Competition Readiness: Need some Help

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So I want to participate in a competition in the future. I'm a big guy. No doubt. But I've never participated in wrestling or bjj competitive matches. The only thing I've done is basketball and football. That kind of thing. So now that I've got my mind on a competition, I need to prepare. Plus I can't rank up until I participate in one (instructor really loves my technique and says that I need a competition under my belt to get an idea of going against people I don't know/train with regularly).

So what tips do y'all have for competitions? One of my big concerns is that I'm a big guy. I carry a lot of extra weight in the stomach and I feel like it slows me down, but I'm also very fond of using my weight to give me that edge. I don't feel like it would hurt me to lose even 30 pounds before I compete as I put my weight down properly now (been working on this for over a year). Do I need to try and build up some kind of game plan? Go in in a reaction? I have no clue what to do and I would love to learn.

Ps

I have none scheduled. So I have time to get ready lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think you're worrying too much about the outcome, how you will look, yadda, yadda. Do you trust your instructor? If so, go have some fun, you'll probably love it.

Besides, you'll be competing against other big guys. No worries. Honest.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At the end of the day best thing to do Is put it in perspective, if you lose what happens? Does someone die, will you never be able to compete again, will you be kicked out of training and all your friends and family abandon you and you lose your house your job and all your money? No course not all that happens is you don't get a metal cup that's it, just enjoy it if you win awesome if you lose first minute into the first match who cares life goes on you learn you improve you get better you come back.

That's the attitude I have every time I compete.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with the other guys. But eating a few salads wont kill you either.

For our guys it is whether we could have done more in prep that determines if we can be proud of a loss.

So yeah do a fight camp. Lose weight. Fitness up clean up your basics. And compete with the best chance you can.

OP
S

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think you're worrying too much about the outcome, how you will look, yadda, yadda. Do you trust your instructor? If so, go have some fun, you'll probably love it.

Besides, you'll be competing against other big guys. No worries. Honest.

I can't help it. I grew up in a competitive family. If I can't give it my best, then I might as well not try ;).

But seriously...I do trust my instructor. He has had us focusing on the ground game and I feel very comfortable if I'm against anyone who trains BJJ regularly. I feel I will have an edge in stand up. I'm more concerned about my overall physical fitness and being able to maintain a quality game.

I've never really done a competition so I am mainly wondering how I maintain that fitness and what is the right shape? Endurance and stamina? Cardio? That kind of thing. I will be leading classes in a few weeks (instructor is having health issues), and I'm think about doing some round robin stuff to see how comfortable we are with that conditioning.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some things we do. Situational resisted drills. So say,have them start with back control. You have to escape.

You can switch out a partner each time. To get a cardio drill out of it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can't help it. I grew up in a competitive family. If I can't give it my best, then I might as well not try ;).

But seriously...I do trust my instructor. He has had us focusing on the ground game and I feel very comfortable if I'm against anyone who trains BJJ regularly. I feel I will have an edge in stand up. I'm more concerned about my overall physical fitness and being able to maintain a quality game.

I've never really done a competition so I am mainly wondering how I maintain that fitness and what is the right shape? Endurance and stamina? Cardio? That kind of thing. I will be leading classes in a few weeks (instructor is having health issues), and I'm think about doing some round robin stuff to see how comfortable we are with that conditioning.

I feel you, bro. But no worries, your family probably won't be competing at the same tourney. :)

Look at it this way - if you go, it will be an educational, fun experience, where you'll meet some like minded people, some of them really nice. If you don't care for the tourney thing, you don't go back. Not really a big loss nor a waste of time.

If you do like it,(God have mercy on your soul) you will never need motivation to get in shape again.

Go have yourself some fun. You've earned it. And either way it turns out, we still like you. :)