Conor McGregor is at it again

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This guy is garbage. I wish Khabib would come out of retirement and kick has *** again.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This guy is garbage. I wish Khabib would come out of retirement and kick has *** again.
That would mean he gets another payday. I'm not inclined to give him that. He needs to be retired from the UFC, and frankly, I would hope that someone in his inner circle can convince him to get some help.

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
meh, I think he's just an expert at courting controversy, and staying 'relevant' ie present in pop media headlines. After the leg injury he's been hard at it.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
meh, I think he's just an expert at courting controversy, and staying 'relevant' ie present in pop media headlines. After the leg injury he's been hard at it.
Yeah but what does that say about him and the UFC? I guess what I’m suggesting is that he should stop being rewarded for this behavior.

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah but what does that say about him and the UFC? I guess what I’m suggesting is that he should stop being rewarded for this behavior.

Absolutely, it's been well documented that the UFC as an organisation has shifted (even) further toward WWE style 'character/hero/heel' development. I'd argue however that Conor as an individual drove much of that.

The reward comes directly from the viewing public by way of PPV revenues. I certainly agree that the rewarding of negative behaviour is unfortunate. But then I am a misanthrope after all.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

It's part of the reason I've migrated over to One. UFC has been pushing fighters to the forefront that can generate the most controversy while leaving other fighters on the wayside. That crap works in the WWE, but not in MMA.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's part of the reason I've migrated over to One. UFC has been pushing fighters to the forefront that can generate the most controversy while leaving other fighters on the wayside. That crap works in the WWE, but not in MMA.

Blowing up in Dana's face a bit with Paul Logan figuring out he doesn't even need the ufc platform to do that.

You know I should go one better and not even fight. Just a huge messy lead up to one.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Blowing up in Dana's face a bit with Paul Logan figuring out he doesn't even need the ufc platform to do that.

You know I should go one better and not even fight. Just a huge messy lead up to one.

Yep. Dana also shortchanges some fighters and pays them peanuts. I know for a fact that Ryan Hall for example makes WAY more money making BJJ tapes than fighting in the UFC. That's ridiculous, and explains why so many UFC fighters are willing to get embarrassed by the Paul brothers in order to get a big payday.

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. I'd suggest that it was actually Chael Sonnen who started the UFC slide into this pro-wrestling garbage... then Connor took it to the next level.
I don't care how good someone can fight, if they come off as an ******* 24/7, I don't want to see anything from them. The Connor's and Chaels of the sport are why I don't watch the UFC at all anymore.
Guess I'm just an old fart TMA guy who's out of touch because he still things respect should be paramount in all areas of the martial arts.

Last edited:
OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Interesting point of view from Icy Mike:
That's a pretty bizarre take. I don't know how interesting it is. The key takeaway seems to be, violence... meh... but if you are a sociopath, your reaction to violence will be healthier (for you). And if it bothers you, you're pathetic.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's a pretty bizarre take. I don't know how interesting it is. The key takeaway seems to be, violence... meh... but if you are a sociopath, your reaction to violence will be healthier (for you). And if it bothers you, you're pathetic.

Or even that the rest of us are so insulated from confrontation that we needed an explanation as to what went on there.

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That's a pretty bizarre take. I don't know how interesting it is.
I find this interesting cause I would never think about this situation in this way, but i find this possible - there in MGK world is no violence and he cannot recognize threat.
Or just he do not give a ****.

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Interesting point of view from Icy Mike:
This about sums it up.
Icy Mike's explanation of the events (what happened and how each person reacted) seems about bang on. His conclusion is what I take issue with (though he's more likely trolling for click-bait... and it worked. This thread about McGregor is now about him).

The truth is, violence requires practice. Some call it adrenaline inoculation. If this celebrity 'musician' has never experienced a real violent encounter (add to that with one of the most dangerous fighters in the world) he's stuck with the standard instinctual 'fight/flight/freeze' response. This reaction was natural based on his (assumed) experience.

As the video said, there is a self defense leason to be learned. If someone doesn't want to feel the way MGK did, then they need to invest in training themselves to handle such encounters.

Of course McGregor wasn't bothered by the violence... he was the one trying to commit it! Not knowing how to deal with sudden violence makes a person untrained and vulnerable... not pathetic.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This about sums it up.
Icy Mike's explanation of the events (what happened and how each person reacted) seems about bang on. His conclusion is what I take issue with (though he's more likely trolling for click-bait... and it worked. This thread about McGregor is now about him).

The truth is, violence requires practice. Some call it adrenaline inoculation. If this celebrity 'musician' has never experienced a real violent encounter (add to that with one of the most dangerous fighters in the world) he's stuck with the standard instinctual 'fight/flight/freeze' response. This reaction was natural based on his (assumed) experience.

As the video said, there is a self defense leason to be learned. If someone doesn't want to feel the way MGK did, then they need to invest in training themselves to handle such encounters.

Of course McGregor wasn't bothered by the violence... he was the one trying to commit it! Not knowing how to deal with sudden violence makes a person untrained and vulnerable... not pathetic.
All true, except that the YT guy says at the outset that there was never any actual threat of violence. So, reacting with violence, or escalating in kind, would have been unhelpful. And had he fled, I can imagine what this guy's reaction would be. The only reaction to McGregor that this guy seems to endorse is to react in kind. In other words, the only thing MGK could have done that this guy would see as "healthy" is also act like a fool, and to be so comfortable acting like a fool that it doesn't bother you.

He also said (accurately) that if Conor Mcgregor wanted to actually hurt the guy, nothing MGK did would stop that. I agree. So, was MGK ever in any actual danger? No. Why are we talking about this as if he were?

So, his "freeze" response wasn't unexpected and it wasn't unreasonable. The last thing is his reaction to the event in the interview. To fault the guy for being upset about it after it happened is silly, unless the lesson is, if you're going to ever run into a giant d-bag who is going to act like a two bit, low class professional wrestler, it's healthier for you if you're a giant d-bag who acts the same way. "Hey, man. A professional, elite mixed martial artist was threatening you? How do you feel about that?"

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Icy Mike is missing an incredibly important aspect to self defence that MGK utilises.

Be rich. Pay someone else to handle that business for you.

Latest Discussions