VOIN System, Any Good?

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just found this stuff on youtube. Looks like a very recent thing, but doesn't look too shabby.
I think a good chunk of it is 'borrowed' from elsewhere, but most things are these days, it seems there are only so many ways you can punch someone in the face.

Has anyone heard or seen anything of it?

Link for the youtube vids:
VOIN System - Russian Specnaz - YouTube

Any info would be appreciated
L

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have any first hand knowledge of the art, but I watched a bunch of the videos. I'm getting a Systema meets Krav Maga vibe from it. The techniques are reasonably solid and the practitioners move well. However, the videos are mostly demos rather than actual training, so I don't know what their training methods are like or how well they prepare you for actual combat.

Do you have a school near you that you were thinking of checking out?

OP
LibbyW

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't have any first hand knowledge of the art, but I watched a bunch of the videos. I'm getting a Systema meets Krav Maga vibe from it. The techniques are reasonably solid and the practitioners move well. However, the videos are mostly demos rather than actual training, so I don't know what their training methods are like or how well they prepare you for actual combat.

Do you have a school near you that you were thinking of checking out?

No nothing near me, but I do get a few opportunities to travel for seminars. I like to broaden my horizons now and again.
I stumbled across the vids while looking for something completely different and I thought it looked interesting. Like you said - a Systema/Krav type thing.
Thanks for the response Tony
L

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No nothing near me, but I do get a few opportunities to travel for seminars. I like to broaden my horizons now and again.
I stumbled across the vids while looking for something completely different and I thought it looked interesting. Like you said - a Systema/Krav type thing.
Thanks for the response Tony
L

I know nothing of the subject matter tbh, but I watched some of the vids at work, time permitting :D Thanks for posting :) Maybe geared towards the military, but some useful data for me at least.

RhythmGJ

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

New to the forum (but have been lurker) here.

I don't know about "voin," but I've been doing Systema for about a year. I like a lot about it. There are a couple things I don't though. It is very different from Karate, Judo, FMA, Fencing, or even Boxing (all things I've been involved in at various levels). While all of the above are contact sports/arts to one degree or another, Systema is only meant for combat/self-defense... BUT, they train very "realistically" (for want of a better term). Serious bare-knuckle striking, and I've also been hit with chains, whipped with a snake whip, and when they do knife training, they sometimes train with real (edged/sharp) knives. So, if Voin is anything like Systema, you've got to be prepared for that (physically and mentally/emotionally).

I'm training a bunch of other arts, so I'm not sure how long I'm going to hang in the Systema camp. There are some really cool concepts and applications in it, but I'm also 50 years old (be 51 in May), just getting back into MA, and not really interested in having any more maps of South-East Asia tattooed on my torso with the groups fists again (twice so far, plus the chain and whip stuff). So anyway, be forewarned...

White Belt

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, RythmGJ. I think you're going to like it here, old timer. :)

As for the OP - what Tony said.

OP
LibbyW

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

New to the forum (but have been lurker) here.

I don't know about "voin," but I've been doing Systema for about a year. I like a lot about it. There are a couple things I don't though. It is very different from Karate, Judo, FMA, Fencing, or even Boxing (all things I've been involved in at various levels). While all of the above are contact sports/arts to one degree or another, Systema is only meant for combat/self-defense... BUT, they train very "realistically" (for want of a better term). Serious bare-knuckle striking, and I've also been hit with chains, whipped with a snake whip, and when they do knife training, they sometimes train with real (edged/sharp) knives. So, if Voin is anything like Systema, you've got to be prepared for that (physically and mentally/emotionally).

I'm training a bunch of other arts, so I'm not sure how long I'm going to hang in the Systema camp. There are some really cool concepts and applications in it, but I'm also 50 years old (be 51 in May), just getting back into MA, and not really interested in having any more maps of South-East Asia tattooed on my torso with the groups fists again (twice so far, plus the chain and whip stuff). So anyway, be forewarned...

White Belt

Thanks for filling me in, I didn't know Systema was so focused on hard body training.
In so far as being whipped during training...that's a little bit serious isn't it...unless you liked it? :woot:
I'm no stranger to a bit pain and gain myself, during Iaido we'd often spar for fun, but unlike those wimpy kendo guys with all their armour, we never wore any. So that was a lot of pretty purple bruises, and one poor guy that thought it would be better to duck than side-step :dead: He got a lump on his head come up like a grapefruit.

Anywhoo, welcome to the site, hope you have fun.
L

RhythmGJ

White Belt
Reaction score
How long have you done Iaido? My fencing teacher also does Iaido and showed me a (very) little. We recently went up to Toronto to try a form of Kenjutsu called Yagyu Shinkage Ryu. As we were learning the first kata, he and I both lost a bit of concentration and I clocked him pretty good. Fortunately, they don't use bokken, but a type of shinai called fukushinai...

White Belt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
LibbyW

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
How long have you done Iaido? My fencing teacher also does Iaido and showed me a (very) little. We recently went up to Toronto to try a form of Kenjutsu called Yagyu Shinkage Ryu. As we were learning the first kata, he and I both lost a bit of concentration and I clocked him pretty good. Fortunately, they don't use bokken, but a type of shinai called fukushinai...

White Belt

Well I have finished my formal training now as I moved too far away from my Dojo. I practiced Muso Jikiden Eishen Ryu, which was a lot of fun. There is something quite rewarding to learning correct control of a blade.
I trained in Iai for around three years, with another two on/off. I still practice daily though. Once you have learnt the majority of the forms involved it is just a case of honing them until your sensei thinks your good enough to grade.

Yagyu Shinkage Ryu is pretty cool, lots of strikes to the hands and forearms, which is ideal if your opponent(s) have good defense. (Like those pesky Niten Ichi Ryu guys)

I remember performing Noto while slightly distracted once. I was using an iaito which had really good point on it, which wasn't so lucky for my hand. It's funny how often a tutor will say that "You must concentrate at all times!" yet it's so easy to loose that concentration when there are so many others around you all wielding swords or bokken :eek:
L

RhythmGJ

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I'm just getting started with Japanese sword, but I'm amazed at the amount of detail in "simple" moves and kata. In Iaido, I only know (not really well, actually) Ipponme Mai. In Shinkage, I only know one-half of the first (short!) kata, and it took about three hours to learn the basics!

White Belt

Latest Discussions