuperSnakeCrane87

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Its hard to say where forms should stop, because just about anything can be a form.

As a kid I loved hitting the wooden dummy, and enjoyed training with my childhood friends (the martial arts dream), but as an adult the forms are extremely special and beneficial to me.

34 now...I don't walk around with any wooden dummies, and there are no best friends I can pull from my pocket to train. I still have the forms. Its hard to take the forms away from someone. They are with you in best/worst hour, and not dependent on anyone but you.

OP
SuperSnakeCrane87

SuperSnakeCrane87

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have a few Wing Chun forms that are outside of the original six
Just unarmed forms
no custom weapon forms

Last edited:

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
and more important to question the value of an individual’s custom form,

IMO this is a critical part of ones journey. I have learned a ton of San Sik over the years, some were eye opening and immediately relevant...others left me scratching my head. Training time is precious...best not to dwell on San Sik that do not add valuable tools to ones combat tool box.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Since they qualify, I learned several San Sau over the years that more or less relate back to the main forms but better address practicality. When I was learning I always broke up the movements into smaller few move segments anyway. Often reversed moves and played around with it all in lut sau. We were always encouraged to view the forms as something like virtual libraries that we could access so there were never any issues.
In addition to those, we learned the competition form that Ip Ching put together called Chark Yiu. I found and still find it useful. It came about because he was asked to come up with a competition form for one of the Int'l WC events that were popular years back. Remembering words of his dad saying that one who could combine the essence of the 3 fist forms into one, would truly be amazing... he attempted to do that with CY. Some say it was his synopsis while others say its merely a competition form for show. Interestingly enough if we run the lineage back further, our elder fam the Chan Wah Sun folk have a form called Dai Lim Tau which already does that. So I find it fascinating Ip Man had that intuition and things kinda came full circle with his son... though the forms are vastly different.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Since they qualify, I learned several San Sau over the years that more or less relate back to the main forms but better address practicality. When I was learning I always broke up the movements into smaller few move segments anyway. Often reversed moves and played around with it all in lut sau. We were always encouraged to view the forms as something like virtual libraries that we could access so there were never any issues.
In addition to those, we learned the competition form that Ip Ching put together called Chark Yiu. I found and still find it useful. It came about because he was asked to come up with a competition form for one of the Int'l WC events that were popular years back. Remembering words of his dad saying that one who could combine the essence of the 3 fist forms into one, would truly be amazing... he attempted to do that with CY. Some say it was his synopsis while others say its merely a competition form for show. Interestingly enough if we run the lineage back further, our elder fam the Chan Wah Sun folk have a form called Dai Lim Tau which already does that. So I find it fascinating Ip Man had that intuition and things kinda came full circle with his son... though the forms are vastly different.

Never heard of Chark Yiu before, just took a look at it on YouTube, interesting form, looks like a combination of the 3 major Ip Man Forms. Thanks for posting about it

jlq

Green Belt
Reaction score
The "
The "Chan Wah Shun folk", i.e. the descendants of Chan Yu Min, who taught a mixed curriculum of Wing Chun and "Siulam Gung Fu", do not practice something called "Dai Lin Tau". They have 10 empty hand sets in their curriculum, but none by that name.
Indeed, the term "Dai Lin Tau" is only used by Gulo Wing Chun people, as the name of (usually) the second part of their "Sup Yi Lou"/"Sup Yi Sik", it seems.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The "

The "Chan Wah Shun folk", i.e. the descendants of Chan Yu Min, who taught a mixed curriculum of Wing Chun and "Siulam Gung Fu", do not practice something called "Dai Lin Tau". They have 10 empty hand sets in their curriculum, but none by that name.
Indeed, the term "Dai Lin Tau" is only used by Gulo Wing Chun people, as the name of (usually) the second part of their "Sup Yi Lou"/"Sup Yi Sik", it seems.
Sorry, i misspoke. The form I was trying to refer to is called Siu Lim. You're right, Dia Lim Tau is Gulo.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
IMO this is a critical part of ones journey. I have learned a ton of San Sik over the years, some were eye opening and immediately relevant...others left me scratching my head. Training time is precious...best not to dwell on San Sik that do not add valuable tools to ones combat tool box.
So are you telling me my "9 Evasions to Finger Poke in Eye", "Continuously Hopping on 1 Leg to Distract the Enemy", "Spitting into the Wind While Pointing to the Sky Misleading Fist" and "Cupping a Fart and Throwing It" are overly complicated, outdated and useless tactics? Is that what you are trying to tell me good Sir? If so you cannot possibly be a Wing Chun aficionado! I'll have you know my left handed metric hammer and glass screw driver are an invaluable part of my toolbox handed down to me by the founder of my sect, Sum Gwai Lo. A good day to you fine Sir I'll have no more of this silly talk.

OffendedOnyx

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No. But I think Yip Chun or Yip Ching created something called the "4th form". Whatever the heck that is... LOL

In a sense...all WC forms are "customized" by the one passing it down. There are always slight variations and personal tweaks.
Bro the 4th form is the dummy form!

Unsure who created it...

I also have a few customs! and lots of systemic classics

Latest Discussions