Counter to speed

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think people underestimate distance, angles and timing and just how important they are.

I spend a lot of time controlling the distance and training to do so. Down to weight placement of my opponent and my weight placement as an example. (my weight placement for explosiveness) I specifically specialize in trying to create a situation where my opponents weight is either too much on the back foot or too much on the front foot. Either situation with the right distance allows me to utilize my A to B speed to cover the distance and strike my opponent before they can do anything. I set this distance and weight displacement up with fakes and movement with angles to create the proper weight displacement and then it is all about timing.

Currently I am working on a video project in this area because this skill set is very relevant for IRT practitioners. It doesn't matter your size, attributes, etc. if you can control the distance and utilize the right angles and have the correct timing you will be effective!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To follow up on Brian's point ...

Superior timing and positioning (angles) can overcome speed. However, those do require that you have superior skills than your opponent.

Distance ... this is where proper implementation of your game plan can even the odds with an opponent who is faster and just as skilled. When you take away space, you take away movement. When you take away movement, you neutralize speed. Especially in grappling, if you can make the contest into a close range grinding pressure game it does wonders for shutting down fast opponents.
Thanks for the insight. I hope the strikers are paying attention.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
On the ground, whether you want to create space or eliminate space is fluid. In very general terms, when in an advantageous position, such as top mount, side control, back mount/back control, etc, you will try to eliminate space and control your opponent.

From a disadvantageous or neutral position, you will generally want to create space and distance. From under any of the positions above, or from guard.

Now, to be clear, this is not always true. If I want you to drive into me, I will push you away first to get you to push back into me, and then pull you in.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. I hope the strikers are paying attention.
To apply the grinding close-in pressure game in a standup striking context, you need something to back your opponent up against. If you're sparring in the middle of an open floor, the faster guy can keep popping in and out, forcing you to make up the speed deficit with some other advantage (timing, footwork, etc). However if you can back your opponent up against an obstruction (wall, ropes, preferably a corner) then you can pin them in place and shut down their speed.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Down to weight placement of my opponent and my weight placement as an example. (my weight placement for explosiveness) I specifically specialize in trying to create a situation where my opponents weight is either too much on the back foot or too much on the front foot.
I was explaining and teaching this same thing last night in sparring class in the context of addressing a haymaker. They had difficulty in doing the technique where they would stop short and allow their partner to maintain their root. I'll probably have to do the technique in a free sparring environment before they really understand it. When done correctly the technique causes a shift in the opponents weight distribution and that is needed in order for the technique to be effective. Anything less means that the technique has to be muscled.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To apply the grinding close-in pressure game in a standup striking context, you need something to back your opponent up against.
You can do this against aggressive fighters who press. They have a habit of only wanting to come forward, so when that person goes forward it creates a similar "traffic congestion." In short you are pinning them against their forward advance.

EMT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If your opponent is too fast just slow him down with heavy leg kicks. Ups, I think we are coming from a different background :) Anyway, I train Muay Thai but I've still learned a kimura and a few other joint locks just to be more versatile. It won't hurt to mix it up

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was explaining and teaching this same thing last night in sparring class in the context of addressing a haymaker. They had difficulty in doing the technique where they would stop short and allow their partner to maintain their root. I'll probably have to do the technique in a free sparring environment before they really understand it. When done correctly the technique causes a shift in the opponents weight distribution and that is needed in order for the technique to be effective. Anything less means that the technique has to be muscled.

Yes this is a skill that can be advantageous whether in striking or takedowns and it takes awhile to learn. Getting your opponent to be on their heels or have forward weight at the right time is a skill that we can work on repeatedly. I have a drill that I utilize with practitioners to demonstrate this. It is a pre-sparring drill all geared at controlling the distance and getting your opponent to place their weight on a leg to their disadvantage at exactly the same time you are putting your weight at an advantageous position to attack. Hard to describe here on the internet but easy to do so in person.

When I was younger I utilized this but to be honest my A to B speed some times made it possible for me to get away with making mistakes. As an older practitioner I don't want to make those mistakes anymore. So as I age I spend a lot more time on the smaller details so that even as I lose some speed it seems like I haven't because I control the distance, the angles and my timing is better.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Two of the best things I was ever taught - In striking, "when he moves, you move:. (This doesn't necessarily mean let him move first)

Grappling - "Jiu-jitsu is all about taking away space."

Simplified, I know, but both have served me well.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I beat speed with technique all the time. I'm not the fastest attacker in the school, but I'm fast enough and when I'm not then I rely on techniques to make up what I lack in speed.
I mean speed in its every sense. Reaction speed, thinking speed and physical speed.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the ground, whether you want to create space or eliminate space is fluid. In very general terms, when in an advantageous position, such as top mount, side control, back mount/back control, etc, you will try to eliminate space and control your opponent.

From a disadvantageous or neutral position, you will generally want to create space and distance. From under any of the positions above, or from guard.

Now, to be clear, this is not always true. If I want you to drive into me, I will push you away first to get you to push back into me, and then pull you in.
Some similarities in standing grappling. Have to include some principles from striking, because of footwork, but otherwise the principles hold.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean speed in its every sense. Reaction speed, thinking speed and physical speed.
Those are not necessarily linked, though. "Thinking speed" is actually mostly pattern recognition (there's not enough time for a lot of conscious thought). "Reaction speed" is also mostly driven by pattern recognition (the earlier you recognize the pattern, the shorter the delay to response). Physical speed is independent of those.

So, if your comment was about training pattern recognition to speed reactions, I'm with you. Pair that with Brian's point about purposeful strategy and purpose-designed tactics, and you have an effective counter to physical speed.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes this is a skill that can be advantageous whether in striking or takedowns and it takes awhile to learn. Getting your opponent to be on their heels or have forward weight at the right time is a skill that we can work on repeatedly. I have a drill that I utilize with practitioners to demonstrate this. It is a pre-sparring drill all geared at controlling the distance and getting your opponent to place their weight on a leg to their disadvantage at exactly the same time you are putting your weight at an advantageous position to attack. Hard to describe here on the internet but easy to do so in person.

When I was younger I utilized this but to be honest my A to B speed some times made it possible for me to get away with making mistakes. As an older practitioner I don't want to make those mistakes anymore. So as I age I spend a lot more time on the smaller details so that even as I lose some speed it seems like I haven't because I control the distance, the angles and my timing is better.
Okay, now I want to get around you sometime when you're teaching that exercise, Brian. I like the concept, rather a lot, and could use another tool for working on it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For striking you have to preempt them. Which is a bit crap because it doesn't work as effectively as being faster.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Even if you have all of that. It still maybe possible to overcome speed. It will be extremely difficult but not impossible.