Cross Training For Taekwondoists?

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've been training in taekwondo for a while now, and I'm at a point where I would like to begain cross training in a different martial art. It would be interesting to hear others' opinions and suggestions on the type of style that best complements TKD. I would like to improve my hand strikes and grappling techniques, so perhaps Shotokan karate or hapkido? Thanks

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shotokan is very similar to TKD--it was TKD's base art.

Hapkido and TKD is a common combination. You might also look at more free-flow arts like Jeet Kune Do and the Filipino arts that fit in well with most other arts.

K

Kenpo Wolf

If you want some killer hand work, I would look into kenpo or arnis as was mentioned. I have no experience with jkd but I hear good things from those who do it. I suggest making friends with people in other styles and train with them. This way, you can make an educated decision on what style to cross train with, based on experience

BTW, What kind of studios are in your area? This will help us give you more advice

J

J-kid

Try boxing out with tkd gets you a powerful striking and dosnt conflict with your kicking they work good together. Your friend Judo-kid.

B

Bagatha

I LOVE Ju-jitsu. SOO fun. And you can apply it to TKD self defense routines. Muay thai is the most killer workout ever, very fun, I actually discovered that I was bored with TKD only after I started taking MT. It sparked a new interest for me in TKD, especially sparring.

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by cali_tkdbruin

I've been training in taekwondo for a while now, and I'm at a point where I would like to begain cross training in a different martial art. It would be interesting to hear others' opinions and suggestions on the type of style that best complements TKD. I would like to improve my hand strikes and grappling techniques, so perhaps Shotokan karate or hapkido? Thanks
Try to look for military TKD. But those schools are rare in the US, as a lot of people just quit after a few weeks because... It hurts.

OP
cali_tkdbruin

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpo Wolf

If you want some killer hand work, I would look into kenpo or arnis as was mentioned. I have no experience with jkd but I hear good things from those who do it. I suggest making friends with people in other styles and train with them. This way, you can make an educated decision on what style to cross train with, based on experience

BTW, What kind of studios are in your area? This will help us give you more advice

Thanks for the tips and I live in a suburb of Los Angeles so the variety of martial art styles taught in my area is fairly large. We're fortunate that there are so many MAs available to us here. :karate:

D

Dark Knight

Try Kenpo, you will not be disapointed. The concepts are very indepth.

Ju-Jitsu is a nice addition to most styles.

K

Kenpo Wolf

Originally posted by cali_tkdbruin

Thanks for the tips and I live in a suburb of Los Angeles so the variety of martial art styles taught in my area is fairly large. We're fortunate that there are so many MAs available to us here. :karate:

You people who live in the LA area SUCK!!!:) This is one of the reasons why I have often contemplated moving down there but I don't like congested areas.

OP
cali_tkdbruin

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why would the Karate Pup come at Southern Cal people like this last post? I guess he or she is still pissed off because the Lakers kicked the Sac Town Kings' asses in the playoffs a few months back.

Hey wait, I thought this forum was about respecting all the various martial arts and its practictioners. Go Cali, and that includes both north and south!

K

Kenpo Wolf

If you noticed the smiley, which was this:), you would realize it was an attempt at humor and no insult was intended. I'm sorry if some people took it the wrong way.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I trained in TKD for 10 years before "officially" training in other arts so I'll give you my experiences. Honestly the first thing you should try is boxing to really solidify your hand techniques. Boxing is the best for that. Now when I spar in TKD I feel like my hands are as good as my legs and I have 2 times as many excellent weapons. After that I would go with a form of submission grappling, not for anything it will add to TKD but to compensate for the one thing TKD doesnt traditionally touch at all.
After that do whatever seems fun! Personally I found Muay Thai to be great for TKD artists.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Damian Mavis

Honestly the first thing you should try is boxing to really solidify your hand techniques. Boxing is the best for that. Now when I spar in TKD I feel like my hands are as good as my legs and I have 2 times as many excellent weapons. After that I would go with a form of submission grappling, not for anything it will add to TKD but to compensate for the one thing TKD doesnt traditionally touch at all.

After that do whatever seems fun! Personally I found Muay Thai to be great for TKD artists.

I like that approach Damian. I hope that others get a chance to read your post and understand the logic behind this method.

Regards,

Latest Discussions