CrossFit and Martial Arts

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Crossfit fees are way too expensive IMO....

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

For a lot of people, totally true.

Ok, so here is an interesting tidbit I heard on the Fightworks podcast, a podcast dedicated to BJJ. The host interviewed one of the top trainers and this guy claimed that the current ADCC and Jujutsu world champion was training CF six days a week and jujutsu three times a week. I thought this was pretty awesome! I'm sure the strength training is probably allowing him to edge out his competition.

I can't imagine how difficult it would be to roll with someone who could consistently RX CF WODs. Those guys would be so ridiculously strong, just grabbing on holding onto anything they don't want you to be holding onto would be difficult.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree...fitness adds a level of combative advantage all its own. But if I were paying for crossfit AND martial arts instruction AND firearms training...etc. Id be in the poor house. ;)

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree...fitness adds a level of combative advantage all its own. But if I were paying for crossfit AND martial arts instruction AND firearms training...etc. Id be in the poor house. ;)

Try paying for MA instruction, CF, and living in Hawaii. Maybe we can split a Bud Lite in the poor house.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

I try to work it so my training group fees cover my CF and training fees, on target to just break even this year. Fingers crossed....

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone, that will even be better. Here is an example.

http://imageshack.us/a/img703/2963/heavenweight.jpg

Now, you just brought up a topic that has been itching under the surface of my consciousness. I train karate and all of the old pictures of the old masters have them working out with various weight training implements. We also have evidence of traditional training methods that incorporated this kind of training with kata. My conclusion is that this type of training was more integrated into practice of the MA than it is today. I'm really interested in this aspect of MA history right now. I'd love to bring this into my dojo.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now, you just brought up a topic that has been itching under the surface of my consciousness. I train karate and all of the old pictures of the old masters have them working out with various weight training implements. We also have evidence of traditional training methods that incorporated this kind of training with kata. My conclusion is that this type of training was more integrated into practice of the MA than it is today. I'm really interested in this aspect of MA history right now. I'd love to bring this into my dojo.

IMO, this kind of traditional equipment training make a big difference between the traditional MA and the modern MA.

In

- tradition MA approach, you use special weight equipment to "enhance" special technique. You think about MA when you work on your weight equipment. You can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
- modern MA approach, you may separate gym work out from MA work out. When you work out in your gym, you usually don't think about MA at all. You can't kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't do Crossfit because I work two jobs and would have no time to go there. Instead I do home-based fitness programs. Some people may say they are overpriced, but in the long run they don't cost any more than a gym or personal trainer. I do my best to buy only the ones that fall under the umbrella of "functional fitness." Lately I have been setting aside time to research different workout routines so that I can come up with one on my own. Why? Because it's a challenge. :) I like that the programs already have things laid out for me but, with all the knowledge I've gained over the years, I'd like to see if I can come up with something that would work just as well, then maybe beta test it on some fellow martial artists.

Latest Discussions