Cook thinks about nationality switch

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This doesn't sound like a true nationality switch. He may switch the team he is playing for, and he may be seeking American or French citizenship to play for said team, but I would be quite surprised if the process involved his UK citizenship being forcibly revoked or even willingly surrendered. It seems far more likely that this would result in dual citizenship for Mr. Cook...at least if he comes to our shores.

Either way, I would really like to see the man in formal competition! I wish him the best with whatever path he chooses.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Looks as if GBR will allow it...he can compete after he gets citizenship if governing body will approve it...highly doubtful based on track record...if not it is a 3year weight...

I think that the Lopez clan will try to block this....Steven is afraid to compete....I wonder if the USAT will try to keep him out....Aaron is in the USA right now training with Remark...

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I disagree with this practice. Being a member of a national team should be about representing your country, not personal glory.

If he has legitimate ties to the US or France, well ok, but if not, I think it's a poor practice to trade in your loyalties like that.

I don't agree with this. In UK he can't get in OS and he has sacrificed a lot so a France would be good idea.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Markku...I almost always agree with you but on this one it should be USA...I woul love to see him turn the USAT on it's head!

He has to make the best choice for him!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
France might be easier as EU citizens can work freely within the EU so he needs no permits etc. He is saying though that competing for another country is a 'worst case scenerio' for him, it's really up to those idiots in TKD's governing body here to sort it, the mess is of their making not his.

Latest Discussions