BJJ and Me. First post in the forum!

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been training in bjj for some time now, as I approach the big 40, I have come to the conclusion that I will never be able to do some of the techniques. But that is ok.
What I have also learned that I can and still do bjj. I just "try to" do my game and don't let my partner force their game on me. Now some of you may say "well thats a given". But I think is is harder than just saying "I will play my game" In my club, the next youngest person is 15 years younger that I am. Had bjj been available to me and had I been interested in my late teens or early 20's it wouldn't be so bad, I don't believe. I think the depth of technique that is in bjj may cause a lot of older guys to move on. It is very frustrating to roll with someone who has a dynamic game and you feel like you can't even catch up let alone attack!

So even more so, especially if you are training for fun and enjoyment, it is important to leave your ego out of it. I tap just as much now as I did when I was a new white belt. One of our guys is a **** hot 3 stripe white that give me problems every single time we roll! He is young, strong, fast and smart. A hell of a combination. So how do I handle it. By sticking to the basics; by thinking how is my base? Whats my structure like? Where are my arms, where are his arms? Am I moving my hips? Am I attacking when I should, not just attacking all the time? How's my bottom game, am I using my feet and hands or just one pair? Is my bottom game active or passive? I used to use guard as a resting place to catch my breath and wait for them to do something. Sometime I still have to do that :). It's not like the old days when the guys in guard didn't know what to do and you could chill out and cook them down. Now I try to open my guard before it gets opened for me, that way I dictate when I happens and I am not scrambling to catch up. But I try to take my breathers on top.
Top game, am I locking him down? Slow and steady is the rule. Move when you need to. Don't take anymore than my partner gives, but don't take any less either!
I don't feel I have to roll with everybody in the room, it's ok to say no. Just so long as it is not ego driven. If I didn't want to roll cuz i would get tapped or look bad, or the new white belts will laugh at me. I would soon be finding excuses to not go the club at all.

Remember you are training for you. Have fun!

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A very well written post! That can be applied to many styles. Most tend to get smarter as they age, and while they can't perform the more eye catchy moves, their technical knowledge of the art pays off much more.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Bravo! Well said.

I too am one of the older people in my club and female to boot...so usually smaller than most. Just accepting what I can do, and doing it to the best of my ability, is key to having a "game" at all. If I try to pattern my game on my instructors and what he is capable of I would be horribly frustrated. He is almost ten years younger, almost a foot taller and a hundred pounds heavier than myself.

BJJ is something you have to develop to suit your strengths and compensate for your weaknesses.